• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

All 90's weekend on KLOS

MarkW

Star Participant
Really liking what I'm hearing!!! They are actually playing a good dose of REAL ROCK, as opposed to the overdose of dinosaur rock they normally play.

95.5's playlist this weekend also contrasts very nicely to the insufferable sissy music played on 106.7.

Because they know that they have to keep moving the bar. They cant stay stuck with the same songs for the next 10 years. They also will be competing with 90's on Kearth 101. Seeing how Kearth is slowly adding 90's.
KLOS would probably be the best station for 90's rock. As they can play alternative and modern rock into the playlist. KSWD not so much.

The problem is the quality of most AOR rock, and frankly even "alternative" started to go way down in the 90s and doesn't have the staying power of some of the older stuff. Does anyone really want to hear Alice in Chains again? That's not just the opinion now, it was the opinion then. KLOS thought they had to change with the times even then and went to an alt heavy format for a few years in the 90s and got killed in the ratings. Afterwards they only kept a few of the best performing cuts in the rotation and went back to the tried and true stuff. Has stayed that way for the last 20 years, which brings us to the problem they have today. They can't play Zeppelin forever and the newer product is simply not as good. What to do?

They can't play Zeppelin forever and the newer product is simply not as good. What to do?

That's not an issue for radio. We don't make the music, we just play it. If there's an large marketable audience for dogs barking, we play it.

As Charlie says, Starkist doesn't want tuna with good taste, but tuna that tastes good.

The problem is the quality of most AOR rock, and frankly even "alternative" started to go way down in the 90s and doesn't have the staying power of some of the older stuff. Does anyone really want to hear Alice in Chains again? That's not just the opinion now, it was the opinion then. KLOS thought they had to change with the times even then and went to an alt heavy format for a few years in the 90s and got killed in the ratings. Afterwards they only kept a few of the best performing cuts in the rotation and went back to the tried and true stuff. Has stayed that way for the last 20 years, which brings us to the problem they have today. They can't play Zeppelin forever and the newer product is simply not as good. What to do?

Regardless of quality, there is also a lack of quantity. In the 1990s, rock stations had hundreds of 70s song in rotation. There were a few dozen Zeppelin songs alone played on a regular basis. In contrast, I only hear a few dozen total from the 90s on rock or alt stations. Even the biggest names, like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alice Chains have about 5 songs each I ever hear on the radio. Unless programmers bring back scores of forgotten cuts and play them enough so people become familiar with them, it seems like there is not a basis for 90s classic rock. The format may just fade over time.

it seems like there is not a basis for 90s classic rock.

Maybe that's why they just did it as a weekend...

It's why I really don't like to define music strictly by decade. Because music isn't made that way. It's like programming by chart position. You program by the audience, and the audience doesn't think of the decade when they pick their favorite songs.

Maybe that's why they just did it as a weekend...

It's why I really don't like to define music strictly by decade. Because music isn't made that way. It's like programming by chart position. You program by the audience, and the audience doesn't think of the decade when they pick their favorite songs.

True. It seems that generally classic rock stations focus on music spanning roughly two decades. Now, the focus is mostly 70s and 80s. Once the 70s songs start aging out, and even the 80s ones do, they might start to run out of songs to play, since there may not be enough 90s songs to replace the 70s ones.

Once the 70s songs start aging out, and even the 80s ones do, they might start to run out of songs to play, since there may not be enough 90s songs to replace the 70s ones.

That may be. Or maybe they'll infuse some 2000s songs that fit the format. I hear a lot of stuff that's pretty derivative and it would fit that context without much work.

That may be. Or maybe they'll infuse some 2000s songs that fit the format. I hear a lot of stuff that's pretty derivative and it would fit that context without much work.

They've already begun to do that. Just this past weekend they had a special "Warehouse" performance with local rock heroes, Rival Sons who just finished opening for Black Sabbath on their farewell tour. They also have a Halloween show with 5 Finger Death Punch, Shinedown and Sixx AM (Niki Sixx late of Motley Crue's band). The station has gradually been jettisoning a lot of older music, especially from the 60s. You will almost never hear the Beatles except for Breakfast With The Beatles on Sunday. Shinedown, Sixx AM and Rival Sons are part of their regular rotation. The station is gradually morphing into a mainstream rock station. In fact I have recently seen it listed as AOR on certain charts. Refreshing.

I disagree that there is not enough music from the 90s. Red Hot Chili Peppers, Incubus, Linkin Park, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Alice in Chains, Green Day, Stone Temple Pilots, Smashing Pumpkins, U2... There is more than enough music to mix in with the 80s and 70s tunes. Does anyone want to hear Alice In Chains? I don't know, do people still listen to Hotel California? If the songs test well, they'll be played.

They've already begun to do that. Just this past weekend they had a special "Warehouse" performance with local rock heroes, Rival Sons who just finished opening for Black Sabbath on their farewell tour. They also have a Halloween show with 5 Finger Death Punch, Shinedown and Sixx AM (Niki Sixx late of Motley Crue's band). The station has gradually been jettisoning a lot of older music, especially from the 60s. You will almost never hear the Beatles except for Breakfast With The Beatles on Sunday. Shinedown, Sixx AM and Rival Sons are part of their regular rotation. The station is gradually morphing into a mainstream rock station. In fact I have recently seen it listed as AOR on certain charts. Refreshing.

I disagree that there is not enough music from the 90s. Red Hot Chili Peppers, Incubus, Linkin Park, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Alice in Chains, Green Day, Stone Temple Pilots, Smashing Pumpkins, U2... There is more than enough music to mix in with the 80s and 70s tunes. Does anyone want to hear Alice In Chains? I don't know, do people still listen to Hotel California? If the songs test well, they'll be played.

Agreed. Spot on robnoxious

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom