• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

$15k fine for Worc. 102.3 pirate

FCC daily digest said a fine of $15,000 is proposed against a Worcester pirate at 102.3 (affected WKLB) after repeated warnings. (Also I can't find the complete info but NorthEastRadioWatch says on Twitter and FB that after 80 years WLLH has applied to shut off its synchronous transmitter in Lowell)

http://radioink.com/2016/11/10/15k-fine-worcester-pirate/

WLLH was always more Lowell than Lawrence.

I would think that the Lowell Transmitter would be the one to keep.

Also, I think Lawrence transmitter was the experimental one.

FCC daily digest said a fine of $15,000 is proposed against a Worcester pirate at 102.3 (affected WKLB) after repeated warnings. (Also I can't find the complete info but NorthEastRadioWatch says on Twitter and FB that after 80 years WLLH has applied to shut off its synchronous transmitter in Lowell)

http://radioink.com/2016/11/10/15k-fine-worcester-pirate/

WROR is affected by a Worcester pirate at 105.5 that at times, especially in the vicinity of downtown, makes WROR a very difficult listen with the interference. This pirate has been on for a number of years now.

So the pirate at 102.3 was still coming in loud and clear over the weekend. It's quite apparent that threatened fines don't have any effect on the operators of pirate stations. :(

Regarding the pirate affecting WROR, is that the reason I always hear music (the same music each time) in the background whenever L, W, Hank, LBF, Lungboy are chatting? Is that background music being played by WROR to squelch whatever is being played by the pirate? Or is the music being played by the pirate? Either way, it's incredibly annoying and I tend to tune out when L&W are chatting.

So the pirate at 102.3 was still coming in loud and clear over the weekend. It's quite apparent that threatened fines don't have any effect on the operators of pirate stations. :(

I think I've seen that a number of the Boston longtime pirates have been threatened numerous fines, but have continued on the air undaunted. It actually takes a raid, and confiscation to prevent them from moving the equipment elsewhere.

Regarding the pirate affecting WROR, is that the reason I always hear music (the same music each time) in the background whenever L, W, Hank, LBF, Lungboy are chatting? Is that background music being played by WROR to squelch whatever is being played by the pirate? Or is the music being played by the pirate? Either way, it's incredibly annoying and I tend to tune out when L&W are chatting.

WROR wouldn't be playing a program element in Boston to affect a pirate in Worcester, and if you're hearing the music clearly behind L&W, it's not coming from the pirate. Adjacent channel interference would be distorted, and it's unlikely that the pirate would be playing the same music whenever L&W happen to talk. I'm sure it's some generic music WROR plays to fill the sound behind the talk.

WROR wouldn't be playing a program element in Boston to affect a pirate in Worcester, and if you're hearing the music clearly behind L&W, it's not coming from the pirate. Adjacent channel interference would be distorted, and it's unlikely that the pirate would be playing the same music whenever L&W happen to talk. I'm sure it's some generic music WROR plays to fill the sound behind the talk.

FM doesn't work like that, it processes the stronger signal and ignores the weaker one. You never get the co-mingling (hetrodyning) that you hear when there are several AM's on the same frequency... the type of stuff you hear on AM at night if you are DX'ing.

The best I can figure is it is an adjacent that is not being rejected and due to a crappy RF section . Is there something on 94.9 ( 94.9 + IF freq of 10.8 would be 105.7)

WTAG is 94.9 right?

Or it is background music for a segment....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom