• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week: 810

Does anyone from the 48 states pick up the 810 AM from San Juan? I know it's a long way east and probably not a likely catch, but maybe a rarity?

Does anyone from the 48 states pick up the 810 AM from San Juan? I know it's a long way east and probably not a likely catch, but maybe a rarity?

Very seldom heard in the US as it sends less than the equivalent of 500 watts towards WGY. It has a rather deteriorated transmitter site near that of WQII, which is on very rocky ground where the ground system has not been maintained since the original owner died in the late 70's.

All day,
All night,
All ZNS-3,
All the time

Very seldom heard in the US as it sends less than the equivalent of 500 watts towards WGY. It has a rather deteriorated transmitter site near that of WQII, which is on very rocky ground where the ground system has not been maintained since the original owner died in the late 70's.

That should have read "very seldom heard on the US mainland..." Of course, Puerto Rico is, itself, part of the US so obviously WKVM can be heard there!

KGO is coming in very well in Mesa AZ (30 miles NE of downtown Phoenix) right now. So are KCBS and KNBR -- and that's inside a stucco-encrusted house.

In Indy, 250 watt daytimer WSYW with Spanish format.
The signal has great range! I can pick it up strong throughout Central Indiana.

That should have read "very seldom heard on the US mainland..." Of course, Puerto Rico is, itself, part of the US so obviously WKVM can be heard there!

Good catch, David. I read right past it -- even though I have practically lectured people on that very point in the past. I didn't realize that about WKVM's signal.

Good catch, David. I read right past it -- even though I have practically lectured people on that very point in the past. I didn't realize that about WKVM's signal.

I recall seeing exposed radials on the hillside where 'KVM is located as far back as the 70's. The site was only about a half mile from my WQII site, so I saw it regularly. And for years they operated under various STAs or "just because" at much lower than 50 kw as the owner who built it highly modified the transmitter and no engineer in San Juan wanted to work on it. They finally bought a new transmitter when the Catholic Church bought it.

Of course, Puerto Rico is, itself, part of the US so obviously WKVM can be heard there!
John Oliver of HBO's "Last Week Tonight" criticized people who claimed that Sonia Sotomayor's parents "immigrated" from Puerto Rico to the United States, because they actually "moved" from Puerto Rico to New Jersey.

John Oliver of HBO's "Last Week Tonight" criticized people who claimed that Sonia Sotomayor's parents "immigrated" from Puerto Rico to the United States, because they actually "moved" from Puerto Rico to New Jersey.

It's always a problem to get folks to understand.

When I moved to LA, I took my daughter to register for school in The Valley. When the office person looked at her transcripts from her school in Puerto Rico and her birth certificate, she refused to register her without a green card.

I tried to explain that no green card was needed for born US citizens, and after explaining why several times, I was told that if I "kept on" they would call the cops and the immigration authorities. I ended up deciding that the quality of education at a school like that would be terrible, and was able to find a place at a Catholic school.

On the same note, I went into a small boil during the news coverage of the Trumpian visit to Mexico when journalists insisted in calling Enrique Peña Nieto "President Nieto" when that is absolutely wrong.

It's always a problem to get folks to understand.
...journalists insisted in calling..."President Nieto" when that is absolutely wrong.

On a side, side note,
We have a supermarket chain in south Florida called "Presidente", but store #32 in North Bay Village drops the final "e".

On a side, side, side note,
I only learned a few days ago that the Spanish word for Spanish is only Español in about half the "Spanish language" countries.
I would have assumed that castellano (with a lower case "c") is the official language of Castelia...LOL
The related language, Catalan or Valencian is the only official language of Andora and a few other small parking lots.

I think cd637299/Chris has heard WKVM from south FL, but I'm not sure.

...journalists insisted in calling Enrique Peña Nieto "President Nieto"...
Reminds me of the scene in Licence to Kill when Franz Sanchez says to Hector Lopez,
something like, "Remember, El Presidente, you're only El Presidente...for life"

My twenty-something year old daughter did not know that Puerto Ricans held US Citizenship
until I told her a couple of months ago.

I blame the school system. They are doing a really poor job teaching history, social studies and civics.

I blame the school system. They are doing a really poor job teaching history, social studies and civics.

Yep. You nailed it.

That is why in even the largest network and news media outlets they talk about "immigrants" from Puerto Rico. Stupid.

IMHO some of the worst examples of educational malpractice can be found among so-called "journalists" working in TV news. They don't know geography, nor history, and most amazingly can't write a complete English sentence.

Last edited:
IMHO some of the worst examples of educational malpractice can be found among so-called "journalists" working in TV news. They don't know geography, nor history, and most amazingly can't write a complete English sentence.

This is most evident when the names of US cities like Spokane, Worcester and New Orleans are pronounced in bizarre fashion.

The most widespread miss-pronunciation was during the Secret Service revelations surrounding debauchery in the northern Colombian city of Cartagena. Pronounced "Kar-tuh-hay'-nah" nearly everyone from the network anchors to local stations were calling it "Cartageña" or "Kar-tuh-hen-yuh" which substitutes the Spanish letter "ñ" for the letter "n".

I still want to know where in Georgia the city of "Atlanter" is.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom