Pacifica disintegrating?
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacifica disintegrating?

Moderator/Assistant Administrator

Pacifica disintegrating?

There is a significant batch of Pacifica Radio archival tapes now on sale at eBay. Does this indicate that Pacifica has abdicated its custodial function over past broadcasts? Or did they just fail to pay a storage unit rental and someone picked these tapes at an auction?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-INTERNA...QAAOSwCGVYAUP1
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

There was a story recently about similar archival material on YouTube. It's anarchy in practice. No one is in charge. These tapes are the only asset they have.

Yet somehow they keep finding a way to stay on the air. What a waste of perfectly good spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by umfan View Post
    Yet somehow they keep finding a way to stay on the air. What a waste of perfectly good spectrum.
    Really? Just ask George Carlin.

Maybe your own political bias is showing. Pacifica offers a range of viewpoints not otherwise available from corporate commercial media, which is exclusively right-wing and hate-speech talk. Just because you don't like it or agree with it, doesn't mean it's a "waste" of spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Madison View Post
    Maybe your own political bias is showing. Pacifica offers a range of viewpoints not otherwise available from corporate commercial media, which is exclusively right-wing and hate-speech talk. Just because you don't like it or agree with it, doesn't mean it's a "waste" of spectrum.
    When the most powerful FM in LA (110,000 watts), which covers several additional adjacent markets, only manages to get a three book rolling average AQH audience of 1,700 people in a coverage area of 17,000,000 persons, you have to consider that there must be a lot of better ways to fill the time on that facility.

This analysis is not about politics. It's about doing programming that next to nobody listens to.
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

http://current.org/2016/08/options-f...y-partnership/. Wait I thought university partnership was in talks though for Pacifica? One of them included a partnership with California State University, Los Angeles.

100kw for a Pacifica Station? That's amazing though. But I see Davids point though. What districts of LA do you need to target to put an lpfm transmitter for KPFK? Well like San Francisco KPFA has a 59kw signal but its audience is limited to Oakland, Berkeley and Parts of San Francisco. I know KPFB was the translator for parts of Berkeley Though. But then again how will Pacifica adopt to the app age or the podcast age if they plan to get younger demos to listen in though.

By David;s stats, that means 1 in 10,000 listening per quarter hour. Let's just guess Time Spent Listening at 2.5 hours a week, that only equates to 85,680 total listeners per week. Comparing that to 17,000,000, that's a miserable reach. Running the numbers of percentage of listeners that donate being around 10% and an average donation of under $150, that works out to under 1.3 million a year, far too little to cover the operating costs of such a station.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

When the most powerful FM in LA (110,000 watts), which covers several additional adjacent markets, only manages to get a three book rolling average AQH audience of 1,700 people in a coverage area of 17,000,000 persons, you have to consider that there must be a lot of better ways to fill the time on that facility.

Yes, but it's their facility. So they get to determine how to fill that time.

If Pacifica wanted a wider audience wouldn't they have find a TV partner to promote their radio programming? I have a few examples I can provide though its Free speech TV would be my first pick then TV stations that air the TV edition of Democracy Now! with Amy Goodman.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioPatrol View Post
    100kw for a Pacifica Station? That's amazing though. But I see Davids point though. What districts of LA do you need to target to put an lpfm transmitter for KPFK?
    There is no part of LA except, perhaps the small shadow area along PCH through Malibu that does not have a huge KPFK signal. It is 110,000 watts on top of Mt Wison, where two of the top 5 stations, KIIS and KOST have less than 15,000 watts.

With the huge geographic area of LA, LPFM stations would really not help. The issue is not signal, it is programming. They are using a block programming model with so many shows that it is impossible for the average listener to know what to expect on the air.

And in most night hours, they have some of the most bizarre Spanish language programming I have ever heard, anywhere. So listeners don't even know what language to expect.

I would say that there is likely an under-measurement of KPFK listening as, following the logic of other posters in the past, the activist listeners they have may be less likely to carry a PPM device.
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; 10-26-2016 at 03:41 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast