• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Montreal Radio Update

mimo

Star Participant
AM 940 now has call letters. They are CFNV. Today they started testing, but only during the daytime. I noted the signal was not as strong here in Ottawa as the former CINW and CBM were. Testing was a simple tone.

No testing was done today on 600. They are using the same site that CINF 690 used, which was also used by CINW. My assumption is that they still need to tune the transmitter from 690 to 600. That may take time.

More daytime only testing today, with a much stronger signal, comparable to what it used to be. People have said they've heard it as far away as Peterborough and Belleville, Ontario.

Question, i have access to a online radio receiver from the Vermont area near Burlington. Will i be able to pick up testing on 600 & 940 ? So far i haven't heard anything don't know if testing is still going on now.

There's been no testing on 600 yet, and testing on 940 is sporadic during the daytime. There was only an hour or two this entire week on Tuesday, and none last Friday. It's been assumed the antennas are being tuned.

when do both stations need to sign on by again ? how soon do you expect them to be ready by ? Can they wait until January 1, 2017 ?

600 needs to be operational by Monday. Unless a miracle happens, that won't happen. There was no testing on 600, and no calls have been issued. It is suspected that they'll try to apply for another "final" extension. They might get it too. CFNV 940 has until the 19 and could launch on time, but even then, they're pushing it. I suspect by midweek, I'll have some news. We don't know anything about studio locations or hired staff, or anything other than the transmitter for 940 works.

CORRECTION. AM 600 has until the 9th to commence operations, so the deadline has not passed yet.

It depends how fast it takes to be accepted plus depending on how long it takes to get operational on top of that.

As I mentioned the current permit for AM 600 expired on Wednesday, but the CRTC announced they have received a request for an extension. No word on a decision yet, but it should be noted a 3rd was granted for 940, and it is firmly believed they will get a 3rd for 600. Since an application has been filed..the previous construction permit gets a bit of an extension until the decision comes down.

Has the new 940 CFNV set a signon date yet ? does the CRTC still need to finalized there license ? I guess no work on testing for the new 600 yet.

Can we recap what formats will air on the two stations? For most of their history, 690 was French Radio-Canada/CBC, with a few years as French All-News. And 940 was English CBC, with a few years as English All-News. Now they will flip the languages. 990 CKGM moved to 690, making it English Sports. And 940 will become a French station.

Any significance to the CFNV call letters? And I always wondered why Canada's #2 market couldn't make All-News work, when there are All-News stations in Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary. I guess the format didn't work in Ottawa either, where you'd think it would succeed in the nation's capital.

Time has officially passed for both. We're still waiting on that extension request for 600. 940 (while still in testing phase) has somehow managed to get the "good to go" status and has for all intents and purposes "commenced operations". Although that's not exactly technically or legally true, the CRTC said "ok we've had enough, you've at least made an effort to get something on the air". Regular programming could begin as early as January, but could also be later than that.

A final extension was granted for AM 600, and instead of a whole year, it's valid until June 30th. I sense we should probably start seeing something happening in January. CFNV 940's French language talk station should be launching it's talk format next month. They've changed the music to Christmas music as of a few days ago, and the CRTC now has that station listed as "commenced operations" They're not in test mode any more.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom