• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Westwood One News to Cover Presidential Debates

http://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n33328

Heres one of the biggest events for News/Talk Stations of the year the Debate

Presidential:

Monday, September 26, 2016, 9 pm ET -- Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY
Sunday, October 9, 2016, 9 pm ET -- Washington University, St. Louis, MO
Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 9 pm ET -- University of Nevada, Las Vegas, NV
Vice Presidential:
Tuesday, October 4, 2016, 9 pm ET -- Longwood University, Farmville, VA

and heres a schedule for the radio debates.

Past history suggests NPR will feed it. It's up to stations to decide if they want to carry it.
Of course, same applies to WWI.
Let's hope the debates are widely ignored, as they deserve to be. They are not debates. And so-called debate commission is controlled by the two parties and they deliberately and arbitrarily exclude the Libertarian and Green Party candidates. We've already heard way too much from "Giant ******" and "Turd Sandwich" (see last week's episode of "South Park" if you don't recognize those names).

Will NPR have the debates? A Google search doesn't reveal whether the network will broadcast the debates.

Each of the major radio news networks will provide coverage to their affiliates and digital consumers. ABC, CBS, FOX, NPR and even WW1. Some will provide more than just feeds or cuts of the debate, as they will provide comprehensive coverage and analysis on the fly, in only the way radio journalism can do.

Each of the major radio news networks will provide coverage to their affiliates and digital consumers. ABC, CBS, FOX, NPR and even WW1. Some will provide more than just feeds or cuts of the debate, as they will provide comprehensive coverage and analysis on the fly, in only the way radio journalism can do.

Don't TV, cable and online media do that, too?
Analysis on the fly? You mean they talk while the debate is going on? I bet that will win friends in the audience. Nice thing about C-SPAN: They shut up and let things happen without interruption.

PS: Facebook and Twitter have announced they will live stream the first debate. In all likelihood other online sites will, too, in addition to the usual network websites.
In addition, look for on-demand streams for those who don't listen live.

Don't TV, cable and online media do that, too?
Analysis on the fly? You mean they talk while the debate is going on? I bet that will win friends in the audience. Nice thing about C-SPAN: They shut up and let things happen without interruption.

No, I mean in the immediate, quick-turnaround fashion that radio news is known for. This is a radio forum. I was speaking nicely of us.

But since you're curious: Usually the radio nets offer anchored coverage of the debates to their affiliates, where anchors and analysts set the stage for a few minutes before the actual debate starts. They might provide on-the-spot filler coverage in the event of a commerical break (though I don't recall the CPD debates during the general election having commercial breaks - it's usually the network unilateral debates during primary season that do). They also often provide a wrap-up broadcast following the debates that might feature analysis, audience reaction, interviews with candidates or surrogates, etc.

Don't worry, the annoying voices of journalists won't be stepping over the melodic tones of the candidates.

Well in some cities like San Francisco KQED-FM the NPR affiliate will sometimes switch to PBS Newshour and carry the debate coverage from there.
Why? NPR produces its own coverage, traditionally hosted by the All Things Considered crew.

Last edited:
I would watch the "debates" if there was even a faint chance that a real "debate" would break out. I really wish they would stop insulting our intelligence by calling them "debates".

The only real Presidential debates I've ever seen were between Kennedy and Nixon in 1960. Look them up on YouTube and you'll see that's what they really were. The moderator would pose a question or proposition to both candidates, and then get out of the way to let them actually debate with no limit on how much time they needed to respond.

So now I read that Trump is inviting Gennifer Flowers to sit in the front row during the debate? This should not be allowed by the debate organizers. It turns what should be a serious discussion into a circus. Time to trot out the dancing bears and the bearded lady. Do we want big ratings or a debate on the issues that effect us?

So now I read that Trump is inviting Gennifer Flowers to sit in the front row during the debate? This should not be allowed by the debate organizers. It turns what should be a serious discussion into a circus. Time to trot out the dancing bears and the bearded lady. Do we want big ratings or a debate on the issues that effect us?

The Trump campaign is now saying their man was just "making a point," that no invitation has been issued. The "point" being, I surmise, that Hillary's saving a seat for Mark Cuban, a billionaire supporter and -- one would assume -- donor, is somehow comparable to Donald's saving one for a former mistress of her husband. Hey, we've seen much bigger fibs than that passed off as truth this election cycle without hurting either candidate, so I suppose that challenging the legitimacy of this comparison is pointless.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom