• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Question about how long do News/Talk radio stations keep copies of interviews...

rricci

Regular Participant
(Subject cont)....and how to get copies.

The story: My father, my mother and my oldest brother were in Yakima, WA back in 1957. They were in a restaurant and a reporter for KIT came in for a "Man on the Street" interview. Well, the reporter spotted my father and started talking to him. Well, we had a record of that interview (my mom and my brother were all interviewed as well). During a recent (forced) move, that record was tossed. I am VERY furious at that. But the point of this post is, how long do radio stations keep copies of stuff like this. Is there ANY POSSIBLE way for me to get a copy? I have a copy of that label in my head so I know the date that was printed (I'm assuming it was the air date) on it, so it shouldn't be THAT difficult to find it (assuming they still have the tape).

Very unlikely anyone would have archives going back almost 60 years. KIT has been sold at least four times and moved studios numerous times. If they had a copy there's a good chance it would have been thrown out at one of these transitions.

Having said that, why not call or write to the station?

You would probably need to know the exact date that the interview aired, since any archive from that far back wouldn't have a cross-reference to a man on the street interview. Assuming they still have archives from 60 years ago. Which most stations don't.

It depends on the station. A small market station in the 50s, a matter of days. They'd keep the interview only until they needed to reuse the tape.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom