• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The 2016 "All Christmas" format Pool

Who's going to make a prediction?

I'm suggesting WYAY as soon as the election story dies off.

That was my thinking as well. Last year 98.9 stunted all Christmas and the result was nearly a 1.0 share for a translator, which is remarkable. Since B98.5 suppressed Christmas music to a minimum in 2012, maybe there is an undercurrent of demand now. Without an appropriate formatted station in this market to carry the seasonal tunes, stunting will likely be as good as it gets for now.

The "Warm 98.9" Christmas stunt was also a feint towards a soft AC flip, which is probably the second biggest format hole in ATL behind adult/variety hits.

I doubt B98.5 will do all-Christmas ever again (except on Christmas Day), considering they did so much better last year having not done that.

The Fish will do all-Christmas, but with their usual too-tight playlist.

Would Cumulus dust off one of their translators (98.9 again?) for all-Christmas?

That was my thinking as well. Last year 98.9 stunted all Christmas and the result was nearly a 1.0 share for a translator, which is remarkable. Since B98.5 suppressed Christmas music to a minimum in 2012, maybe there is an undercurrent of demand now. Without an appropriate formatted station in this market to carry the seasonal tunes, stunting will likely be as good as it gets for now.

B98.5 has been getting away with mixing in Christmas music but otherwise keeping their AC format intact because no one except The Fish does all Christmas music. And a lot of people prefer a more pop-oriented mix than that offered by The Fish. If B98.5 had pop Christmas competition, it might force them to go 100% Christmas.

I remember when 94.9 used to go all-Christmas, and Clear Channel could not wait to get it started. I remember one year on a Saturday in October, the temperature was in the 80's, and 94.9 was doing a Christmas music preview. Too early for me.

I remember when 94.9 used to go all-Christmas, and Clear Channel could not wait to get it started. I remember one year on a Saturday in October, the temperature was in the 80's, and 94.9 was doing a Christmas music preview. Too early for me.

Cox and Jacor/CC used to try to be the first without going too early. Then CC flipped to The Bull about a week before Christmas.

We're fast approaching the HallowGivingMasYearHashana holiday, which produces erections in sales departments throughout the media. When there's one all - Christmas station, they'll get some buys. When everyone jumps on, it becomes the same ol same ol. I think the idea is old hat any more.

Now many years ago, probably in the early 2000's, Peach/Lite was one of the first if not the first in the country to program continuous Christmas music. I believe it was Steve Goss' decision. Their ratings increased dramatically, and after a year or 2, word got around and AC's everywhere did it. It took B98.5 several years to follow suit. And when it went on the air the day after Thanksgiving, their salespeople were as surprised as everyone else.

B98.5 has been getting away with mixing in Christmas music but otherwise keeping their AC format intact because no one except The Fish does all Christmas music. And a lot of people prefer a more pop-oriented mix than that offered by The Fish. If B98.5 had pop Christmas competition, it might force them to go 100% Christmas.
What is a pop-oriented mix?

I thought most people wanted traditional, meaning Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, Perry Como and Johnny Mathis.

What is a pop-oriented mix?

I thought most people wanted traditional, meaning Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, Perry Como and Johnny Mathis.

The Fish leans towards more religious Christmas music, particularly by Christian Contemporary artists. And no novelty songs.

When B and Peach did all-Christmas, they leaned towards standards performed by contemporary CHR/AC talent, but standards by older artists were also in the playlist.

The Fish leans towards more religious Christmas music, particularly by Christian Contemporary artists. And no novelty songs.

When B and Peach did all-Christmas, they leaned towards standards performed by contemporary CHR/AC talent, but standards by older artists were also in the playlist.
So you're saying people want what I want.

I would not want to hear AC artists doing standards unless they do them in the traditional style. Aaron Shust did "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" in the contemporary style on America's Best Music and it sounded awful. It wasn't nearly as bad as what CCM typically does, but that vocal style for me is unlistenable, and the instrumentals have to be much better at Christmas. Point of Grace also was on America's Best Music, and their song wasn't a familiar one. They have nice voices but the musical style just wasn't what I care for.

K-104.7 in Charlotte and WMAG Greensboro in NC have been doing it almost right for me.

Although B has not aired all-Christmas since 2011, I have to wonder, given their stagnant ratings lately, if they might give 100% seasonal tunes another go. in the very least I would not be surprised to see them ramp up the percentage of Christmas tunes in an effort to boost their PPMs. I have never seen ratings hover this low under the Eagan PD era.

Although B has not aired all-Christmas since 2011, I have to wonder, given their stagnant ratings lately, if they might give 100% seasonal tunes another go. in the very least I would not be surprised to see them ramp up the percentage of Christmas tunes in an effort to boost their PPMs. I have never seen ratings hover this low under the Eagan PD era.

That's a good thought. When B went partially Christmas for the first time, Eagan explained they did it because though Christmas ratings had been through the roof, some people left in December and did not come back in January. Those fundamentals are still in place.

As you say, B's ratings are the lowest they've been in the Eagan era. The numbers of the AC, Hot AC and CHR stations have been bunched together. The exception is The Fish, which does not take the same risk because of its format exclusivity.

Chris Eagan and his Cox cohorts have/had a decision to make.

Let's make B98.5 great again. Star 94-1 and Q100 should be in jail!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom