• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

MetLife says goodbye to Snoopy

It might be the TV special's 50th anniversary, but there will be no Great Pumpkin this Halloween for MetLife Inc. The company unveiled new global branding on Thursday, and it doesn't include the Peanuts gang of Snoopy, Charlie Brown and Lucy.

Instead, the insurance firm is opting for a more simple identity, with a new logo and the tagline "MetLife. Navigating life together." MetLife had been using the Peanuts characters in its branding for more than three decades, but it was time for a change, according to Esther Lee, who joined the company as global chief marketing officer two years ago from AT&T. She noted that the brand first turned to Snoopy in 1985 as a way of making MetLife relatable and fun for consumers, who felt alienated by the cold harshness of the insurance industry.

The new branding push is the first comprehensive rebranding for MetLife in 30 years. It also comes amid other changes. Earlier this year, MetLife announced it would be spinning off its U.S. retail business into a new offering, called Brighthouse Financial.

http://adage.com/article/cmo-strategy/goodbye-snoopy-metlife-rebrands/306363/

bet you money Snoopy and the Peanuts gang starts showing up in GEICO or Progressive ads next year.

I'm tempted to take that bet. Why would two companies with very successful, very millennial branding pick up some other company's discarded '80s branding? Geico has been brilliant in making sure its campaigns never get stale -- e.g., the gecko comes and goes, the celebrity participation came and went, the cavemen came and went. And Progressive's Flo is just as effective as ever, IMO. The last thing either brand needs is Snoopy.

My favorite MetLife Peanuts spots were from the "For the If in Life" campaign where Snoopy is navigating landscapes with landmarks shaped life the word "if".

ixnay

Wait a second, "Brighthouse Financial". That won't get anybody in Florida. Why? Because there already is a Bright House here (it's the one company about to become Spectrum (Charter's rebranded name, I guess?)), and that would be a naming conflict here in the (Tampa) Bay Area and Central Florida.

Sorry if my comment a mix between broadcasting and off topic stuff. It's just the name of the spinoff company of MetLife that got me. :(

I'm tempted to take that bet. Why would two companies with very successful, very millennial branding pick up some other company's discarded '80s branding? Geico has been brilliant in making sure its campaigns never get stale -- e.g., the gecko comes and goes, the celebrity participation came and went, the cavemen came and went. And Progressive's Flo is just as effective as ever, IMO. The last thing either brand needs is Snoopy.

The joke there is because the Verizon guy is now with Sprint.
The Metlife blimp might not even fly at football games anymore.
That would be a good place to start guessing...Snoopy on a new blimp. (LOL?)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom