Someone pitching the idea to sell radio to 65+ demo - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Someone pitching the idea to sell radio to 65+ demo

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Except in the legal at the end, where they talk about "erections lasting more than 5 hours."

At a certain immature age, I would have considered that a product benefit.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

At a certain immature age, I would have considered that a product benefit.
    But at that age, you would not have needed a drug to achieve it.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    Except for "60 Minutes," and just about all the ads on that show target 65-to-dead.Do those advertisers pay a premium for the network's one consistent winner, or does "60 Minutes" billing still underperform more youth-oriented CBS fare?
    I was mortified, while watching the CBS network news, to come to the realization that every single spot looked like it was tailor made for the Lawrence Welk Show!

You can call it whatever you want. The courts have ruled that this is business, not discrimination.

Once again, I'm not saying there isn't money in targeting seniors. There is. The problem is advertisers are using other forms of media to reach them.

If that's a problem, complain to the advertisers. Tell them radio would love their business.
    I am not talking about business, discrimination or rulings from judge. I am talking about your stereotyping comment, which reeked of prejudice. Apparently, this is a prejudice shared by many broadcasters and ad agency people. Doesn't make your beliefs accurate.

Please don't blame the radio stations. The advertisers choose which age group(s) they want to reach.
    More information: http://www.radiodiscussions.com/show...am-for-seniors

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Madison View Post
    I am not talking about business, discrimination or rulings from judge. I am talking about your stereotyping comment, which reeked of prejudice. Apparently, this is a prejudice shared by many broadcasters and ad agency people. Doesn't make your beliefs accurate.

It doesn't matter what I believe or what you believe. It doesn't matter if you don't think it's accurate. What matters is the advertisers. It's their money, and they can spend it however they wish. Seniors are welcome to spend their money subscribing to services that program to their tastes. They will find there are lots of options available.

Radio broadcasters offer formats that target over 55s, most notably news/talk. Advertisers find that format works for them. They often will create their own program length commercials for news/talk radio stations. But as I said earlier, advertisers say most music formats are not the right environment for selling products aimed at seniors.
    Last edited by TheBigA; 09-13-2016 at 10:40 AM.

Or after they play "high on the mountain of love."
    With the visual of sitting in two separate bathtubs in a field on the mountain, where they are discussing how to locate the sadist who thought that one up.
    No irony there.

People over 65 listen to the Radio like News, Sports & Weather

But there Grandchildren will tell them to get all the stuff on the internet

I wonder where the mediocre recovery fits into this 55+ scenario. If one looks at the statistics, a massive swath of Americans over 45 are still working age but out of work. Many are supporting other unemployed members of their families. How many of them really have the disposable income to appeal to advertisers, and I'm certain the advertisers must be aware of the statistics.

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    [FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"]
    Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    [COLOR="Black"]People over 65 listen to the Radio like News, Sports & Weather

As a representative market, I looked at Chicago. Just under 40% of 65 and over listening went to talk, news and sports stations. Over a third of that went to one station, WBBM, which is all news.

But just over 60% of listening goes to music stations, ranging from classical to classic rock to AC, Country, Urban AC and regional Mexican.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast