• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WFAN needs to provide accurate information on their website

MarcB

Walk of Fame Participant
The program schedule on WFAN.COM said that WFAN would be airing the Yankees-Blue Jays baseball game and that CBS 880 would be airing the Saints-Falcons Football game last night. CBS 880 was airing The Debate last night.

There was no station in my home market of Hartford that was airing the football game, which is why I checked the NYC stations.

Last edited by a moderator:
The program schedule on WFAN.COM said that WFAN would be airing the Yankees-Blue Jays baseball game and that CBS 880 would be airing the Saints-Falcons Football game last night. CBS 880 was airing The Debate last night.

There was no station in my home market of Hartford that was airing the football game, which is why I checked the NYC stations.

Not sure what the deal was but yes they should post accurate info. Completely understand why 880 was airing the debate.My guess but it is only a guess is the football game aired on one of the NYC CBS owned FM stations. I did listen to WFAN a lot yesterday but now I can't recall if they promoted the football game at all on any of their updates. Usually they do and say it is going to be aired on 880. I know the Yankees are number 1 on FAN. If the Giants are on at the same time they air on 880.Same deal if the Yankees play at the same time there is a Monday or Thursday night football game. Also when the Nets and Devils play at the same time one game moves to 880. And early in the baseball season it is possible the Yankees, Nets and Devils all play at the same time. The Yankees would be on WFAN, either the Nets or Devils on WCBS and there would be second overflow station to air the third team. Not sure what station they would use. I think at one time they used to use 1130 but I don't think they use that anymore and it isn't even a CBS station. They would never use WINS for obvious reasons. They would never run sports play by play on both their all news stations at the same time.

I haven't listened to a Monday night football game on the radio in a long time so I have no clue what station in Hartford the games ordinarily air on and I live in the Hartford market as well.Is it WTIC 1080? Does TIC still air both the Giants and Patriots? I know they did for a couple of years. Not sure how many times this season they play at the same time but that would present a problem. But I believe the Red Sox have priority over both football teams. But UConn sports I believe has priority over all their other sports play by play.

Not sure what the deal was but yes they should post accurate info. Completely understand why 880 was airing the debate.My guess but it is only a guess is the football game aired on one of the NYC CBS owned FM stations. I did listen to WFAN a lot yesterday but now I can't recall if they promoted the football game at all on any of their updates. Usually they do and say it is going to be aired on 880. I know the Yankees are number 1 on FAN. If the Giants are on at the same time they air on 880.Same deal if the Yankees play at the same time there is a Monday or Thursday night football game. Also when the Nets and Devils play at the same time one game moves to 880. And early in the baseball season it is possible the Yankees, Nets and Devils all play at the same time. The Yankees would be on WFAN, either the Nets or Devils on WCBS and there would be second overflow station to air the third team. Not sure what station they would use. I think at one time they used to use 1130 but I don't think they use that anymore and it isn't even a CBS station. They would never use WINS for obvious reasons. They would never run sports play by play on both their all news stations at the same time.

I haven't listened to a Monday night football game on the radio in a long time so I have no clue what station in Hartford the games ordinarily air on and I live in the Hartford market as well.Is it WTIC 1080? Does TIC still air both the Giants and Patriots? I know they did for a couple of years. Not sure how many times this season they play at the same time but that would present a problem. But I believe the Red Sox have priority over both football teams. But UConn sports I believe has priority over all their other sports play by play.

WBBR 1130 had the debate as well. (Just like Bloomberg TV).

As for Hartford I think the Monday night games are on NewsRadio 1410 WPOP because they carried the Bears-Cowboys game on Sunday night. WPOP had the debate. (Maybe they'll move to WUCS 97.9 once the Yankees season is over) And yes WTIC carries both Patriots and Giants. Giants take priority and the Patriots go on WDRC 1360 only. I mention in the CT Board when I was doing a band scan last week that Pats feed on WDRC 1360 was horrible. And someone mentioned UCONN Football was on WTIC and no one had the SOX game. WUCS had it but they are the Yankees affiliate.

WBBR 1130 had the debate as well. (Just like Bloomberg TV).

As for Hartford I think the Monday night games are on NewsRadio 1410 WPOP because they carried the Bears-Cowboys game on Sunday night. WPOP had the debate. (Maybe they'll move to WUCS 97.9 once the Yankees season is over) And yes WTIC carries both Patriots and Giants. Giants take priority and the Patriots go on WDRC 1360 only. I mention in the CT Board when I was doing a band scan last week that Pats feed on WDRC 1360 was horrible. And someone mentioned UCONN Football was on WTIC and no one had the SOX game. WUCS had it but they are the Yankees affiliate.

My guess is the games will stay on WPOP even after the Yankees season is over. Because WUCS I believe will carry MLB post season games through their ESPN affiliation.But it is possible the football games might move to WUCS after the World Series is over. Do you recall what the deal was last season? What was so bad about the Pats feed on WDRC compared to WTIC. I know TIC has the much better signal but based on what you are saying it wasn't that.

I don't think WTIC has an overflow station to put the Red Sox games on when they are airing UConn sports. What happens when the UConn men's and UConn women's basketball teams play at the same time? I know it doesn't happen very often but I vaguely recall it happening a couple of times in the past. Would they put the women's game on WTIC FM? I am a Yankees fan but do recall years ago when WTIC did not carry weekday afternoon Red Sox games. That was their policy for many years going back I think to when they first began carrying Red Sox games which was probably almost 60 years ago. I believe that WTIC has the longest relationship of any radio station carrying a major league baseball team. I am 63 years old and recall them carrying the games when I was a little boy. And that might be a reason growing up that there were more Red Sox fans than Yankees fans in Central CT because it was much easier to listen to the Red Sox games on the radio. I remember growing up there was a station in Manchester which broadcast the Yankees games. Listening to the day games living in New Britain was fine but the night games were hard because the station was forced to lower their power. I recall tuning to the NY station they were on to listen to night games because it came in better on my transistor radio than the Manchester station did.

Not sure if WFAN uses WBBR anymore when they have three games going on at the same time. I am pretty sure though they have used them in the past. I wish I could remember if they promoted the Falcons-Saints game on Monday. Honestly when they have their updates I often pay little or no attention to them because I get most of my sports info online. But if a station was carrying it WFAN would tell their listeners where to tune in to hear the game. When a game is going to be on 880 or another station they let their listeners know that.

Back in 1997 during conflicts UCONN Men were on 1080, UCONN Women were on 96.5, and The Whalers were on 93.7

I vaguely remember that. I forgot that WTIC carried the Whalers and what happened when all three teams played at the same time even though it rarely happened. It had to happen often that the Whalers conflicted with either the UConn men or UConn women. What happened then? Did the Whalers air on 93.7? I don't recall sports play by play ever being on 96.5 except on very rare occasions. I never recall a Red Sox game airing on 96.5 although it is possible it could have occasionally happened.

Changing gears again I wonder if WFAN will ever begin airing separate programming on 660 and 101.9. There were rumors way back that you can maybe confirm that eventually 101.9 would air the local programming currently simulcast on both frequencies and 660 would become CBS Sports radio but that never happened. And the reason I believe that hasn't happened is for ratings purposes. As long as they air the exact same programming the ratings count for one station whether the person listened on 660 or 101.9. But if they decided to someday separate the two stations it would be an easy way for them to handle their sports play by play overflow. Also I believe that was a major reason that the Yankees stayed with CBS radio instead of going to another outlet like ESPN radio New York.They wanted their games broadcast on FM and now they have the best of all worlds with their games being on both AM and FM.And I also believe WOR was interested in the Yankees even though they couldn't satisfy the Yankees desire to be on FM. But clearly they wanted to get more into the sports play by play business so after the Yankees signed up again with CBS radio they acquired the rights to the Mets.

Didn't a similar situation happen in Boston with WEEI? At one point didn't both the AM and FM outlets air local sports talk? And if I recall the AM outlet later on began airing ESPN radio while FM stayed local. That solved their sports overflow problem which isn't much of a problem anymore because except for the Red Sox I believe all the other major Boston sports teams the Patriots, Celtics and Bruins are all on BZ FM now. Am I correct? But after WEEI went with different programming for AM and FM that is when the Red Sox began airing on FM exclusively. I think for a period of time they might have aired on both AM and FM similar to the Yankees now. But when EEI first acquired the rights to the Red Sox games didn't they air most of them on WRKO with only a few on WEEI? I seem to recall that. I am asking you because even though I think I know quite a bit about radio I believe you know more than I do.

I do wonder for how long WFAN will continue to air the exact same programming on both 660 and 101.9. Do you think something will happen after CBS spins off their radio division?

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom