Could liberal talk now be a viable option?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Could liberal talk now be a viable option?

  1. #1

    Could liberal talk now be a viable option?

    With half the country up in arms, could it be that liberal talk's time has come?

  2. #2
    Where would the money come from?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Where would the money come from?
    Good question. As Wall Street has shown this week, there's a lot of optimism about the business-friendly nature of the incoming president and Congress. Hard to see many advertisers (businesses) rushing in to back talk programming opposed to nearly everything about Trump and the GOP. Or large radio syndicators willing to take a chance on it and risk losing the advertisers who now support their right-wing hosts.

  4. #4
    This is not the time to start any new format in a dying industry. It's reached the point where it's almost impossible for stations to hold an audience, let alone attract and build one.

    Major advertisers already avoid right-wing talk. Even if radio were still an effective advertising medium, it's hard to see them embracing another source of controversy. And it's hard to see progressives responding to the kind of "bottom-feeder" ads which keep right-wing talk going.

    Might see some progressive talk podcasts starting up from the major podcast distributors.
    Last edited by Oscar Madison; 11-11-2016 at 03:49 PM.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Madison View Post
    This is not the time to start any new format in a dying industry. It's reached the point where it's almost impossible for stations to hold an audience, let alone attract and build one.

    Major advertisers already avoid right-wing talk. Even if radio were still an effective advertising medium, it's hard to see them embracing another source of controversy. And it's hard to see progressives responding to the kind of "bottom-feeder" ads which keep right-wing talk going.

    Might see some progressive talk podcasts starting up from the major podcast distributors.
    And how would the reach of a podcast in any given market compare to the cume of even a "dying" over-the-air talk radio station? Podcasts preach to the choir. OTA talk at least has the potential of changing minds.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    OTA talk at least has the potential of changing minds.
    Huh? It's preaching to the converted. Admittedly.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Huh? It's preaching to the converted. Admittedly.
    But at least a curious moderate or liberal could tune in, if only to hear what the "enemy" is saying. That's not going to happen with a podcast.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    And how would the reach of a podcast in any given market compare to the cume of even a "dying" over-the-air talk radio station? Podcasts preach to the choir. OTA talk at least has the potential of changing minds.
    Right-wing talk radio only preaches to the choir, too. All political content preaches to the choir. People tune in for agreement, not to have their minds changed. For confirmation, not information. This is essentially why the long-standing or "heritage" talk stations dumped all liberal hosts. Even people who were already listening to the station tuned out when the host didn't represent what they wanted to hear.

    And nobody has found a talk radio format that appeals to progressives. Air America Radio tried doing Rush-style talk but with progressive viewpoints. It didn't work. Public radio comes closest but it also appeals to educated, affluent traditional conservatives. And we are about 60 years too late for the "solidarity forever" approach that once worked for unions. And the "we shall over come" approach only works with members of "disadvantaged" victim/entitlement groups.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    1,167
    I agree. The reason that seemed to resonate with me on the difference between the right leaning and left learning sides was that it was easier to reach consensus among the right leaning than left leaning.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by b-turner View Post
    I agree. The reason that seemed to resonate with me on the difference between the right leaning and left learning sides was that it was easier to reach consensus among the right leaning than left leaning.
    Yep, "like herding cats" is the cliche often used to describe getting Democrats to march in lockstep on anything including the time of day, and it's true more often than not. That's why we were getting a decent amount of amusement out of the GOP's internal agonies this elections cycle. Until Tuesday night.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us