• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KLUV Slowly adding 90's artists

charlesnutt111

New Participating Member
Anybody noticed that KLUV has slowly added Tom Cochrane's "Life Is A Highway" and U2's "Mysterious Ways"? I wonder if they will start adding 90's music to their playlist?

Not sure if you'll hear "Baby Got Back" outside of specialty weekend shows. Outside of Tone Loc and MC Hammer, older rap music tests poorly and burns quickly.

K-Luv adding 90's music shouldn't be all that surprising. It has to go after a demo it can sell, and the 90's was half-over 21 years ago. The 70's music will eventually be phased out just like the 60's has been.

But wouldn't that mean KLUV is starting to sound like JACK FM, which is owned by the same company? I've never understood sister stations that are in competition of each other.

I've never understood sister stations that are in competition of each other.

In Dallas, KSCS competes with KPLX, both owned by the same company. In Austin, KVET competes with KASE. Somehow, they exist.

It's not always strictly about the music, but the presentation. That's what makes a radio station.

In Dallas, KSCS competes with KPLX, both owned by the same company. In Austin, KVET competes with KASE. Somehow, they exist.

It's not always strictly about the music, but the presentation. That's what makes a radio station.

You're right. Forgot about KSCS/KPLX. I don't listen to enough country!

But wouldn't that mean KLUV is starting to sound like JACK FM, which is owned by the same company? I've never understood sister stations that are in competition of each other.

Sadly we live in a market where sister stations are almost the same damn station.

CBS has the 80's/90's oldies
Cumulus has all the main country stations
iHeart has all the rock stations

I can only think of CHR (both adult and mainstream), urban, and sports are the only ones that we see competition within this market.

Sorry to have to say this AGAIN, but radio (based on what I just read above and TRYING to listen to ANY station in this market) is not the radio I grew up with and worked in. It is hard for me to listen to any terrestrial radio. In this market, very few really good "on air" personalities anymore. Basically, all "radio music" is available anywhere. Most all corporate radio is just terrible. So, what is so special about radio anymore? Breaking news? Sports? Maybe.....but almost everybody has and does that. It's just a beating to go there..... Yawn.

Last edited:
The 80's are getting close to 30 years ago.

Once you pass 50 you turn into a pumpkin, and advertisers no longer
have any interest in you.

You're exactly right...it's not what you grew up or worked in. Nothing is. Here's a question: Would you put up with current music in order to hear the personalities?

I disagree. There are many things I do in my work that is like it was 20 or 30 years ago. The point is what I worked in and grew up in is MY definition of terrestrial radio. It is about me and people I know who loved and miss that kind of radio. I disagree with anyone who thinks today's radio is like radio of the 70's and 80's. And I don't even understand how radio of the 90's and 2000's could or would be "great (oldies) radio"! There is nothing there! (Note: This not about the music, it's about RADIO, and the question back to you is.....What personalities?)

Why is it every time one of these threads pops up, when I go to the station playlist in question, I don't see (in this case) much, if any, 90's.

I scanned the Sunday playlist and saw:
Duran Duran - Ordinary World

If anything, they're playing more 80's than before. I didn't see much 90's.

I never said it was. In fact I very clearly said that it's not.

You obviously don't listen.

I simply made the statement that today's radio isn't like the 70's and 80's. Not saying you did. I listen to the "personalities"! I recently went to a Saturday afternoon luncheon and was listening to KLUV. When I got to the luncheon, the air personality that was on KLUV during my trip was at the luncheon! He was voice tracking his Saturday afternoon show on KLUV that we both listened to on our way to the luncheon. I just have trouble with that.

Recording a morning drive or even a week-end afternoon show in this market with talented radio personalities, professional news talent, in some cases, weather and traffic talent that is required in this day and age is ridiculous and impossible! This is a joke - right? Sorry, Bing Crosby isn't my idea of how radio was in the 70's and 80's and definitely not today.

Bing Crosby did the same thing in the 1930s. It's why he invested in a company called Ampex. Lots of history with people recording their radio shows. It doesn't affect their talent.
What? Ah - I guess I missed a paragraph or "post" or something!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom