What a surprise...Warm flips to all-Christmas - Page 2
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What a surprise...Warm flips to all-Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by bobdavcav View Post
    I've got a gut feeling this is a simple rebranding from Star 101.5 to My 101.5. I'm not sure where I'm getting this, but given that they win the target demo of women 25-54 but don't do well 6+, it would make some sense. One thing's for sure, I didn't see this coming. Sure I thought Star would be worried several months ago when Kiss was beating them 3 or 4 books in a row, but never thought they'd throw in the towel this soon if that is indeed what's happening.
    I wouldn't be surprised by a rebranding of KPLZ. The hot handles today are "My" and "Now". There is plenty of good Hot AC and/or AC music out there right now, and KPLZ might want to take advantage of that with a fresh new brand. How deep the changes might be are unknown.

Christmas music has proven to be most successful when done early, usually before Thanksgiving.

KPLZ definitely could stand to freshen up their image with a new branding. One question remains: How many Christmas stations in one market does it take before there is no longer a benefit in making a flip? While Warm 106.9 is well known in the market for being a Christmas outlet during this time of year, I doubt that many people associate Star 101.5 with the holiday season.

What, no respect in South Sound??? North Pole Radio 98.5 launched before anyone else... August or September...
    KSWW (AC) "Sunny" 102.1-101.1 -- KJET (Hot AC) "The Jet" 105.7-93.1 -- KANY (Hot Country) "Bigfoot" 107.3 -- KBKW (NewsTalk) "The Talk of Grays Harbor" 1450-100.5 -- KSWW HD-2 (Classic Rock) "The Quake" 103.9 -- KSWW HD-3 "Timber Country" 94.7<br />Keeping radio locally-owned on the Washington Coast.<br />Still using a microphone - 6:10-7:00 am - www.kbkw.com

KJR-FM flipped several holidays ago and they were almost equal to KRWM in the Holiday book, if I recall. They had flipped to their "Oldies 95.7" stint.
    733 AM's in the log, 536 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: KZTR-LP 103.5 Yakima, WA; 11/21/16
    Last New AM Log: 630 KIDD Monterey, CA; 1/31/17.

What I don't understand is the promos they're running. One of them says "it's so nice to have another choice for Christmas music." You've always had two choices, 105.3 being the other.

Quote Originally Posted by bossbill View Post
    What, no respect in South Sound??? North Pole Radio 98.5 launched before anyone else... August or September...
    And that's probably why it doesn't get mentioned. It's been the format from day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdavcav View Post
    I'm not sure where I'm getting this, but given that they win the target demo of women 25-54 but don't do well 6+, it would make some sense.
    Once again, repeat after me: "No one cares about 6+ numbers..."

And there isn't a single sane station manager who would "rebrand" to pick up those ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Piotrowski View Post
    Once again, repeat after me: "No one cares about 6+ numbers..."

And there isn't a single sane station manager who would "rebrand" to pick up those ratings.
    What I am curious about is to whether or not KPLZ is alienating female listeners on the younger end of the demographic (particularly during the afternoon drive) due to the Christmas format being a dramatic shift from upbeat "Hot" AC.

Quote Originally Posted by fordranger797 View Post
    What I am curious about is to whether or not KPLZ is alienating female listeners on the younger end of the demographic (particularly during the afternoon drive) due to the Christmas format being a dramatic shift from upbeat "Hot" AC.
    I looked at the LA station that does all-Christmas, and last year a full 20% of the audience was 18-34, with 35-44 being 20% and 45-54 being 17%. So two-thirds of the adult (18+) audience was under 55.

Christmas music has a definite appeal irrespective of the age; 18-34 listens more than 55-64 in fact.

Of course, about 2/3 of the quarter hours come from women.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by crainbebo View Post
    KJR-FM flipped several holidays ago and they were almost equal to KRWM in the Holiday book, if I recall. They had flipped to their "Oldies 95.7" stint.
    Things have changed since way back then. Music stations, primarily AC ones across the U.S. now go Christmas to drive untapped listening and holiday advertising revenue, then change back to their regular music right after.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast