• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

NFL TV Ratings Down 10%, Even More For Prime Time Games

Well, now that the election is over, ratings should bounce back big, starting ... well, not tonight. Browns-Ravens. Think I'll watch warmed-over pundit talk on CNN or Fox.

Unless you are looking for comedy, any game featuring the Browns is going
to be a ratings bust.

40 million people watched Game Seven of that World Series.

Unless you are looking for comedy, any game featuring the Browns is going
to be a ratings bust.

40 million people watched Game Seven of that World Series.

I actually wound up watching an excellent college game -- North Carolina-Duke -- instead of either the NFL or more politics. It was a tight game, an upset, and the scoring was reasonable -- 28-27, not the Arena League scores the Big 12 and Pac 12 regularly produce -- which meant I actually saw defense being played. I looked in on Browns-Ravens in the third quarter, saw it was 13-7 Ravens and, correctly, surmised that the game was as good as over.

It's interesting that a longer show (like a 3 hour football game) that holds an audience over a longer time will help that network become #1 for the night, while a shorter show that holds the audience for 30 minutes is the #1 show. Neither of them attract more than 10% share. So TV is starting to look like radio, as stations compete for smaller shares of the audience.

This is important. Ratings only matter in terms of their influence on ad rates. It's not a popularity contest. So if ratings are down, but the NFL is still the best and most efficient way to reach a particular demographic, and the TV companies are creating better packages for advertisers (which they are in terms of brand placement), then the lower ratings don't matter. One network was not included in this article: The NFL Network.

I thought NBC was supposed to be able to choose its games and change its mind if the game originally scheduled turned out not to be a good one. Would a lousy Panthers team playing a better Seahawks team in Seattle be a good game? I just saw that it was 40-7. Seems like NBC could have done better.

I thought NBC was supposed to be able to choose its games and change its mind if the game originally scheduled turned out not to be a good one. Would a lousy Panthers team playing a better Seahawks team in Seattle be a good game? I just saw that it was 40-7. Seems like NBC could have done better.

Tonight's ESPN game is a potential stinker as well -- Colts-Jets. I suppose Bills-Raiders, Falcons-Chiefs or Giants-Steelers could have been moved -- or maybe not, I don't know all the details -- but I'm sure fans watched at least some of Seahawks-Panthers just because of the star power on the field, never mind that Carolina is having a horrible season.

Tonight's ESPN game is a potential stinker as well -- Colts-Jets. I suppose Bills-Raiders, Falcons-Chiefs or Giants-Steelers could have been moved -- or maybe not, I don't know all the details -- but I'm sure fans watched at least some of Seahawks-Panthers just because of the star power on the field, never mind that Carolina is having a horrible season.

Games can only be flexed into Sunday nights in December, where there are playoff implications. Monday and Thursday night games are fixed when the schedule comes out in late April or early May, about the time of the draft.

I'm sure last night's game -- Raiders-Chiefs -- did a decent number, but man, what a stinker of a game it was. Maybe the critics of the TNF concept who say the "short week" is impacting quality of play are on to something. That game should have been really good, but was poor quality throughout.

well,the Rams first season back in LA has been a losing one complete with the head coach getting fired before the season could end.

i don't think LA's a football city these days, it's gonna take years to rebuild good will for the NFL in LA after the Rams and Raiders left LA area in 1995 to move to their respected areas (Raiders moved back to the Bay Area to become Oakland's NFL team again, which the Rams moved to St. Louis only to move back to LA this season.).

well,the Rams first season back in LA has been a losing one complete with the head coach getting fired before the season could end.

i don't think LA's a football city these days, it's gonna take years to rebuild good will for the NFL in LA after the Rams and Raiders left LA area in 1995 to move to their respected areas (Raiders moved back to the Bay Area to become Oakland's NFL team again, which the Rams moved to St. Louis only to move back to LA this season.).

LA is a tough crowd. You can't be bad and successful in the NFL, but especially not in LA. But LA knew what they were getting with the Rams, so some support is still there, hoping for the best. The new coach will have a tough challenge. And then there is about a 95% chance the Chargers will move into the market. I suppose they will eventually share the new stadium, and the in-city competition will hopefully create better teams for both. But, seriously, I don't think LA fans will have much to cheer about for atleast 2-3 seasons, providing they draft correctly and eventually get skilled players in key positions. Sounds simplistic, but it is true.

Last edited:
I actually wound up watching an excellent college game -- North Carolina-Duke -- instead of either the NFL or more politics. It was a tight game, an upset, and the scoring was reasonable -- 28-27, not the Arena League scores the Big 12 and Pac 12 regularly produce -- which meant I actually saw defense being played. I looked in on Browns-Ravens in the third quarter, saw it was 13-7 Ravens and, correctly, surmised that the game was as good as over.

Last weekend's college D-II championship game between Northwest Missouri State and Univ. of North Alabama was one of the most fun games I've watched in a long time. Played in Kansas City in a blizzard at 11 degrees with howling winds. Despite this some of these wide receivers made amazing catches.

NFL games in climate-controlled domes are too sanitized by comparison.

Last edited:
NCAA football is football the way it is supposed to be played. Enthusiasm on the field and in the stands (and not the grandstanding so common in the NFL - although that is also creeping into the college game). More diverse play calling and unexpected outcomes (field goals are not automatic for instance). Much less hoopla by announcers and the usually dreadful pre-game shows. Marching bands instead of 35 year-old moms pretending to be 17 year-old cheerleaders. And lastly, the overpowering play reviews which are ruining the game.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom