What a surprise...Warm flips to all-Christmas - Page 3
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What a surprise...Warm flips to all-Christmas

Rob, that wasn't the point. I think My as a branding for 101.5 would totally make sense, probably tell the 25-54 female audience this is for sure their station. A 6+ bump in this case would just be a bonus. David, if 18-34 has more listeners than 55+, then why do new Christmas songs have such a hard time breaking through, yet the rest of the year stations can't get away from 1964 fast enough? A classic example happened a couple years ago, KKCW played a new song from Streight No Chaser, Text Me Merry Christmas as a preview a couple weeks before the actual flip. After the flip, it was nowhere to be found on the playlist, and I didn't hear it on the radio at all the rest of the season.

That song aired several times last year on KARY-100.9 in Yakima. Cannot stand that stupid song.
    731 AM's in the log, 536 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: KZTR-LP 103.5 Yakima, WA; 11/21/16
    Last New AM Log: 1460 KCNR Shasta, CA; 12/26/16

Quote Originally Posted by bobdavcav View Post
    Rob, that wasn't the point. I think My as a branding for 101.5 would totally make sense, probably tell the 25-54 female audience this is for sure their station. A 6+ bump in this case would just be a bonus.
    No Bob, you're missing THE point. You keep talking about 6+ numbers when they don't matter AT ALL. It's just a number Nielsen puts out to give newspaper columnists something to write about. So a 6+ bonus is like a nickle's worth of free advice. Meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by crainbebo View Post
    That song aired several times last year on KARY-100.9 in Yakima. Cannot stand that stupid song.
    That one and "Stop The Cavalry" along with "Christmas In The Northwest" should be band for life.

I've got a gut feeling this is a simple rebranding from Star 101.5 to My 101.5. I'm not sure where I'm getting this, but given that they win the target demo of women 25-54 but don't do well 6+, it would make some sense. One thing's for sure, I didn't see this coming. Sure I thought Star would be worried several months ago when Kiss was beating them 3 or 4 books in a row, but never thought they'd throw in the towel this soon if that is indeed what's happening.
    Why is there a conspiracy theory born when something happens outside of someone's comfort zone? Star is breadwinner in that building, changing anything makes no sense. It's probably Star simply wanting some of those huge Christmas numbers Warm gets all to themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by fordranger797 View Post
    What I am curious about is to whether or not KPLZ is alienating female listeners on the younger end of the demographic (particularly during the afternoon drive) due to the Christmas format being a dramatic shift from upbeat "Hot" AC.
    Every station that flips to all Christmas loses some audience, but they gain more people coming from other stations and get longer listening. Advertisers and agencies know this, they do not buy more during the summer because of Christmas numbers. The reasoning and purpose of going wall to wall Christmas has changed over the years.

David, if 18-34 has more listeners than 55+, then why do new Christmas songs have such a hard time breaking through, yet the rest of the year stations can't get away from 1964 fast enough?
    I think the issue is the nature of the season: tradition. And "tradition" in radio language is "predictability".

Over the years I have been to many Christmas music shows, ranging from Steamroller to various choral groups. They generally stick to the well known songs, and you (and they!) can tell when a song has less emotional appeal by the audience response. The big songs are at least a half century old... or much more.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by AQH View Post
    Why is there a conspiracy theory born when something happens outside of someone's comfort zone? Star is breadwinner in that building, changing anything makes no sense. It's probably Star simply wanting some of those huge Christmas numbers Warm gets all to themselves.
    AQH, if something wasn't up, they likely would have kept the Star branding

Where the heck do you come up with this stuff?

You totally lost me there.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast