• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Three CBS Radio Station for Sale in Phoenix

ASU Sun Devil TV

New Participating Member
Six months ago, CBS Radio decided to get out the radio business. The three radio stations that CBS owned, It performs well than the small market stations. KMLE-FM, KOOL-FM and KALV-FM still gets good rating from Nielsen Holdings, PLC.

I know Entercom is looking to expand into different markets such as new acquired radio stations in Charlotte, NC. Entercom CEO David Field should consider to buy KMLE-FM, KOOL-FM and KALV-FM in Phoenix because it still gets good ratings and still performing well. Phoenix is a fast growing radio market in the nation.

http://www.entercom.com/entercom-ag...-nc-from-beasley-broadcast-group#.WArPK_krLIV

Last edited:
Six months ago, CBS Radio decided to get out the radio business. The three radio stations that CBS owned, It performs well than the small market stations. KMLE-FM, KOOL-FM and KALV-FM still gets good rating from Nielsen Holdings, PLC.

I know Entercom is looking to expand into different markets such as new acquired radio stations in Charlotte, NC. Entercom CEO David Field should consider to buy KMLE-FM, KOOL-FM and KALV-FM in Phoenix because it still gets good ratings and still performing well. Phoenix is a fast growing radio market in the nation.

http://www.entercom.com/entercom-ag...-nc-from-beasley-broadcast-group#.WArPK_krLIV

I wish someone would flip to *current* alt-radio as an alternative to the 90's-oriented "oldies" that's so pervasive on 93.3. Every time I think I heard a current (i.e., released in 2016) track on 93.3, I check the pre-set and it's actually on 93.9. It just floors me that Green Day has the #1 album in the country and the station that should have it in heavy rotation is still playing the "Good Riddance" Seinfeld song from before most of its target demo was even born. To put in perspective, that would be like some of the other stations in this market were still playing Tone Loc's "Funky Cold Medina" instead of current charting tracks. Does 93.3 not understand that KOOL and KSLX will be playing most of its library by next year at this time?

Six months ago, CBS Radio decided to get out the radio business.

You're misreading the story. CBS has announced it is spinning off its radio stations as a group, and will operate as a separate group with its own stock. So far they are not selling any stations piecemeal. My understanding is the Phoenix stations had been for sale for at least five years, and no acceptable offers had come through. So CBS Radio is taking this different route.

Doubtful SeeBS sells the Phoenix cluster, or any other station, as they're spinning off the radio division to shareholders next year. Moonves believes in selling high, while Field believes in buying low...not exactly a match. The existing radio division has consistent cash flow, but growth is stagnant. They're the last of the old line network operators to exit radio.

CBS is already merging their radio division with Entercom, so that means those three stations you mentioned will soon be owned by Entercom. Additionally, Entercom may acquire Bonneville's Phoenix cluster, since Entercom is required to divest stations in six markets where CBS and Entercom co-exist.

Even though the market has far too many stations, Entercom aint here and wants in. Why? All three CBS stations are performing well in the nations fifth largest market. Not sure they can do a deal with TMISU, but the Phoenix-Seattle connection makes things interesting.

You may not realize this by now, but CBS has already announced the merger of their radio division with Entercom on February 2nd, so that means KMLE-FM, KOOL-FM and KALV-FM will all be owned by Entercom. There has been speculation that Entercom may expand their Phoenix cluster by swapping with Bonneville in some of the overlapping markets, with Entercom receiving KMVP-FM, KTAR-FM, and KTAR-AM from Bonneville. Entercom will announce which stations are officially going into the trust once the merger closes. At that point, Entercom will begin swapping or selling their required spinoffs.

Are you speaking of Dallas? Nielsen says Phoenix is market #15. Seattle is #13.

You're right, and a tip of the fez for catching our faux pas! What we meant to say is Phoenix is now the fifth largest city according to the US Census Bureau. #1 NYC, #2 LA, #3 Chicago, #4 Houston, #5 Phoenix. Who'd a thunk?

Don't forget Hubbard

Hubbard does a Phoenix cluster, but probably won't trade that cluster to Entercom, because it would put Entercom 1 FM station over the ownership limits in Phoenix. Hubbard may consider giving Entercom their St. Louis and Cincinnati clusters, depending on which stations Hubbard will take from Entercom.

Hubbard does a Phoenix cluster, but probably won't trade that cluster to Entercom, because it would put Entercom 1 FM station over the ownership limits in Phoenix. Hubbard may consider giving Entercom their St. Louis and Cincinnati clusters, depending on which stations Hubbard will take from Entercom.

Considering that Entercom has announced which stations it and CBS will potentially put into a divestiture trust, we can put the fantasy baseball lineups to rest. With a trust there's no real time pressure to make a deal. How many years have the stations in the trust from the Cumulus/Citadel merger been waiting for a buyer?

Considering that Entercom has announced which stations it and CBS will potentially put into a divestiture trust, we can put the fantasy baseball lineups to rest. With a trust there's no real time pressure to make a deal. How many years have the stations in the trust from the Cumulus/Citadel merger been waiting for a buyer?

True, dat. And Entercom has id'ed far more stations for the trust than are actually needed. David Field wisely turned in the license for beleaguered KDND in Sacramento in order to move the CBS deal along. He's playing everything close to the vest so the FCC (and DOJ) says OK.

How many years have the stations in the trust from the Cumulus/Citadel merger been waiting for a buyer?

There are still a bunch of stations in Clear Channel's Aloha Trust, In many cases it's been 15 years. The FCC has even prodded them along, and they've still gone unsold.

I've never been involved with any stations in a trust so I've long been curious...are those stations allowed to operate out of the same facilities as the company's other stations in that market? For example I know KFWB was held in a trust for many years until finally being sold to Lotus last year. Were they operated along side all the other CBS stations with local management there making decisions? I guess my question is how much actual distance does there have to be between the stations in the trust and the overbloated parent company or is it all a technicality?

I've never been involved with any stations in a trust so I've long been curious...are those stations allowed to operate out of the same facilities as the company's other stations in that market? For example I know KFWB was held in a trust for many years until finally being sold to Lotus last year. Were they operated along side all the other CBS stations with local management there making decisions? I guess my question is how much actual distance does there have to be between the stations in the trust and the overbloated parent company or is it all a technicality?

In the places I've seen it done, they remain in the same building, but some employees (including at least one manager) work for the trust to satisfy the main studio rule and the trust reimburses the licensee for shared employees and rent. Otherwise the trust keeps the revenue it makes to fund the operation.

The answer is that it depends. For logistical reasons, operators have been known to put stations with separate facilities into trust. Clear Channel did it in Wichita when it bought AMFM, and CBS put KLUV in Dallas into a trust after the Infinity deal because it was the only station to operate out of its own building with separate management.

When stations in the same facility go into trust, the trustee has to pay rent and operate the stations separately.

I would like to see if the biggest rumored Phoenix-Seattle swap will come to fruition once Entercom gets the Department of Justice approval to close the CBS Radio merger. That's when Entercom will begin playing musical chairs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom