• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Mid 1980s KEGL

Robert Bass

Star Participant
While going through some old reels, I have been listening to an uncut recording of KEGL from the mid 1980s. It's three hours worth on a 7" reel and after listening to side 1, there was not a single song by a female artist in the first 90 minutes. Surely there were female rockers back then that would have fit the format? Here's side 1 of the reel:

1. Hold Me Now - Thompson Twins
2. Winner Takes It All - Sammy Hagar
3. Your Love - Outfield
4. Don't Dream It's Over - Crowded House
5. Take Me Home - Phil Collins
6. I'll Be Alright Without You - Journey
7. Meet Me Halfway - Kenny Loggins
8. I Want A New Drug - Huey Lewis & The News
9. I Will Be There - Glass Tiger
10. (I Just) Died In Your Arms - Cutting Crew
11. This Is The Time - Billy Joel
12. If She Would Have Been Faithful - Chicago
13. Keep On Loving You - REO Speedwagon
14. Unknown
15. Naughty Naughty - John Parr
16. The Finer Things - Steve Winwood
17. Tonight She Comes - Cars
18. I Wanna Go Back - Eddie Money
19. Life In The Fast Lane - Eagles
20. I Know What I Like - Huey Lewis & The News
21. Midnight Blue - Lou Gramm
22. In The Heat Of The Night - Bryan Adams
23. Mandolin Rain - Bruce Hornsby & The Range
24. In The Way That You Use It - Eric Clapton

I'll post a list of side 2 when I get to it.

R

What jumped out at me was the lack of any urban/R&B crossover.

I remember someone saying a long time ago that KEGL left that stuff to KISS 106.

R

While going through some old reels, I have been listening to an uncut recording of KEGL from the mid 1980s. It's three hours worth on a 7" reel and after listening to side 1, there was not a single song by a female artist in the first 90 minutes. Surely there were female rockers back then that would have fit the format? Here's side 1 of the reel:

1. Hold Me Now - Thompson Twins
2. Winner Takes It All - Sammy Hagar
3. Your Love - Outfield
4. Don't Dream It's Over - Crowded House
5. Take Me Home - Phil Collins
6. I'll Be Alright Without You - Journey
7. Meet Me Halfway - Kenny Loggins
8. I Want A New Drug - Huey Lewis & The News
9. I Will Be There - Glass Tiger
10. (I Just) Died In Your Arms - Cutting Crew
11. This Is The Time - Billy Joel
12. If She Would Have Been Faithful - Chicago
13. Keep On Loving You - REO Speedwagon
14. Unknown
15. Naughty Naughty - John Parr
16. The Finer Things - Steve Winwood
17. Tonight She Comes - Cars
18. I Wanna Go Back - Eddie Money
19. Life In The Fast Lane - Eagles
20. I Know What I Like - Huey Lewis & The News
21. Midnight Blue - Lou Gramm
22. In The Heat Of The Night - Bryan Adams
23. Mandolin Rain - Bruce Hornsby & The Range
24. In The Way That You Use It - Eric Clapton

I'll post a list of side 2 when I get to it.

R

Looking at a random week's playlist from KEGL during this timeframe (in this case, the week of 4/3/1987), there were only 2 true female acts out of 36 records, Patty Smythe "Never Enough" at #25 and Bangles "Walking Down Your Street" at #27. That would have been light rotation and those records may have only played a couple of times a day at that point in time.

That same week, adult-leaning KTKS had Madonna "La Isla Bonita" at #4 (KEGL would at it two weeks later), Aretha Franklin "I Knew You Were Waiting" at #8 (again, added at KEGL two weeks later), and the Bangles at #9. And that was just KTKS' top ten.

On KHYI that week, Madonna was top ten, along with Expose "Come Go With Me" and Donna Allen "Serious" - neither of which were ever added at KEGL.

There were female rockers - just not a lot of them. The majority of female acts on the top 40 had a distinct pop/dance lean. Madonna was big enough that KEGL was forced to eventually play her records, albeit begrudgingly so. And the Aretha record was a big impact record, but never made it into KEGL's top ten.

Interesting information, thanks! I'll try to get side 2's playlist up later tonight.

R

I'm not sure if side 2 of this reel was recorded on the same day as side 1. Here's side 2:

25. (I Just) Died In Your Arms - Cutting Crew
26. The Finer Things - Steve Winwood
27. Dance - Ratt*
28. If She Would Have Been Faithful - Chicago**
29. Midnight Blue - Lou Gramm
30. New Years Day - U2
31. If She Would Have Been Faithful - Chicago***
32. Walking Down Your Street - Bangles
33. Mandolin Rain - Bruce Hornsby & The Range
34. Never Say Goodbye - Bon Jovi
35. Jacob's Ladder - Huey Lewis & The News
36. In The Air Tonight - Phil Collins###
37. I Will Be There - Glass Tiger
38. Kyrie - Mr. Mister
39. Can'tcha Say/Still In Love - Boston
40. Something About You - Level 42
41. I Wanna Go Back - Eddie Money
42. The Final Countdown - Europe
43. Open Arms - Journey
44. Unknown
45. Don't Dream It's Over - Crowded House
46. Live To Tell - Madonna
47. Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now - Starship

Battle of the Hits *
Battle of the Hits Challenger**
Battle of the Hits Champion***

### Not the original version with soft first half. Sounds similar to https://soundcloud.com/rezedits/in-the-air-tonight-rez-feel-it-rework

R

Out of that entire list all I consider listenable is:

Steve Winwood
U2
Bangles
Level 42
Madonna

I got bored with side 1 after the Cutting Crew song and I felt side 2 was slightly better except for the repeat play of that Chicago song. Yeah, yeah I know that's how Battle...Hits worked. I found another reel that had about 20 or so minutes of KEGL from that same time frame that I thought was much better and I'll post a list when I can.

R

36. In The Air Tonight - Phil Collins###

### Not the original version with soft first half. Sounds similar to https://soundcloud.com/rezedits/in-the-air-tonight-rez-feel-it-rework

R

This is probably the "Ben Liebrand Remix." It was used on "Miami Vice" during this time in 1987 and was played on many CHRs and Dance-Leaning CHRs at the time.

https://youtu.be/rHfOP0UB4es

Any chance that you can share the KEGL airchecks at some point? I've liked their use of JAM jingles during this time.

Robyn

That's OK, I prefer the version I am used to. :)

R

I heard Star 102 play the Ben Liebrand mix yesterday of it yesterday. It certainly fits better with the music. I had to crank it up a little but I didn't rip the knob off.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom