Future of conservative talk radio now that Trump is President-Elect
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Future of conservative talk radio now that Trump is President-Elect

Future of conservative talk radio now that Trump is President-Elect

What does the future look like for the conservative talk stations across the country now that Trump is President-Elect? Is this a good or bad thing for the stations and will the ratings go up or down?
    Julius May, Philadelphia PA.

The debate will get interesting as the Republican Congress battles with a so-called Republican President, who is used to having the power of the purse, and the ability to do whatever he wants. The Constitution doesn't allow for that. Trump is about to get a lesson in civics. I'm expecting a lot of heated battles over foreign policy, immigration, jobs, the tax code, the border wall and even such simple things as infrastructure. All of those decisions have to be made with Congress.
    Last edited by TheBigA; 11-09-2016 at 09:28 PM.

"and the ability to do whatever he wants."

There certainly has been no precedent of a prior president (current) doing what he wants....or making his own rules without Congress! The Democrats had better NOT take some of the "advice" given out today, by Michael Moore (interesting read), to get even and block and obstruct Trump and the Republicans on everything and at every turn. That will backfire. If they do that, then the Dems are toast in four years. Trump better reach across the aisle FIRST and let everyone on both sides know he is not going to continue the same tactics that do not advance the ball and serve only one party over one nation. I think he knows he has to accomplish some very big moves that include both sides within the first 30 days. That will set the tone and if the Democrats are reluctant to be team players, he will castrate them in the public media like never before. I also fully expect that you will see some interesting new radio/TV ownership rules. I would not want to be a virtual monopoly in this country in 2017. The lessons you speak of will not be just for Trump.
    Last edited by Tibbs4; 11-10-2016 at 02:09 AM.

This is a question that can be answered with a couple of other questions:

-Will the election results cure the aging demos problem: No.

-Will the election results cure the toxicity many of these shows have for advertisers: No.

LCG

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    The debate will get interesting as the Republican Congress battles with a so-called Republican President, who is used to having the power of the purse, and the ability to do whatever he wants. The Constitution doesn't allow for that. Trump is about to get a lesson in civics. I'm expecting a lot of heated battles over foreign policy, immigration, jobs, the tax code, the border wall and even such simple things as infrastructure. All of those decisions have to be made with Congress.
    And all of that makes for quite a long period of interesting talk. It does not even have to be partisan, just focused on the changing agenda of the President and all the things we know he wants to change/do/eliminate.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

The change in administrations might lead to more interest in politics in the short term which could lead to more people tuning in. In the intermediate and long term, I'm not sure it changes much though. The talk will go on, but the variety of media platforms and flat ad revenue will remain challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Jul View Post
    What does the future look like for the conservative talk stations across the country now that Trump is President-Elect? Is this a good or bad thing for the stations and will the ratings go up or down?
    Trump would have to cancel his alleged "Trump Network" because you can't have a president running a TV network at the same time running the Oval Office that creates a conflict of interest and it creates the illusion that the U.S. Government runs a propaganda network.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

It does not even have to be partisan, just focused on the changing agenda of the President and all the things we know he wants to change/do/eliminate.
    The one consistent thing we know is that we DON'T know what he's going to do.

I wonder if the radio ad (buyers) world will suddenly see the relevance of the demographics they have let go to TV and other avenues. There have been some interesting studies that show that reaching the "new" younger demos is about as tough (and as costly) as the "older" demos because of their buying habits being drastically different from those five to ten years older. What this election shows is that the decision power (and majority of the wealth) is still more active than they/we are given credit. Thoughts/debate on this welcome. I get the conventional wisdom. The truth, though, as I have said from my vantage point, done right (it is tough) - them old people will buy stuff. If radio cannot justify it's costs for the younger demo in the next five years, there is a serious age narrowcasting financial problem ahead. That one scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    The one consistent thing we know is that we DON'T know what he's going to do.
    No doubt. I have to think that he will remember the big corporations coverage. This could be interesting to watch and see if regulations change to put stations back in the hands of smaller companies/owners to get more diverse opinions/news coverage. If you had been castrated 24/7, even if it was justified and you could take the power away from the top ten broadcasting giants that tore you a new one every day, would you not try to do something? Especially in the name of "the silent majority" that was tired of all of the "lies, false reports and negative commentary?"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast