• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

someones going away

after many years there is a signal that is soon to be missing here in the PNW along with a presumably a few jobs. best wishes to those soon to be affected

after many years there is a signal that is soon to be missing here in the PNW along with a presumably a few jobs. best wishes to those soon to be affected

Signal or format?

Here's my guess...KJR-FM becomes a simulcast of KJR 950. Why? There music has been sounding awful lately, like a train wreck. (And only a few people will be shown the door...virtually everyone is voice-tracked from another market.)

nope.
It will be public knowledge by tomorrow so wait on the speculation
and PS- KJR FM is doing very well in the ratings and in billings so NO- not even close

signal. as in sign off. if you can actually call it a signal...

Last edited:
nope.
It will be public knowledge by tomorrow so wait on the speculation
and PS- KJR FM is doing very well in the ratings and in billings so NO- not even close

signal. as in sign off. if you can actually call it a signal...

An LPFM? Or a signal challeged AM?

Last edited:
Since CAGuy said "many years" it would likely be a signal challenged AM, right? And he said PNW, not necessarily COL Seattle.

If it IS relatively local and it IS a weaker AM signal one would lean towards the Z-twins or KLAY. I hope not in either case...OR that weird 50KW daytimer in Ephrata. OR it is an out of stater/ Canadian AM that is altering or dropping the AM signal so that will be one we won't have in the PNW anymore. I know you said no specualtion, but I am SO bad about that. I absolutely don't want people losing thier jobs....

NWCN is correct. many of the sales and admin folks there come from radio so it seemed appropriate. Frank can move this if he wants.

NWCN is correct. many of the sales and admin folks there come from radio so it seemed appropriate. Frank can move this if he wants.

Any idea how many? Story said they're going to try to get them work within the TEGNA cluster here in the Northwest. I'd guess most if not all on-camera folks will remain with KING.

Any idea how many? Story said they're going to try to get them work within the TEGNA cluster here in the Northwest. I'd guess most if not all on-camera folks will remain with KING.

I think the only on-camera person left at NWCN who did not also have a corresponding role at KING is Cam Johnson.

Once upon a time, they had a robust roster of their own talent - it was once a good stepping stone to anchor role in a decent sized market. As viewership sank (not helped by the lack of an HD channel), it pretty much became KING talent who had to slide over to NWCN to tape a newscast in between their KING shows.

When NWCN was first being penciled, they were floating the idea of rotating stories just like one would do in Selector or MusicMaster. They were going to be self-contained pieces that would rotate without in-studio presence. I still think there is merit to this ... even running an ongoing "best of" NW with no ongoing talent to anchor would be a decent (and already sunk-cost) service.

On the other hand, maybe that is not a bad solution to do on the web instead.

When NWCN was first being penciled, they were floating the idea of rotating stories just like one would do in Selector or MusicMaster. They were going to be self-contained pieces that would rotate without in-studio presence. I still think there is merit to this ... even running an ongoing "best of" NW with no ongoing talent to anchor would be a decent (and already sunk-cost) service.

On the other hand, maybe that is not a bad solution to do on the web instead.

That's kind of what the channel is like today, except they're just rerunning entire hours instead of individual stories (including weather forecasts as long as there isn't any major change).

Oh, and I wanted to get in before Frank moves the thread to TV Land.

Well, I was dead wrong on this one. In retrospect, their demise sees inevitable, given the amount of bloodletting at TEGNA. But I admit, I so much took NWCN for granted that I kinda forgot they existed. WHich is part of the problem, right? And they never went HD.

Could CBUT move back to channel 2 on Comcast? They used to be there a LONG time ago...20-25 years ago maybe?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom