WROR Wally Brine retiring
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WROR Wally Brine retiring

How long before Loren follows him..... I say March at the latest

With Beasley's takeover someone, I think @bostonradio on Twitter or maybe it was you, predicted both would be gone in 6 or 9 months. 35 years for L&R..started the same yr I started at WMWM

I have a friend that is with Beasley in another market, and they have given me some insight as to how they work, especially in taking over another group of stations.

It is their opinion, based on what happened in their cluster, that salaries are reduced, and by significant amounts.

It has been rumored that L&W get HUGE money.... BIG BIG BUCKS. Beasley is not going to pay anyone huge money..... there are a lot of people over in Dorchester that are in for a rude awakening

But the reality is he is 71 years old, he is going out on top and on his terms. Not many of us will ever have that luxury. Greater Media did not give that luxury to Tom Doyle who had his contract renewed at the same time the rest of the cast did....

Their last contract was inked in March of 2013, unless there was an extension I am not aware of.... so they are probably near the end of that deal....

Quote Originally Posted by MRBIboredop View Post

It has been rumored that L&W get HUGE money.... BIG BIG BUCKS. Beasley is not going to pay anyone huge money..... there are a lot of people over in Dorchester that are in for a rude awakening
    L&W do not make HUGE money. They make good money, aligned with their success and longevity. Nothing obscene.

As far as a rude awakening, I don't think anyone in Dorchester makes big money....Gr. Media was never one to pay anyone big bucks. So, I'm not sure what the "rude awakening" will be.

But the reality is he is 71 years old, he is going out on top and on his terms. Not many of us will ever have that luxury.
    Everyone is pointing to every movement by the janitor as a "Beasley move"...however, I don't think this had anything to do with the sale directly. As you stated, Wally's contract runs out at the end of this year. (So doesn't Loren's). Given his age, Wally decided he didn't want to do this anymore.

Wally has family, kids, (grand kids?)...and we know he likes to travel.

There were those that thought that we'd hear all sorts of changes on the air the day they took over (sweepers, etc.)

I don't think Beasley has made any changes, except which bank account the billing gets deposited in.

Like Johnster stated below. Beasley is in the big leagues now, and they cannot fail, given all the borrowed money. I don't think they will be slashing things left and right. I think most of the adjustments were made prior to the sale.
    Last edited by Wimmmex; 11-22-2016 at 02:17 PM.

I think you have to remember that this is a little different then many of their markets. With the accusation of GM Beasley is moving into major markets and to be competitive they know they will have to have some large salaries. And no one gets large salaries without bring in advertising dollars year after year. You loose the big names you loose the ratings. They are in the big league now and they know they will have to pay the people to play. I could see them cutting back in a lot of areas but not there.

Quote Originally Posted by johnster View Post
    I think you have to remember that this is a little different then many of their markets. With the accusation of GM Beasley is moving into major markets and to be competitive they know they will have to have some large salaries. And no one gets large salaries without bring in advertising dollars year after year. You loose the big names you loose the ratings. They are in the big league now and they know they will have to pay the people to play. I could see them cutting back in a lot of areas but not there.
    Tampa is Market 11, and they cut salaries there with a chain saw, including long time AM drive talent.

Tampa is Market 11, and they cut salaries there with a chain saw, including long time AM drive talent.

I spoke with two talents in Tampa...and they told me there were no salary cuts when Beasley took over.

(They did dump a sports format and let their staff go, as the station was the 2nd sports station and in 21st place.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wimmmex View Post
    I spoke with two talents in Tampa...and they told me there were no salary cuts when Beasley took over.

(They did dump a sports format and let their staff go, as the station was the 2nd sports station and in 21st place.)
    Yes the sports dump was to bring in Bubba The Love Sponge to AM drive and brand the station around him... which went well until Bubba got caught talking to and influencing PPM wearers.... yet he is still there but the branding changed a bit... it was / is a messy situation as Nielsen was going to sue him last I heard. Beasley didn't toss him overboard because he brings big bucks to the station.... never underestimate the stupidity of the listener.

Ask those talents what happened a few months after Beasley arrived.... that is when they started getting tight with the money.

Ask those talents what happened a few months after Beasley arrived.... that is when they started getting tight with the money.
    I told you what they said. "...they told me there were no "chain saw" salary cuts when Beasley took over."

(However, there were no raises either.)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast