• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

OK who exactly owns the copyrights when it comes to airchecks ??

hamster

Frequent Participant
Today my 16 year old cousin who is autistic had found an old aircheck of mine from 1994 and had uploaded it onto You Tube. Almost within notime she had received an email from Iheart Media saying her video could not be posted as they claim copyright. Of course she was very upset and her her mother had called me about the situation. I had no idea what was going on so I called up my former radio station who is now owned by Iheart Media to ask them what was going on. They were no help but they did tell me when it comes to old airchecks that I might as well "burn them" since I nor anyone else can post them. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Anyway the station I was working at in 1994 where the aircheck had came from was own by another company since Iheart or even Clear Channel didn't even own the station at that point. OK..so what gives here ????

Most of what's on reelradio.com has been pirated and uploaded to YouTube. Often YouTube will take an aircheck with music down. I'm not aware of iHeart going out of their way to challenge old station airchecks, but they may well have concert footage from their music festival pulled. Copyright law is multi-faceted, the short answer would likely be that the station owns them (except for musical performances)

Today my 16 year old cousin who is autistic had found an old aircheck of mine from 1994 and had uploaded it onto You Tube. Almost within notime she had received an email from Iheart Media saying her video could not be posted as they claim copyright. Of course she was very upset and her her mother had called me about the situation. I had no idea what was going on so I called up my former radio station who is now owned by Iheart Media to ask them what was going on. They were no help but they did tell me when it comes to old airchecks that I might as well "burn them" since I nor anyone else can post them. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Anyway the station I was working at in 1994 where the aircheck had came from was own by another company since Iheart or even Clear Channel didn't even own the station at that point. OK..so what gives here ????

[ Copyright law is multi-faceted, the short answer would likely be that the station owns them (except for musical performances)

And it's the music that gets the airchecks pulled down.

And it's the music that gets the airchecks pulled down.

..and sometimes it could be the commercials too but then again I guess that would fall under "music" especially if there were jingles involved. For a time I was friends with a woman on Facebook whose dad for over 30 years was a radio announcer in my hometown. He died earlier this year and despite being out of the business for many years a few days after his death the radio station did an on air tribute to him His daughter taped it and posted it on Facebook. Even though there were no music involved as it was just a group of people talking about her father and days past at the radio station the station had the clip yanked anyway. They gave no reason. Now going back to what happened here if its the aircheck that I am thinking it was it was scoped..music was edited yet it was pulled anyway. Even if Iheart owns the tape now I am still surprised by their actions.

It's an automatic process. Facebook has implemented the same policies and procedures as YouTube, since Facebook video is a huge thing now.

..and sometimes it could be the commercials too but then again I guess that would fall under "music" especially if there were jingles involved. For a time I was friends with a woman on Facebook whose dad for over 30 years was a radio announcer in my hometown. He died earlier this year and despite being out of the business for many years a few days after his death the radio station did an on air tribute to him His daughter taped it and posted it on Facebook. Even though there were no music involved as it was just a group of people talking about her father and days past at the radio station the station had the clip yanked anyway. They gave no reason. Now going back to what happened here if its the aircheck that I am thinking it was it was scoped..music was edited yet it was pulled anyway. Even if Iheart owns the tape now I am still surprised by their actions.

It's an automatic process. Facebook has implemented the same policies and procedures as YouTube, since Facebook video is a huge thing now.

More like a FAST and automatic process. I belong to a Facebook group for owners of pet rats. One of the members is friends with me on Facebook. In the past she would send me privately video clips of her rats dancing, playing and whatnot with music being played in the background ( usually from a nearby radio ). Now a few weeks ago she started doing the live video thing on Facebook in the group. The last live video she did she had the camera in the cage to show the rats and then she says "...OK gang time to give my girls a little music ". No sooner than she turned the radio on Facebook not only suspended the live feed but wouldn't allow the clip to be uploaded either in the group. Now that was fast unlike You Tube where I have seen clips that were deleted over copyright stuff even though the same clip had been on You Tube for years. Same thing happened to another friend of mine who lives in Greenvillle, SC in his case in the live video he is seen in his car smoking his cigar. After about 5 minutes of silence he says "..don't you think its quiet in here...let me fix that...let me give you Chuck FM." turns on the radio and within seconds the live feed was suspended too.

Last edited:
More like a FAST and automatic process. I belong to a Facebook group for owners of pet rats. One of the members is friends with me on Facebook. In the past she would send me privately video clips of her rats dancing, playing and whatnot with music being played in the background ( usually from a nearby radio ). Now a few weeks ago she started doing the live video thing on Facebook in the group. The last live video she did she had the camera in the cage to show the rats and then she says "...OK gang time to give my girls a little music ". No sooner than she turned the radio on Facebook not only suspended the live feed but wouldn't allow the clip to be uploaded either in the group. Now that was fast unlike You Tube where I have seen clips that were deleted over copyright stuff even though the same clip had been on You Tube for years. Same thing happened to another friend of mine who lives in Greenvillle, SC in his case in the live video he is seen in his car smoking his cigar. After about 5 minutes of silence he says "..don't you think its quiet in here...let me fix that...let me give you Chuck FM." turns on the radio and within seconds the live feed was suspended too.

Same here...I sing in a barbershop chorus, and every year as we prepare for our annual show, we make sure to remind our members not to post any videos of our rehearsals on YouTube, Facebook, or any social media, else we could be on the hook for a LOT of money. I don't even think any of the old-timey songs like "Sweet Adeline" or "My Wild Irish Rose" are public domain, let alone any rock, country, or jazz stuff we perform. So yeah, you gotta be REAL careful.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom