• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

HD Radio for PC

radiosystem

Where can I find a decent HD radio tuner card for my PC (Windows/Linux)? The TV tuner card in there works great! I can watch local channels for free. My card actually has a FM tuner on it, but it doesn't work with the HDTV antenna attached. I want to listen and record HD radio on my computer. But, cannot afford the expensive PCIe HD radio cards on eBay. The experts on the other forums recommended attaching a car radio to my PC. I don't think anyone would run a car radio on top of a computer....

Recommendations to run a car radio with your computer just show the unavailability of HD tuners available nowadays, you are about as likely to find an HD radio card for your computer as you are are likely to find a Victrola card or a silent movie card.

Car radios with HD capability are generally high dollar items unless you can find one out of a wreck. Alternatively, if you can find a portable HD radio with a line out feature or make the headphone output work you can record off that on the PC.

Car radios with HD capability are generally high dollar items unless you can find one out of a wreck. Alternatively, if you can find a portable HD radio with a line out feature or make the headphone output work you can record off that on the PC.

line out or headphone output? That wouldn't produce the right quality audio. It would probably sound monotone.

But, cannot afford the expensive PCIe HD radio cards on eBay.

The reason those cards are expensive is the HD Radio format is a patented system, and those cards include the license fee from the manufacturer. All other broadcast media, like TV and FM, are no longer patented, so there is no license to pay. One of the things holding back HD is that fee. When the patent runs out, those cards will be cheap.

The ones I saw on eBay were $100...how cheap do you want it?

Last edited:
My suggestion would be to find the internet stream of the channel desired, or wait until after mid-October when Sangean brings out their FM-AM-HD Radio mini boombox, for around $125-150 or so. It would have a headphone output, it's based on the PR-D5/PR-D15 radios with have stereo headphone jacks.

Good luck either way.

line out or headphone output? That wouldn't produce the right quality audio. It would probably sound monotone.

I've done both and the sound is similar to CD quality (depending upon the original range). It probably would depend greatly on your equipment though.

I was in high school 1958-1962 and you younger guys here wonder why I think those were the golden days of pop music and radio (yes, even AM).

Sorry I must have missed something.. What do the late 50's and early 60's have to do with HD Radio?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom