• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Interesting sounding small town stations?

KLKC 93.5--a station that is a mix of Hot AC and Adult Hits, the station goes from "Yeah!" to "Come Sail Away" to "Greenlight" by Flo Rida.
103.1 Grand Island--A CHR station--except it's almost all recurrents and golds that mostly don't usually get played, except for syndicated shows they play.
103.5 The Evolution Joplin--It's called "Music for Gen X" but it's mostly a hard rock station that mixes in a little bit of The Smiths, Psychedelic Furs, Death Cab for Cutie in its mix.
WKVI South Bend, IN--AC and Hot AC hits from previous decades all mixed together.
WREO Ashtabula, Ohio--Soft AC that mixes songs from the '70s to the present.

Have any others?

WWOD Woodstock, VT (studios in West Lebanon, NH) -- Unusually deep selection of '60s and '70s hits, sounds a lot like an oldies station of the early '90s rather than a 2000s classic hits station.

WIMI Ironwood MI "99.7 The Storm" - Adult hits station that airs a huge variety of 1960s-2010s music. Rock, pop, R&B, even some country stuff. They have the "90s at Nine" every weeknight which plays some rarities (and some common songs) from the 1990s.
KLAN Glasgow MT "Mix 93" - Hot AC/Soft Rock station, which plays a lot of unfamiliar newer acts, also has a good variety of 1970s-1990s cuts, including some rarities. I've heard everything from Rihanna, to rare Rick Springfield, to even Brothers Johnson ("I'll Be Good to You") from 1976! You can do whatever you want on a radio station in Glasgow, Montana...population 3,400.

Calls should have matched their 1240 AM in my opinion...KLTZ.
KLAN's "unfamiliar newer acts" seems to be a lot of Canadian artists and bands. Probably with them being so close to the Saskatchewan border! They aired a new hit by Alessia Cole, and a 2010 song by the rock band Finger Eleven called "Whatever Doesn't Kill Me" a couple hours ago. Mixed in with the newer stuff was Kool & The Gang, Genesis, and a song by Jude Cole from 1990, called "Baby It's Tonight". Very unfamiliar artist to me.

Last edited:
KELN in North Platte acts like a Top 40 station from a major market, but it also includes many gold singles in there as well.

By the way, I am very interested in KVUW-FM 102.3 in Wendover, NV. I wonder what it sounds like today, since the wiki info is outdated. They also don't have a live stream.

If anybody goes to Wendover, Nevada, tell me what it sounds like now, because some say it plays Classic Hits/Rock and others say it is silent, and I don't live or go to Nevada, since I live in the east coast.

KCNB-94.7 Chadron is actually // to KELN, minus one hour (mountain time). So if a song is played on KELN at 5:30, you'll hear it one hour later on KCNB with the time difference. KELN used to be your ordinary Soft Rock station, then it started tweaking to Hot AC (and finally Top 40/CHR). Believe KCNB had the same format years ago.

KOZI 1230/93.5 Chelan, WA isn't that bad either with music choice (they also air a lot of local programs including news at 5PM weekdays, high school sports, and an interview show each weekday morning called 2nd Cup of Coffee).
KVUW at last check was SAM FM, but since Westwood One shut it down last year, I wonder if they've flipped to a local format. No website presence or social media presence is odd to me, even in a place like Wendover. You'd think there would be an audience ala Highway Vibe (KRXV/KHWY/KHYZ) in CA/NV...tourists heading to Salt Lake City from Nevada, or heading to Reno/Boise etc. from SLC.

KYNR in Toppenish WA (middle of state). Is owned by the local Indian tribe which means it focuses on Native American affairs, both musically (from traditional chanting to rap) and news. And if that's not special enough, they also throw in a lot of variety style music. So one minute you'll hear Alice Cooper's "Muscle of Love" (classic rock doesn't even play that!) followed by centuries old Indian chanting.

KAHM, 102.1, Prescott, Arizona has been playing easy listening since 1981 but over
the years have added some standards and adult contemporary as well.

WGLM in Lakeview, MI. Music is a 60s to 90s classic hits/rock station with some stuff that wouldn't get played on many stations.

Absolutely agree on KYNR. Why didn't I mention that when I posted WIMI/KLAN? I've heard everything from '90s pop, to '50s doo-wop, to classic country, all mixed in with Native American chanting/powwows. I wish they had a livestream, I have two different airchecks of them from May and September 2015 to share one of these days.

KLAN Glasgow MT "Mix 93" - Hot AC/Soft Rock station, which plays a lot of unfamiliar newer acts, also has a good variety of 1970s-1990s cuts, including some rarities. I've heard everything from Rihanna, to rare Rick Springfield, to even Brothers Johnson ("I'll Be Good to You") from 1976! You can do whatever you want on a radio station in Glasgow, Montana...population 3,400.

Also helps that KLAN and its sister AM are the only stations in town (not including translators and fringe signals)

WCSM AM and FM in Celina/St/Mary's, OH. Beautiful Music on the AM, and AC with some CHR on the FM. Very well programmed.

KBRD/680 in Lacey, WA is about as unusual as it gets. "America's Music Museum" (or words to that effect). "K-Bird" is an eclectic mix of pop, country, blues, jazz, big band, and "Lord knows what else" mostly spanning the '20s through '60s. They stream. KCEA-FM in Atherton, CA was somewhat similar, but almost exclusively vintage big band music. They had been off for a while. Or at least not streaming. I'm unclear whether or not they're back.

There's a low-power station in Sun City West, Arizona on 103.1 (sorry, I forget the call sign) that plays all kinds of stuff--I've heard music from every decade from the 1940s to the 1980s. I listen to it when I happen to go visit my mother who lives in Sun City West.

Farther southeast, there's KCDX out of Florence, Arizona.

Looks like KYNR applied for license renewal in 2014 but it has yet to be granted. That same thing happened to a buddy's station, it just fell in the FCC cracks.

Last edited:
OK, here's a few I know of:

KXTZ/KXDZ, serving the San Luis Obispo, CA area, "The Beach". Grew up listening to them in the '00s. Was originally just classic rock, then slowly evolved, adding '80s new wave, then '90s grunge, then went almost totally alternative about a year ago, even with mid '00s music, still claiming to play "classics", ironically. Then they started billing themselves as a variety format, paying everything from Moody Blues to Smashing Pumpkins to Kings of Leon to Led Zeppelin. Kind of a weird station in my personal opinion, but I like them. Like your typical variety hits "Bob FM" but really local.

KKED/104.7, Fairbanks, AK "The Edge". Although owned by iHeartRadio, this one shows up in the Radio-Locator list as "Rock" but is a very unique alternative station...lots of current alt-rock, and some '90s grunge/alternative. Fun fact: Here in Fairbanks 104.7 originally, from the '60s to '98, belonged to KUAC (now at 89.9), Alaska's first-ever non-commercial station, and second-ever FM station.

KXLR/95.9, also in Fairbanks, is also similarly interesting: Definitely active rock but not as new much stuff as you'd think for that format, lots of older stuff mixed in. Totally local and unique.

WIOE, 101.1, licensed to South Whitley, IN, based out of Warsaw.
Former WOWO man Flyin' Brian Walsh throws in everything but the kitchen sink on this station, plays anything from the mid-50s to the 80s in pop. Fun station to listen to when you're ready to be surprised at what comes next.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom