iHeartMedia to launch paid music-streaming service - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: iHeartMedia to launch paid music-streaming service

Quote Originally Posted by microbob View Post
    Meanwhile Lew Dickey says that Broadcasters will have a tough road competing with New Media. Lew failed with RDIO doing the same thing IHeartRadio is planning on launching
    His mistake was working with Rdio. They never got out of the hole they dug when they started. Cumulus didn't have their own digital plan. They still don't. iHeart has done it slowly, and they own it all.

Quote Originally Posted by microbob View Post
    Meanwhile Lew Dickey says that Broadcasters will have a tough road competing with New Media.

http://nypost.com/2016/09/25/radio-b...ex-execs-book/
    Thanks Lew for sharing that unique and useful insight.
    Last edited by SaltyDog; 09-26-2016 at 11:36 AM.

Perhaps that's the mistake. Perhaps the wrong way of approaching new media is as a broadcaster. If you approach it strictly as new media, as something distinct from broadcasting, you're less likely to suffer the pitfalls of which Lew speaks. Certainly Pandora isn't approaching what they do as a broadcaster. They might call themselves "radio," but that's only if you limit radio to being in the music distribution business. I'm not sure broadcasters see themselves that way. So if broadcasters hope to succeed in new media, they have to see it as a separate enterprise, not restricted by federal radio laws, towers, and transmitters. They will have to set up a far more advanced customer service division than they currently have. This is something iHeart has already done, and Cumulus never understood. If you view advertisers as customers, it's difficult to adjust that vision to dealing directly with the public. To creating content specifically aimed at the public, and then creating another tier that charges money for it. iHeart is years ahead of other broadcasters in terms of making that adjustment.

Lew says: “Radio broadcasters will be unlikely to benefit from subscription revenue for their core service, leaving them highly exposed to the ad markets."

Yet somehow, Sirius operates a successful business largely based on subscription. Over 25 million people subscribe to Sirius Radio.

Public radio is based on the subscription model. While a portion of their revenue comes from grants and foundations, the core of their money comes directly from the public.

I don't think iHeart sees subscription as their core service. I don't think Pandora sees it that way either.

I think Lew has a very narrow view of the radio business. I think that was part of his downfall at Cumulus. He could only see revenue in one way, and when it wasn't enough to fund the company, he was doomed.
    Last edited by TheBigA; 09-26-2016 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    I think Lew has a very limited view of the radio business. I think that was part of his downfall at Cumulus. He could only see revenue in one way, and when it wasn't enough to fund the company, he was doomed.
    He was a self-described consolidator. He rode Cumulus as far as consolidating can take anyone. He bought, he eliminated overlapping personnel and cut other costs. That's what consolidators do no matter the business that is being consolidated. I wouldn't look to a consolidator for innovation.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
    He was a self-described consolidator. He rode Cumulus as far as consolidating can take anyone. He bought, he eliminated overlapping personnel and cut other costs. That's what consolidators do no matter the business that is being consolidated. I wouldn't look to a consolidator for innovation.
    He's also a second generation broadcaster, and he seems tied to his father's view of the industry. This book might be a new version of Who Moved My Cheese.

I wonder if iHeartRadio Plus or All Access will let you listen to all stations with commercials from the area the station is covering (not iHeart put in content during commercials), so you listen what the locals (of the station) listen, like shopping and car commercials from that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Will_H_69_9 View Post
    how long will it be before IHeartRadio tries to put all their FM & AM stations streams behind the pay wall in a way similar to how you have to pay to get local TV stations on Cable & Satellite TV.

i think IHeartRadio will end up being the first to do this.
    That would be suicidal. The reason they went online in the first place was because more and more of the
    audience was tuning out terrestrial radio in favor of online streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyE1977 View Post
    The reason they went online in the first place was because more and more of the audience was tuning out terrestrial radio in favor of online streaming.
    I don't think that part's true. More about putting their content on other platforms.

I can't see them putting their ad supported stations (their OTA stations) behind a paywall. With the multitude of options that exist, I honestly think that wouldn't fly.
    I got out of the business before it sucked the life out of me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast