• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

I'm gonna make a prediction

I don't expect it will make any difference. As the CEO said in the previous call, this will not be a short term fix.

And as I said earlier, the success or failure of a single station or a single market, even if it's Atlanta, won't make a difference.

One would think you would start a turnaround where it would increase your revenue the most: the big markets. Cumulus has to be able to work on more than a couple of stations at a time. Just by revenue they should have "fixed" their top ten or twenty markets by now.

Just by revenue they should have "fixed" their top ten or twenty markets by now.

Contrary to the talk here, Atlanta is not one of the problem markets for them. They have far BIGGER problems in far larger markets. Like NYC, for example. They've gone through a series of market managers there. They've also got big problems in LA.

I actually think Cumulus is going to double down on talk, ditching most of the news, on WYAY. They seem to think the shake up after the election will make it a viable option. Mark Levin on in the evening and they'll bring over others. I doubt Clear Channel would give them Rush though.

I don't expect it will make any difference. As the CEO said in the previous call, this will not be a short term fix.

And as I said earlier, the success or failure of a single station or a single market, even if it's Atlanta, won't make a difference.

If the numbers do not mesh with the street's expectations then there may be a rush for the door. Since the reverse split the stock has dropped from $2.40 to, as of 13:44, $1.50, down almost 6% today. It hit an all time low this morning of a pre-split price of $0.17/share.
That seems to indicate the street isn't very warm and fuzzy with Cumulus' future prospects. If numbers are much better, or worse then you would expect big price moves. Has a really bad call already been factored in? Is that the reason the price has dropped 40% in the last couple of weeks (since the reverse split?)

I actually think Cumulus is going to double down on talk, ditching most of the news, on WYAY. They seem to think the shake up after the election will make it a viable option. Mark Levin on in the evening and they'll bring over others. I doubt Clear Channel would give them Rush though.

Do you think syndicated talk will work? I would agree that we are heading for a volatile political era no matter who wins but is it possible many/most people are becoming extremely burnt out on politics? I have already removed WSB AM from my radio presets because of the constant shilling for clinton and avoid ANY programming involving her or the donald. I'm sick of it...I run into many others who say the same.
Having said that....WSB just had a double digit 6+trend. Even the little weasel in late afternoons was up. Maybe political talk with the ever angry mark levine will work. The numbers can't get much worse...

If numbers are much better, or worse then you would expect big price moves. Has a really bad call already been factored in? Is that the reason the price has dropped 40% in the last couple of weeks (since the reverse split?)

The market needs to see a plan. They really haven't shown one yet. The biggest problem is on the expense side. They haven't addressed that at all. Since the Dickeys left, all they've done is hire more staff. Unless that is combined with more revenue, it doesn't help. So far, it hasn't helped. If they announce cost cuts, the stock will continue to drop. If they don't, the stock will continue to drop. That's why I say it won't make any difference.

I think for a station nearly at rock bottom, syndicated talk radio still works for them. They would not have to have a major local investment in talent. Plus given their current ratings, etc. I bet they can get a syndicated show cheaper than a station like WSB could. As for WSB, it will be interesting to see what they do with their afternoon guy. He's clearly pissing off their core audience. I'll be surprised if he is still in that slot come January.

I think for a station nearly at rock bottom, syndicated talk radio still works for them. They would not have to have a major local investment in talent. Plus given their current ratings, etc. I bet they can get a syndicated show cheaper than a station like WSB could. As for WSB, it will be interesting to see what they do with their afternoon guy. He's clearly pissing off their core audience. I'll be surprised if he is still in that slot come January.

Did you see junior's numbers last trend? My guess is he is doing what he is told to do...destroy the donald. It doesn't seem to be hurting him any either.
Of course, WSB AM could run a 1 khz tone and still get numbers. Diary placement obviously has begun to favor white males more and reflects less ethnic and female listening...therefore WSB and it's "psuedo-conservative" format gets numbers. The sheeple are too passive to even change radio stations...

CC/iHeart has given up on top-tier talk in Atlanta on WGST. Premiere will let any of their talkers go to the highest bidder between Cox and Cumulus. They've already proven this with Rush and Sean. iHeart will use WGST to clear Premiere's leftovers in Atlanta.

Of course, it doesn't help that WGST doesn't have a decent signal after sunset. FCC sunset in ATL is at 5:30 EST November and December and 5:45 EST in January, right in the middle of PM drive.

Actually, getting a piece of the WSB talk pie would make sense for WYAY if they don't want to dump the news-talk format entirely. Cumulus won't outbid Cox for anyone, but that still leaves plenty of other talkers. I wonder if WYAY could get Glenn Beck and Michael Berry from WGST. Michael Berry is tough to listen to on WGST in the winter. The only exception is that Cox won't let any of their in-house talkers go (Clark Howard, Herman Cain-although Herman Cain is syndicated by Westwood One/Cumulus).

The real question is who gets overnights--Premiere's Coast to Coast or Westwood One's Red Eye Radio???

Last edited:
Could Cumulus lease 1550 and put a translator on it? The translator should be an HD2 of one of their FM’s for more coverage. They could then move their talk to it and free up 106.7 to do 1980’s plus pop. All they would need to get started would be a PC and a music play list from one of their successful pop hits station (I guess they have one somewhere). If they don’t have one, then get an intern or clerical person to copy WCBS FM’s playlist off the internet. Then put each song’s title on a piece of paper and put it in a capsule. Mix two hours of songs in a drum then start drawing.* 97.1 did not have an air staff when they started.

If they really want to get cheap: use one of the satellite services they own.

*just kidding about the drum drawing. However the assistant PD and Music director at a station in Louisville I worked, recorded a Cincinnati station at his home, and his wife would type out the songs, and he brought the list in the office on Saturdays two hours later there was next week’s music logs.

Cumulus would be smart to utilize their in house resources in Chattanooga at the FM side of WGOW. They do FM talk right. Production, personality. It's one of the better talk stations I've heard recently, and their afternoon host, Brian Joyce, was part of the "tryouts" on WYAY. More of that sound and feel to 106.7 would be an improvement.

Could Cumulus lease 1550 and put a translator on it? The translator should be an HD2 of one of their FM’s for more coverage. They could then move their talk to it and free up 106.7 to do 1980’s plus pop. All they would need to get started would be a PC and a music play list from one of their successful pop hits station (I guess they have one somewhere). If they don’t have one, then get an intern or clerical person to copy WCBS FM’s playlist off the internet. Then put each song’s title on a piece of paper and put it in a capsule. Mix two hours of songs in a drum then start drawing.* 97.1 did not have an air staff when they started.

*just kidding about the drum drawing. However the assistant PD and Music director at a station in Louisville I worked, recorded a Cincinnati station at his home, and his wife would type out the songs, and he brought the list in the office on Saturdays two hours later there was next week’s music logs.

Why would they need 1550? The HD2 or 3 would be the parent, or associated station.

Why would they need 1550? The HD2 or 3 would be the parent, or associated station.

Agreed. You can translate an HD subchannel, not just an AM. That's been the case for a while now and what Cumulus does with 97.9 and 98.9. In fact, I think Cumulus was the first operator to jump on this FCC "loophole"--plus putting translator transmitters on the tallest TV towers in town, since you're limited to 250W but there's no corresponding HAAT limit (as long as you don't cause interference, natch).

Cumulus has done this with music before; I think Warm 98.9 and Journey 97.9 were off the bird.

And except for any local talk they would want to produce (helloooooooo Kimmer!, says the Glorious Leslie Dove) and what's left of local news (would iHeartClearChannel let them have GNN?), Cumulus could do news and syndicated talk also off of satellite. All of WGST's news is now satellite...

But they're not going to put a local news/talk on a translator. Too expensive

Agreed. If they stick with local news/talk and not 100% syndication, they will have to keep it on WYAY. But they could reduce their costs at WYAY.

Agreed. You can translate an HD subchannel, not just an AM. That's been the case for a while now and what Cumulus does with 97.9 and 98.9. In fact, I think Cumulus was the first operator to jump on this FCC "loophole"--plus putting translator transmitters on the tallest TV towers in town, since you're limited to 250W but there's no corresponding HAAT limit (as long as you don't cause interference, natch).

Steve Hedgewood, who runs Core Communications, was the guy who found the original Atlanta translators - the really good ones like 97.9. Hedgewood traded Cumulus 97.9 for a Class A in ALL-Benny Georgia - a rimshot at that! lew put a clause in the sale agreement that he could back out so, no...lew and company didn't have a clue until they saw 97.9 come on the air and get out like a 3,000 watt class A. Needless to say...Cumulus went with the trade - give them credit for that!
The dickies own 93.7 whose parent signal is 680 AM. 680 is a full 50,000 watts day so the translator signal fits easily inside the 2 mv contour. They also have a puddle jumper for 1340 that barely covers 3 miles from the transmitter site on Northside Dr. and one for 1230. It also will have tiny coverage.
So Steve was the real visionary who saw the potential for these "translators" in the Atlanta market. Many of the companies with "beachfront properties" refused to even consider the lowly translator until only very recently. Unfortunately, the cow has done left the barn....
If I remember my history correctly, the first AM station to receive a translator was in Tennessee and it was made possible by the involvement of a US Senator. That assignment essentially opened the floodgates...

Last edited:
BTW...Core's Streetz 94.5 is doing quite well I'm told. I can hear that signal anywhere I drive in the metro Atlanta area. Building penetration is better than you would expect and it will stop a scan 30 miles away.

One translator Hegwood (note the spelling) was ;easing a few years ago was found to be running 3,000 watts out the transmitter. This probably helped coverage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom