Pacifica disintegrating? - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Pacifica disintegrating?

http://www.radiosurvivor.com/2016/11...acifica-radio/ has an article about Pacifica. Trump is a glimmer of hope. But basically unless a sugar daddy drops dead and leaves them millions, I don't see how they can survive. They just defaulted on their 2015 pension plan payments, haven't gotten their 2014 or 15 audits done yet therefore have lost their CPB match. And KPFK in Los Angeles just lost a labor arbitration for $250K.

Quote Originally Posted by radiotwit View Post
    KPFK in Los Angeles just lost a labor arbitration for $250K.
    The staff is sucking them dry. Not what the founders intended.

Sure, Trump should be a motivation for them to band together to fight the new enemy. But they have already met the enemy, and it is themselves.

WBAI, NY and WPFW, Washington DC are losing money like crazy. LA is starting to now. Berkeley doesn't have the chops to support 4 stations. Pacifica has 4-5 million in debt (not including Democracy Now I think) so I think the fat lady is in dress rehearsals.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    The staff is sucking them dry. Not what the founders intended.

Sure, Trump should be a motivation for them to band together to fight the new enemy. But they have already met the enemy, and it is themselves.
    As they are now, Pacifica going after Trump would be like some kid going after Rambo with a water pistol...

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by radiotwit View Post
    WBAI, NY and WPFW, Washington DC are losing money like crazy. LA is starting to now. Berkeley doesn't have the chops to support 4 stations. Pacifica has 4-5 million in debt (not including Democracy Now I think) so I think the fat lady is in dress rehearsals.
    I believe that LA donations have been less than the costs for a number of years now... going back to the internal strife and bitterness coming from the re-structuring of programming a few years back that resulted in many shows being cancelled, others being shortened or rearranged and some new things added. This was accompanied by a further decrease in listening.

Their block programming model is more relevant today for podcasting than for a radio station.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

http://www.pacifica.org/index.php

Apparently William Crosier has been appointed as Executive director for Pacifica. Umm?? But It means nothing though until we have evidence that Pacifica goes bankrupt.

new_director_2017.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RadioPatrol View Post

Apparently William Crosier has been appointed as Executive director for Pacifica. Umm?? But It means nothing though until we have evidence that Pacifica goes bankrupt.
    The press release completely ignores the group's financial woes, and instead brings up the election, as though it has anything to do with anything. Crosier knows the real truth.

https://fsrn.org/2017/04/fsrn-signs-...io-journalism/

Well here's another show that at one point was on Pacifica owned stations but the show is now ending their Operations. Free Speech Radio News started out as a show on Pacifica owned stations but switched to podcast only but that didn't go well.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678