• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Joe FM on 87.9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

someperson

Regular Participant
Haven't been paying attention in a while, but has Joe Donaldson gotten into pirate radio now? I was picking up "Joe FM" on 87.9 earlier. Seemed to be a pretty strong signal, too. While I appreciate the classic hits programming, I'm pretty sure there's no station licensed for this frequency. So... what the heck?!

Hope I'm not stirring anything up by posting this by the way.

Haven't been paying attention in a while, but has Joe Donaldson gotten into pirate radio now? I was picking up "Joe FM" on 87.9 earlier. Seemed to be a pretty strong signal, too. While I appreciate the classic hits programming, I'm pretty sure there's no station licensed for this frequency. So... what the heck?!

Hope I'm not stirring anything up by posting this by the way.

I tuned-in to 87.9 and heard...nothing. I did hear the pirate station on 87.7 with a fringe signal, but nothing on 87.9.

You might be hearing Joe FM on a licensed station, since I understand he's now syndicating his programming. Listen for the Legal ID at (or near) the top of the hour.

I understand he's now syndicating his programming.

You are kidding, right?

Formats that get syndicated either have a record of significant ratings success or are programmed by a recognized and successful programmer.

"He" has neither of these credentials.

Robertsez im not sure what you are smoking but you have the most off the wall answers. You seem to be as lost in this world as mr trump.

You are kidding, right?

No, I'm not. He evidently has found his niche.

As for qualifications of a syndicator being a record of success, have you listened to the broadcast service lately? Radio is a vast wasteland with alleged "professional broadcasters" churning out crap. Therefore, if Joe is also churning out crap, then he'll fit right in with the best and brightest of them. However, if what he is offering is something better, then I think he will break free of the status quo and make American broadcasting great again.

I see this as a win-win.

As for qualifications of a syndicator being a record of success, have you listened to the broadcast service lately? Radio is a vast wasteland with alleged "professional broadcasters" churning out crap. Therefore, if Joe is also churning out crap, then he'll fit right in with the best and brightest of them.

That's a pretty insulting statement, don't you think? The fact is broadcasters don't make the music. They play the music of others. If you think it's crap, then your argument is with the musicians, not the broadcasters. It's like blaming weather forecasters for hurricanes and tornadoes.

As for claiming someone is a syndicator, it's typically not the kind of thing one does alone. The playing of oldies music isn't something unique. It's just a bunch of songs that are readily available from any source. He really doesn't add anything to the mix could make it applicable to any other market. It's something anyone else could do for free.

What broadcast radio has lost for many, Mr. A, are the live and local personalities.

What broadcast radio has lost for many, Mr. A, are the live and local personalities.

Do you actually listen to local radio in Houston? Lots of live & local personalities on Houston radio every day.

In fact there's a live & local morning show that's up for the CMA Major Market Personality of the Year:

The Q Morning Zoo

Tim Tuttle, Kevin Kline, and Erica Rico

KKBQ, Houston-Galveston, Texas

Last edited:
So, here we go, people not in radio spewing negative language about what they don't understand.

Please understand we are Employees. If you do not like the direction radio has taken, although the work we do shows we are headed in the right direction and the continuation of the regular paycheck continues as proof, then talk to the owners. You think we direct everything. We don't. Talk to the owners. I have as much control over my station as the cashier at Walmart has over what they do at their corporate office, but I'm the bad guy. I'm the one that destroyed whatever you think radio is supposed to be.

The fact is syndication requires: a proven successful track record and usually several successes to get a client. Oh, sure, if you come along and say I'll program it free until you get your ducks in a row, you might get a yes but that is not syndicating. If you had a multi-million dollar investment would you buy a format unproven in ratings and revenue to generate the funds to pay back your investment? Anybody in their right mind would not.

Yes, Houston has live and local jocks and many shifts are voice tracked from elsewhere by people just as talented as the folks locally. That has been the writing on the wall for a couple of decades at least. We talked about it coming 25 years ago. People still listen and haven't a clue. Can you name the jocks that are live and which ones are voice tracked? Care to try your luck?

Last, if you're so upset with radio put your money where your mouth is and buy a station and run it the way you insist radio needs to be done. I doubt you will. In my experience, those that offer criticism often don't see the door opening for an opportunity that would scare the pants off both of us and likely wouldn't muster the courage to venture through the door, the opportunity to bring out the ability to change the norm or understand why the norm is the norm.

This thread is about Joe and if he is syndicating his programming. He might have a station where they're looking for their programmer, still setting things up or testing and perhaps between clients that would let Joe on. It's one less thing to worry about until the next stage of events happens. Would a station pay him to run his format? Maybe in small town radio perhaps overnight. In fact if they paid at all it might be less than it costs Joe to deliver the format to them. Unless its high school sports, most small town stations don't make a dime at night. In fact, at some stations I worked, we'd bonus spots after 6 pm to lower the overall spot rate since clients tend to fixate on price per commercial (ie: 3 commercials for the price of 2). In fact, I know one station in a sizable market that sold overnights at $15 an hour if they'd man the station. During the day the spot rate was $45 and they had about 8-10 units sold an hour 6 am to 7 pm on weekdays. $15 an hour beat $0 and they had payroll covered...a great deal!

Last edited:
During the day the spot rate was $45 and they had about 8-10 units sold an hour 6 am to 7 pm on weekdays. $15 an hour beat $0 and they had payroll covered...a great deal!

Unless what we're talking about is supposed to be non-commercial or educational radio, owned by a church or ministry.

That's true. And if it is a non-comm running Joe, as the thread seems to indicate, if I was in the management chair I'd want him to be well versed on the difference between an NCE and Commercial station as well as how the FCC defines those differences. I've always found being far enough away from their line in the sand helps to keep you from defending yourself. Some who haven't been in management have no idea the waste of time and dollars that goes in to proving you were within the rules if questioned. The FCC has their own legal team but you have to hire yours and assemble your case, something the FCC has all day, every day to do. You don't...you have a station to run. As one owner told me: If the FCC threatens, "you either pay them or pay your attorney". His point, is you lose no matter what.

I'd want him to be well versed on the difference between an NCE and Commercial station as well as how the FCC defines those differences.

My issue here has to do with churches and ministries running radio stations playing rock & roll music. The FCC licenses them for specific purposes, and the government gives them a tax break for specific purposes. To me, it's like running a brothel in the basement of a church. Sure it's popular, and sure it gets people in your house of worship, but what is the attraction? The word of God or the sex?

That's a pretty insulting statement, don't you think? The fact is broadcasters don't make the music. They play the music of others. If you think it's crap, then your argument is with the musicians, not the broadcasters.

Yes, it is a pretty insulting statement. Because it's true, and those who are being insulted are the listeners.

Yes, broadcasters play music that is produced by others, but they have the ability to pick and choose what songs to play, and what not to play. Muzak calls this music architecture. That's why all Oldies stations don't sound exactly alike. Or Country and Western stations. Or Hispanic stations.

You're welcome. Glad to help educate you on how the radio business works. Because it IS a business.

The playing of oldies music isn't something unique. It's just a bunch of songs that are readily available from any source. [...] It's something anyone else could do for free.

Then you really don't understand anything about programming a radio station.

Yes, it is a pretty insulting statement. Because it's true, and those who are being insulted are the listeners.

Unless it's what the majority of listeners want. That's obviously the case, since radio stations in Houston attract millions of people.

You're right, it's a business, and if people are attracted by crappy music, then it's THEIR problem, not broadcasters. Broadcasters aren't musicologists, educators, or critics. They play what people want.

Then you really don't understand anything about programming a radio station.

Or perhaps you don't understand anything about syndicating.

My issue here has to do with churches and ministries running radio stations playing rock & roll music.

Are we still talking about KSBJ/K-DANCE/Build a Monument to Allah?

Actually, I agree with you in spirit. I don't think KSBJ should be programming secular or non-faith-promoting music, but they are breaking no laws by doing so. I also think they paid far too much for 91.3, but that is between the management and their donors. I'm not one, and have no intention of being one, so it matters not to me what business or programming decisions they make.

KSBJ and KACC are licensed under the same authority, but program under different formats. The Federal Communications Commission doesn't regulate the format a radio station plays, only whether it is compliant with the applicable technical and ownership rules.

The Federal Communications Commission doesn't regulate the format a radio station plays, only whether it is compliant with the applicable technical and ownership rules.

But the IRS grants them a tax exempt status. And if that tax exempt status is for selling sex under the banner of operating a church or ministry, it's fraud.

Or perhaps you don't understand anything about syndicating.

It really doesn't matter if I know or don't know anything about syndicating or not. It only matters if Joe does. He's the one syndicating Joe FM.

But the IRS grants them a tax exempt status. And if that tax exempt status is for selling sex under the banner of operating a church or ministry, it's fraud.

In that case, your complaint is with the IRS or the management of KSBJ. As I said, I don't care what they do. I'm not a donor. I have no intention of being a donor.

It only matters if Joe does. He's the one syndicating Joe FM.

Why are you replying to my comment then? Why are you attacking innocent broadcasters who are simply running a business?

I don't care what they do. I'm not a donor. I have no intention of being a donor.

I didn't address my comment to you. My comment was addressed to Joe who claims to be programming oldies radio stations on non-commercial frequencies masquerading as a ministry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom