• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Was Trump's "sniffing" during the debate a result of heavy audio processing?

Was Trump's "sniffing" during the debate a result of heavy audio processing?

The "issue" of Donald Trump's sniffing during last night's debate is all over talk radio today. There are lots of theories but the one I haven't heard is simply heavy audio processing. That was my first thought.

• Trump seems to have a husky but not loud voice that may be appropriate for heavy processing.
  • The "sniffs" occurred just as he took a breath to speak. Radio pros learn to breath through their mouth, not their nose, but Trump may not have learned that?
  • The problem seemed to stop later in the debate. Maybe the audio guys reduced the processing or added gating?
Trump says it's "the mic." I think he's close. What do techies think? Is this much ado about nothing?

And please, this thread is about a technical question, not a political one ... I hope it can stay that way.

Let's put it this way: My understanding is there's usually a sound check before the debate, and the candidates usually have people who are checking the sound and the picture. There's a lot at stake, and no one is going to leave it up to an outside technical company. If it's a big problem, I'm sure someone will find out who did the audio. It was a pool feed, and it's pretty easy to find out who did what. But it was pretty obvious at the beginning, maybe for the first question or two.

Is it possible they put an aggressive AGC on the mics? Yes. I doubt they would have set it so sensitive that it would have caught someone's every breath, unless those were the instructions Team Trump gave.

I think its more likely that Trump leaned in too close to the mic, as he has had a habit of doing at other events, particularly in RNC primary debates when he wanted to shout one of his opponents down.

I didn't really notice it, but many did. I think it was the processing. Nothing intentional, just something more pronounced in a one on one discussion, not as noticeable when many others are on the stage.

Is it possible they put an aggressive AGC on the mics? Yes. I doubt they would have set it so sensitive that it would have caught someone's every breath, unless those were the instructions Team Trump gave.

I think its more likely that Trump leaned in too close to the mic, as he has had a habit of doing at other events, particularly in RNC primary debates when he wanted to shout one of his opponents down.

I suspect you're correct on both counts - overly aggressive AGC and hugging the mic - but I doubt the former is conspiratorial, just poor judgement.

I'm in the midst of a satellite radio trial in a new car (never listened before) and I can't believe how much AGC they use! It makes everyone sound like they're gasping for air - exactly the way Trump sounded to me in the debate.

Those were not "breaths" -they were sniffles. I Listened on a large theater sound system with near-field monitors. you could hear the slight 4-5 db downward expansion on the feed.

You have to understand one basic fact about trump: he is a narcissist and pathological liar. He can never be wrong. He can never be at fault. He was that way as a Democrat. He is that way as a right-winger. He believes in nothing but himself.

I live and work here in Manhattan, all NY'ers have known about this character and the fact that he is nuts for decades. Whenever he lost in court or was outbid in some deal he lashed out and charged the other side with some sort of fraud and bias. His serial infidelity(s) were all over the papers and media. He routinely kept mistresses in the same "Trump Tower" as his wife and family. He narrowly escaped indictment on fraud due to using substandard mafia concrete on "his' west side projects. It was always others who were to blame.

Three decades of right wing talk media has helped make such a bizarrely unfit person the candidate of a major party.

I wonder if they'll take the blame for the result.

LCG

Those were not "breaths" -they were sniffles. I Listened on a large theater sound system with near-field monitors. you could hear the slight 4-5 db downward expansion on the feed.

You have to understand one basic fact about trump: he is a narcissist and pathological liar. He can never be wrong. He can never be at fault. He was that way as a Democrat. He is that way as a right-winger. He believes in nothing but himself.

I live and work here in Manhattan, all NY'ers have known about this character and the fact that he is nuts for decades. Whenever he lost in court or was outbid in some deal he lashed out and charged the other side with some sort of fraud and bias. His serial infidelity(s) were all over the papers and media. He routinely kept mistresses in the same "Trump Tower" as his wife and family. He narrowly escaped indictment on fraud due to using substandard mafia concrete on "his' west side projects. It was always others who were to blame.

Three decades of right wing talk media has helped make such a bizarrely unfit person the candidate of a major party.

I wonder if they'll take the blame for the result.

LCG

Well on the comedy shows you have John Oliver on Last week tonight go after Trump for the fraud part a few times. But the Trevor Noah editions of the Daily Show they went after Trump for acting insane on the campaign trail and Noah and the Daily show staff had some suspicions that Trump abused women at some point but could never pinpoint the exact cause though. Noah digs up clips of Trump incriminating himself in interviews about his kids like Ivanka. Back to the Microphone I think Trump was taking a breath between rants during the debates or had allergies.

There is a compression thread on RD somewhere, which might help to explain.

I noticed it in the 2nd one, not the first one so much. He has a somewhat nasal voice, I think he breathes through his mouth before speaking.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom