• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Anybody airing Christmas music yet?

Also, WKOZ Carthage, MS (classic hits) is all-Christmas.

Is it mandated that all iHeart AC stations go all-Christmas and so early?

Only by the fact that the flip, particularly when only done by one station early, results in high ratings and higher ad dollars.

I heard WELJ Montauk, NY, already playing Christmas music about a week ago, with announcements every two or three songs about a "brand new radio station" on the way after Christmas. So I guess the ho-ho-ho format is a stunt and Nash Icon, its format before the flip to Christmas, is out, I don't see anyone talking about this in the New York forum, so I can't even speculate what the new format may be.

Which makes it the first station in the NewLondon market to flip. It's also the first station with any sort of signal in New England (in this case, actually in a NE market, along with the very broad Nassau-Suffolk market ranging from NYC rimshot, to generic LI stations, to stations serving the Hamptons, to stations like this and WJJF) to flip, and (I believe) the first in the northeast.

Which makes it the first station in the NewLondon market to flip. It's also the first station with any sort of signal in New England (in this case, actually in a NE market, along with the very broad Nassau-Suffolk market ranging from NYC rimshot, to generic LI stations, to stations serving the Hamptons, to stations like this and WJJF) to flip, and (I believe) the first in the northeast.

Do any Canadian stations go Christmas, or does the Canadian licensing system, under which the CRTC has to approve format, prohibit that? I was thinking maybe a New Brunswick or Quebec station might have flipped, with its signal finding its way into northern Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont.

KBPA Launched HD-3 first of this month of Christmas music.

Here in Nashville, the trend has actually been AWAY from early starts. One year, it was around Nov. 11th (Christian AC station, I think); another year, it was November 19th (although that may have actually been just a preview). Last year, it wasn't until Thanksgiving, which is what I expect again this year.

One area mall has now also reversed trend, and will be closed on Thanksgiving, although anchor stores could still open.

iHeart's WMAG Greensboro NC when I checked on Veteran's Day. I didn't verify that it was just a special weekend as some of the stations have done, but I also didn't hear anyone say that it was.

I was just reminded when I heard Karen Carpenter on KKOV. I heard Karen's angelic voice singing Christmas music in Concord Mills, a mall in Concord, NC. I don't know the source of their music, whether Muzak or some other company. However, most of it was either AC-sounding versions of traditional songs (Karen is not AC) or actual AC songs about Christmas that I didn't know. Santa arrived on Veterans' Day, so at the very least that was a good reason.

I could of course have turned on WMAG at home, but I was listening yesterday. It wasn't just a weekend preview.

KRWM 106.9 Seattle "Warm 106.9"
KPLZ 101.5 Seattle, Star 101.5 has also flipped. They have never flipped to entirely Christmas fare before. Suspecting a format flip?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom