• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Recommendations for FM Audio Processors

Capital Expense time. Looking for opinions on Optimod 8700, Omnia 11, and Wheatstone's AirAura X3. This relates to my previous post about the 8500. My gut tells me that it's doing the best job it can, for its time period. But, because of the over-modulation on the high frequency peaks, I think we should replace it. I'm not a fan of over-modulating in any way, and if it is in my control, I try not to do it. Our market? Very competitive. I typically run loud, but not larger than life, or over-hyped. I try to stay very close to the source (without over EQ-ing), when possible, but still maintain the loudness. I've always liked the clean open sound of Orban. Maybe the 8700 will be my choice/recommendation. I'm currently running the Loud-Punchy setting on our 8500, and I think it fits the format. It's Less-More setting usually sits at 8, although I just tried 9, and felt it was louder, but I went back to 8 anyways. Thanks.

The Omnia 11 is a pretty amazing processor if you want to be the loudest on the dial. I have one that has the latest software update (not G-Force). It is a really good processor, but seems to be over-kill for my stations. I paid over $11,000.00 for it. I still have the original box and manual. I'm open to offers. PM me if interested.

In my experience, the Omnia Nine will do pretty much anything the Eleven will do (Foti may take exception). That being said, If I was gonna buy a new top of the line box (and I have in the past) I'd call my friendly equipment supplier and schedule all three in my plant for evaluation for a few days. I always made it plain I was going to purchase the winner from them, and always did. Never had a problem getting the demos. The three you're looking at are all state of the art and will do an excellent job, and all three builders have excellent support. Try them all, and buy the one that does the best job in your plant on your format using your program generation equipment. Among them, how you turn the knobs will make a hell of a lot more difference than who built the knobs. You pays your money and you takes your pick.

What's your format, Brian. You trying to be open and clean, or balls to the walls?

(edit) Had to laugh at that one... Any decent processor out there that can be balls to the walls without tearing your ears out can be "open and clean".

Feeling my age...

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom