• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FM translators for AM - are they really helping?

O

ok walters

The current translator windows for AMs to move them up to 250 miles has generated hundreds of sales and moves. Many AMs are now on the FM band with coverage areas similar to the AM, but how in the world does that help the AM? It may save a few financially but logic says that what will really happen is that most existing listeners will gravitate to the FM signal in short order, so how does that help AM? It seems that all it really accomplishes is moving listeners AWAY from the AM band, making it even less relevant moving forward. The other issue here is that the AMs who are struggling the most cannot afford a $40-80k expenditure to purchase, move and install a translator so much of the available spectrum is being taken by the ones that need the help the least. When the window opens next year for those stations who didn't or couldn't participate in the 2016 windows there will be very little left as far as frequency availability.

I still feel the best way to fix AM is to inspect every one and enforce the existing rules. Many of the struggling AMs have a grocery list of violations - everything from major issues like no manned studio and towers and equipment that are not in compliance to easy to fix stuff like incomplete public files. This would eliminate many AMs who should be gone anyway and clean the band up by eliminating interference. There used to be a financial test to determine who was qualified to have a license as well as regular enforcement - now there is virtually nothing to police the license holders. The license holders don't own the license - the FCC does - so there is no argument here about fairness to the little guy. Follow the rules or lose your license.

Thoughts?

I still feel the best way to fix AM is to inspect every one and enforce the existing rules.

Thoughts?

I agree, but that would cost the FCC money, and it doesn't want to do that. Radio owners take a lot of crap for being cheap, but nothing compares to the FCC. In the last 30 years, it has completely changed its focus from being a regulatory agency to making money. The FCC loves the FM translator idea because they make $500 in license fees for each one sold. So they're making money, not spending it. One of the Commissioners has gone so far as saying he wants to turn over policing for pirates to station owners. They simply don't want to regulate. So their idea for AM revitalization is to give up on AM.

Here's an article that confirms what you're saying:

http://www.insideradio.com/free/des...cle_b4d3a414-70de-11e6-b7be-bf26df848818.html

Last edited:
I agree, but that would cost the FCC money, and it doesn't want to do that. Radio owners take a lot of crap for being cheap, but nothing compares to the FCC. In the last 30 years, it has completely changed its focus from being a regulatory agency to making money. The FCC loves the FM translator idea because they make $500 in license fees for each one sold. So they're making money, not spending it. One of the Commissioners has gone so far as saying he wants to turn over policing for pirates to station owners. They simply don't want to regulate. So their idea for AM revitalization is to give up on AM.

Here's an article that confirms what you're saying:

http://www.insideradio.com/free/des...cle_b4d3a414-70de-11e6-b7be-bf26df848818.html

Don't know about the part about it costing them money. Even if most of the big offenders turned in their license, many would pay fines of some sort. There would definitely be significant fine revenue and there could be a very significant thinning of the herd by doing nothing other than enforcing the regs on the books for years. I would think it may be at worst revenue neutral, where the enforcement pays for itself. All of us know of AM stations that are utter disasters and would go away without even a whimper if a FCC agent gave the place a thorough inspection. The dangerous tower structures that exist out there now are another situation altogether, and would lead to more closures or major repairs and fines.

So who has benefited so far by the revitalization? The big AMs and those that are part of a cluster who could afford to buy and move one or more translators are now on FM, and the rural AMs and stand alone AMs who were struggling are still struggling and praying for something next year. The addition of a FM will only lead to the AM becoming secondary and may even make the deferred maintenance situation even worse in some places. If you have little capital, what are you going to do? Fix the AM that is not making money or get a FM and get it on air?

WFLF 540 in Orlando is a 50,000 watt AM blowtorch owned by Clear Channel. They got a translator for it on 102.5 FM running 250 watts from a 450 stick in downtown Orlando. They get about 15 miles out of the translator and the AM signal is 100 miles, yet the station is now known as "News Talk 102.5 FM Orlando - also still on 540 AM". They have a big signal AM and don't even hardly acknowledge its presence anymore - it will be even worse if the AM signal is weak. And why wouldn't you do exactly what they are doing? The FM will eventually have almost all of your listeners on it anyway.

There would definitely be significant fine revenue and there could be a very significant thinning of the herd by doing nothing other than enforcing the regs on the books for years.

There is absolutely no interest at the FCC in "thinning the herd." They want to keep adding stations, even if they're all run by EMF. More is better. This has been their agenda for 30 years. More stations translate to more money and democracy, and that translates to more of a justification to get their Congressional appropriation.

Getting people to the AM dial.....no. Helping some AM owners stay afloat, yes. The ability to run high school sports will save at least a couple that I know of locally, including the ine that plays unrecognizeable early 60s oldies mixed with unrecognizeable classic country. Doe WGTO and WLW need a translator? I
go with no.

Some people are buying dead 1kw AM stations strictly for the opportunity to qualify for an FM translator. The AM is the loss leader. What a way to revitalize AM! But the FCC can point to the fact that someone bought an AM signal. That counts as a win for them.

In Portland, all the open spaces are filled by LPFM CPs but that didn't stop two religious groups from buying up translators and trying to move them. It seems to me that allowing religious groups to do so, prevents their use by stations that would gain an advantage from such an action.

It seems to me that allowing religious groups to do so, prevents their use by stations that would gain an advantage from such an action.

The law doesn't allow the FCC to discriminate by programming. It's first come, first served. He with the most money wins.

This is why I say that LPFMs should only be allowed in the noncommercial part of the spectrum. But the law wasn't written that way.

I still feel the best way to fix AM is to inspect every one and enforce the existing rules. Many of the struggling AMs have a grocery list of violations - everything from major issues like no manned studio and towers and equipment that are not in compliance to easy to fix stuff like incomplete public files. This would eliminate many AMs who should be gone anyway and clean the band up by eliminating interference. There used to be a financial test to determine who was qualified to have a license as well as regular enforcement - now there is virtually nothing to police the license holders. The license holders don't own the license - the FCC does - so there is no argument here about fairness to the little guy. Follow the rules or lose your license.

Fining a few non-compliant AMs is not going to fix the band.

The fact is that just about everyone under 55 grew up on FM. Some of those under 55 occasionally use AM for sports broadcasts and special programming. Even fewer use AM because it is where there is programming aimed at their ethnic group or religious convictions.

But for the most part, AM listening is shrinking and now almost entirely concentrated in the age groups that don't represent revenue for radio. There is no way to fix that.

The high levels of noise on AM just make that worse, coupled with the large number of AMs that were built before urban sprawl put much of the local population outside their coverage area.

And it sounds bad.

I think we all know what the real solutions are, and the FCC is opposed to all of them. So it's a stalemate, and that's where it will remain.

It would be far more than a few that would get fined. I agree the band is pretty much dead at this point but the enforcement sweep can only help the remaining stations if a size able number are eliminated. I would think a third or more of the existing stations would have real problems if a FCC agent came in.

There have been many dead AMs brought back and immediately a FM translator is moved in as the main signal. I have seen several where they bought an AM and a FM translator for $75k. The AM is alive but is it really? Not one person listening and more interference for the stand alone AMs to overcome.

It would be far more than a few that would get fined. I agree the band is pretty much dead at this point but the enforcement sweep can only help the remaining stations if a size able number are eliminated. I would think a third or more of the existing stations would have real problems if a FCC agent came in.

An inspection can result in an order to rectify a less significant issue, or a notice of violation with a possible fine. To get a license revoked would require a lengthy hearing procedure and would not be based on just an inspection. In nearly all cases, the repair or remedy of the situation is doable, and few stations will say, "I can't do that" or "I can't afford that".

Plus the FCC has just closed almost a dozen field offices, so the inspections won't be happening.

In any case, thinning the heard does not improve the lot for remaining stations as the biggest issue for AM today is man-made interference, not a crowded band.

In any case, thinning the heard does not improve the lot for remaining stations as the biggest issue for AM today is man-made interference, not a crowded band. [/FONT]

In the meantime, the FCC is over-crowding the FM band, which at some point will cause problems that won't be easily solved.

An unpaid fine stops license renewal which is due in less than four years. Many AMs are on life support at this point already and have antiquated equipment and aging infrastructure that have been ignored for years due to a lack of revenue. The carnage of an enforcement sweep would be widespread and devastating if it was just done by the book. It may take a few years as licenses are valid until 2020 in most cases but it would thin the herd significantly at that point.

I agree that much of the interference issue is man made, but fewer stations sure can't hurt. All of this is pretty meaningless anyway as David explained above about the AM demographic aging out. Even if all interference was eliminated it won't bring younger people to the AM band as they have never been there before and many don't even know it exists.

In my opinion, the AM radio band is finished! Canada has all but phased out the AM band and Norway is closing down the FM band in favor of DAB broadcasting.

The law doesn't allow the FCC to discriminate by programming. It's first come, first served. He with the most money wins.

This is why I say that LPFMs should only be allowed in the noncommercial part of the spectrum. But the law wasn't written that way.
I know and hate to keep harping on this but allowing stations to take up the remaining frequencies that have no hope of advancing the "band", wherever it may end up, will only succeed in reducing the lifetimes of any viable stations.

In my opinion, the AM radio band is finished! Canada has all but phased out the AM band and Norway is closing down the FM band in favor of DAB broadcasting.

Yet in Buenos Aires (a city as big as New York City) AM has 40% of all listening. India is building several national networks on the Medium Wave Band, stressing much better rural coverage than FM. They will use DRM and the quality is excellent.

Canada still has something like 40% of its AMs, with new niche services replacing AMs that moved to FM

The only reason why owners are applying for FM translators, is for profit. An FM = revenue. The FCC loves it as well, more stations - more money. Thankfully Yakima hasn't jumped on this bandwagon THAT much yet. But in Seattle, where LPFM CPs are all over, new HD2 and AM translators are starting to pop up. In Olympia, there's two HD translators and now a 107.3 relaying KUOW-1340. With the crowded band in the metro, it's going to create more trouble than satisfaction, especially if an AM decides to throw a translator on top of a rimshot. KGNW-820 bought an Astoria translator and might be moving it to 104.1 (home of the 60KW KAFE Bellingham). This could affect KAFE on their fringe coverage area.

I wonder if within the next 10 years, the FCC will do to AM like they did for analog TV...a MW shutdown throughout the country, moving them to FM or online.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom