• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Christmas music is here!

I never understood the rush of some stations to play Christmas music, it's like Walmart/Kmart/Target, all dressed up for Christmas on Oct 21st, is it really necessary?

I never understood the rush of some stations to play Christmas music, it's like Walmart/Kmart/Target, all dressed up for Christmas on Oct 21st, is it really necessary?

The decorations -- and the festive music on radio -- get people shopping early. The earlier they start, the more time they have to come back and buy more stuff that they hadn't thought of on their previous visit.

Lol Oscar -- 'Humbug'

Some here might remember the Dennis The Menace cartoon, the usual one-panel, from decades ago, with him and his little pal Joey in some store surrounded by decorations. 'Look Joey! Christmas decorations! That means it's almost Thanksgiving!'

So this seasonal avarice didn't begin with radio. Radio sort of sniffed around the marketplace, in reaction. I suppose that at first, early Holiday formats were considered daring, pioneering, and even borderline-depraved. I guess in 2016 terrestrial needs all the help it can volunteer ringing kettle bells nowadays.

"Suddenly its Christmas, right after Halloween,,forget about Thanksgiving, its just a buffet in-between."
Loudon Wainwright 3.

I think that sums it up nicely

"Suddenly its Christmas, right after Halloween,,forget about Thanksgiving, its just a buffet in-between."
Loudon Wainwright 3.

I think that sums it up nicely

Sadly and unfortunately. It's not radio's fault, it's not retail's fault. It's the public (broadly speaking) which chooses this path and makes it more pronounced year after year.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom