Can AM "Revitalization" get any sillier with 10 watt directional translator?

Thread: Can AM "Revitalization" get any sillier with 10 watt directional translator?

Can AM "Revitalization" get any sillier with 10 watt directional translator?

15-KSTP is applying for a 10 watt directional FM translator on 94.1 atop the IDS center. There's an LP on 94.1 in St. Paul so KSTP is proposing a highly directional system to stave off interference. But really now, 10 watts on FM will "revitalize" a 50,000 watt AM station? Seems like a reach to me. Would 10 watts even trip the FM scan of a car radio? I live near some 250 watt translators that don't pause my car radio scan when I am 5 miles from their tower.

I think I gave away my age with that 15-KSTP reference. :-)
    Last edited by jimbo; 10-31-2016 at 02:02 AM. Reason: fixed typo - you only see typos after posting

simple....to provide a FM signal that will penetrate buildings in downtown Mpls whereas the AM will have static or not penetrate well

Thanks. I didn't believe 10 watts would be able to accomplish that.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Would 10 watts even trip the FM scan of a car radio?
    It should in the nearby area.

Cheap station to run after the initial investment. If it can be heard in a area of town lots of people go to, and run scans in, who knows? Maybe the person likes what they hear and switches to AM on the way back to the suburbs. I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by brettbutlerisok View Post
    It should in the nearby area.

Cheap station to run after the initial investment. If it can be heard in a area of town lots of people go to, and run scans in, who knows? Maybe the person likes what they hear and switches to AM on the way back to the suburbs. I like it!
    Most listeners know when they press a certain preset on their radio, they hear whatever programming. It remains to be seen whether listeners will move from listening to an FM translator in their office building to the same programming in their car on the way home. Beyond just signal penetration issues, impulse noise from computer monitors, switching power supplies, light dimmers, elevator control systems, LED lights, transformers, etc., all increase the broadband noise floor in office buildings. Assuming your average listener could even hear a 10W FM, I suspect they won't make the connection between the translator and AM primary station.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly A View Post
    I suspect they won't make the connection between the translator and AM primary station.
    That's the job of the on-air talent.

Quote Originally Posted by brettbutlerisok View Post
    That's the job of the on-air talent.
    Really? So some syndicated talk show host is responsible for reminding listeners to tune some FM translator? Good luck with that.