• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KNKX programming changes

Unfortunately a lot of the songs in those shows haven't aged well. Interesting time capsule, but not great radio in today's context.

Like Car Talk, those are local shows that NPR distributes. As opposed to NPR shows like All Things Considered and Morning Edition. When Rehm retires at the end of this year, WAMU will obviously replace her, but unless it's someone with similar heritage, it will take a while to catch on. Chris Thiele has had a long relationship with PHC, so the show's listeners know who he is and what they can expect from him. They had a break-in period for a few years. Not so with Rehm, unless they replace her with Rene Montaigne or someone like that, which come to think of it is a good idea. Except she'll have to move back to DC from the west coast.

You're right about the local programs NPR syndicates (seems like nearly every NPR program is tagged with the call letters of one of their big affiliates like WBEZ, WAMU or WHYY.) Diane Rehm's voice is really failing now and it's getting difficult to understand her sometimes. And I honestly feel bad for her. Spasmodic dysphonia is the worst thing that could ever happen to an on-air broadcaster.

If no one at WAMU has found an heir yet for the show this close to the end of it's run with Diane Rehm, that doesn't look good for it's future in 2017 (and it is of course, The Diane Rehm Show.)

Unfortunately a lot of the songs in those shows haven't aged well. Interesting time capsule, but not great radio in today's context.

True, but that's all the AT40 reruns were meant to be.

seems like nearly every NPR program is tagged with the call letters of one of their big affiliates like WBEZ, WAMU or WHYY.

And why shouldn't they be tagged as I am sure each of the NPR as even of the shows originates for a certain city and that NPR station is their home station or even flagship station if you prefer, like Wait Wait Don't Tell Me regularly records in Chicago, IL in less they do a road taping. Techionally This American Life also has WBEZ as its home station, even through the show records in New York City which they moved to in 2007 after they spent 12 years recording in Chicago. But then shouldn't they have one of New York City's two NPR stations be listed as the home station for This American Life?

seems like nearly every NPR program is tagged with the call letters of one of their big affiliates like WBEZ, WAMU or WHYY.

And why shouldn't they be tagged as I am sure each of the NPR as even of the shows originates for a certain city and that NPR station is their home station or even flagship station if you prefer, like Wait Wait Don't Tell Me regularly records in Chicago, IL in less they do a road taping. Techionally This American Life also has WBEZ as its home station, even through the show records in New York City which they moved to in 2007 after they spent 12 years recording in Chicago. But then shouldn't they have one of New York City's two NPR stations be listed as the home station for This American Life?

My understanding is that the listed stations are the ones that produce and distribute the program... not necessarily the station the program is taped at.

I guess but for This American Life should it be produced in New York one of their stations and not here since it is not recorded, and like I said air Wait DOn't Tell Me is mainly recorded in Chicago in less they do a road taping which if you look at NPR's page for them, you can click to see and where they are scheduled to tape at.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom