• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Anybody airing Christmas music yet?

Probably due to the death of George Michael.

Bah humbug. That is ridiculous.

And yet there are posters on the SiriusXM fan board who are praying that the first ho-ho-ho channel will launch on Nov. 1 or earlier. Some people really do look forward to hearing those 200 or so songs every year long before the snow flies.

So there really are people who want to hear this music before we have even had Halloween?

A little earlier every year.
That has not been my experience. I believe that we have hit the point of diminishing returns. For the last couple of years, Mix 92.9 here in Nashville has not started with the yuletide tuneage until Thanksgiving day. Previously, they started as early as (I think) November 18th. The Fish, the Christian station here in town, has started even earlier, I think, but only as a preview. Nowadays, I don't think they start any earlier than Thanksgiving, although they will probably still have that preview on the Saturday before Thanksgiving.

From the other board (edited). "Classic Hip-Hop “Yo! 105.1” KKRG Santa Fe/Albuquerque has gone All-Christmas as “Santa 105.1“."

FWIT, Ingstads classic hits 106.1 in Tri-Cities, WA went all Christmas today (11/1). Now "Santa 106.1". I am a firm believer that stations that go this early have little confidence in their regular format. But some just do it for a revenue/ratings hit. Either way, kind of a risky proposition to go this early. For me, personally, my preset for this station was deleted for now.

So a great DX beacon on 960 khz! Perhaps a flip is coming. WAKW Cincinnati also went Xmas yesterday. I wait until around Thanksgiving. My two favorite stations for Xmas music during the season, are WQPW/95.7 Valdosta, GA (95.7 the Mix) and KQZB/100.5 Troy, ID (Hits 100). Both play some very rare holiday tunes. For example, Michelle Williams/Destiny's Child's version of 'O Holy Night,' several covers of 'I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm,' loads of interesting remixes of the classics, etc. My local KARY also does quite well with their Holiday format. Big-market ACs and classic hits stations air about 75 holiday songs, over and over, so I avoid those.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom