• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What a surprise...Warm flips to all-Christmas

Yeah, this really isn't news, the only difference this year is the timing. Since Hubbard took over, they haven't been consistant at all as to the time of day they flip. Under Sandusky, it was always 3:00 today. The real story is what's going on at 101.5. Apparently they've dropped their format for all Christmas as 101.5 Santa FM. I'm really surprised nobody has picked that one up.

The real story is what's going on at 101.5. Apparently they've dropped their format for all Christmas as 101.5 Santa FM. I'm really surprised nobody has picked that one up.

Sorry for missing that one, Bobby. That's when happens when you're kept in the dark in Factoria, I guess...

Wow! 101.5 never flips to Christmas. I suspect the long time Hot AC format is over for KPLZ. Wonder what Sinclair has in mind for that station?

Wow! 101.5 never flips to Christmas. I suspect the long time Hot AC format is over for KPLZ. Wonder what Sinclair has in mind for that station?

I've got a gut feeling this is a simple rebranding from Star 101.5 to My 101.5. I'm not sure where I'm getting this, but given that they win the target demo of women 25-54 but don't do well 6+, it would make some sense. One thing's for sure, I didn't see this coming. Sure I thought Star would be worried several months ago when Kiss was beating them 3 or 4 books in a row, but never thought they'd throw in the towel this soon if that is indeed what's happening.

I've got a gut feeling this is a simple rebranding from Star 101.5 to My 101.5. I'm not sure where I'm getting this, but given that they win the target demo of women 25-54 but don't do well 6+, it would make some sense. One thing's for sure, I didn't see this coming. Sure I thought Star would be worried several months ago when Kiss was beating them 3 or 4 books in a row, but never thought they'd throw in the towel this soon if that is indeed what's happening.

I wouldn't be surprised by a rebranding of KPLZ. The hot handles today are "My" and "Now". There is plenty of good Hot AC and/or AC music out there right now, and KPLZ might want to take advantage of that with a fresh new brand. How deep the changes might be are unknown.

Christmas music has proven to be most successful when done early, usually before Thanksgiving.

KPLZ definitely could stand to freshen up their image with a new branding. One question remains: How many Christmas stations in one market does it take before there is no longer a benefit in making a flip? While Warm 106.9 is well known in the market for being a Christmas outlet during this time of year, I doubt that many people associate Star 101.5 with the holiday season.

What, no respect in South Sound??? North Pole Radio 98.5 launched before anyone else... August or September...

KJR-FM flipped several holidays ago and they were almost equal to KRWM in the Holiday book, if I recall. They had flipped to their "Oldies 95.7" stint.

What I don't understand is the promos they're running. One of them says "it's so nice to have another choice for Christmas music." You've always had two choices, 105.3 being the other.

I'm not sure where I'm getting this, but given that they win the target demo of women 25-54 but don't do well 6+, it would make some sense.

Once again, repeat after me: "No one cares about 6+ numbers..."

And there isn't a single sane station manager who would "rebrand" to pick up those ratings.

Once again, repeat after me: "No one cares about 6+ numbers..."

And there isn't a single sane station manager who would "rebrand" to pick up those ratings.

What I am curious about is to whether or not KPLZ is alienating female listeners on the younger end of the demographic (particularly during the afternoon drive) due to the Christmas format being a dramatic shift from upbeat "Hot" AC.

What I am curious about is to whether or not KPLZ is alienating female listeners on the younger end of the demographic (particularly during the afternoon drive) due to the Christmas format being a dramatic shift from upbeat "Hot" AC.

I looked at the LA station that does all-Christmas, and last year a full 20% of the audience was 18-34, with 35-44 being 20% and 45-54 being 17%. So two-thirds of the adult (18+) audience was under 55.

Christmas music has a definite appeal irrespective of the age; 18-34 listens more than 55-64 in fact.

Of course, about 2/3 of the quarter hours come from women.

KJR-FM flipped several holidays ago and they were almost equal to KRWM in the Holiday book, if I recall. They had flipped to their "Oldies 95.7" stint.

Things have changed since way back then. Music stations, primarily AC ones across the U.S. now go Christmas to drive untapped listening and holiday advertising revenue, then change back to their regular music right after.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom