• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Someone pitching the idea to sell radio to 65+ demo

Shows filmed in color look different, even on black and white sets.

The average viewer could not tell the difference as they had no point of reference for comparison.

"Have it your way" was from the mid-70's. Prior to that, Burger King emphasized the size of the Whopper ("It takes two handle a Whopper"), when Mickey D had yet to introduce the Big Mac.

The Big Mac was introduced in Tucson, AZ in 1968. It was the first thing at McDonald's I found edible.

The average viewer could not tell the difference as they had no point of reference for comparison.

I guess I wasn't average, even in grade school. I could tell the difference between episodes shot in black and white and color on "The Adventures of Superman" and "The Lone Ranger."

No, that was when most content was pushed in color, but still few homes had color TVs. It would not be until the beginning of the 70's that color TVs overtook black and white ones in the home.

I recall that 1968 was the first year that sales of color sets exceeded sales of black and white units, but it wasn't until 1974 that a majority of American households had a color set.

I guess I wasn't average, even in grade school. I could tell the difference between episodes shot in black and white and color on "The Adventures of Superman" and "The Lone Ranger."

On a black and white set there is a subtle difference in the grayscale between color productions and black and white video, but the vast majority of people would not be able to tell the difference.

On a black and white set there is a subtle difference in the grayscale between color productions and black and white video, but the vast majority of people would not be able to tell the difference.

It's not about grayscale. It's about how the color in sets and costumes shows up, in contrast to sets and costumes used in shooting black and white.

Imagine listening to an oldies radio station, and hearing all those great songs from your youth. All of a sudden the music stops, and commercials come on talking about funeral homes and drugs for prostate health. Talk about a rude awakening. Does that get you in the mood for buying something? Probably not.
Don't forget Medicare and Medicare supplements. And it's not just oldies but also standards. But I know who the target audience is for my music so I don't have a problem. And on the station I used to listen to, there were all the local businesses too.

I recall that 1968 was the first year that sales of color sets exceeded sales of black and white units, but it wasn't until 1974 that a majority of American households had a color set.
We didn't get one until 1986, and I mostly watched black and white until 2002.

"The Big Mac is a hamburger sold by international fast food restaurant chain McDonald's. It was introduced in the metropolitan area of Pittsburgh, United States, in 1967 and nationwide in 1968. It is one of the company's signature products."
Still off-topic since this is supposed to be radio and the commercial aired on TV, but I still remember a cowboy-style song about the new hamburger being "born". The lyrics included "Will it be a boy or a grill?"

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom