• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WUSF Beating WFLZ?

At first when I heard 99 Jamz, I thought I was receiving a DX from Miami's 99 Jamz, because they are so similar and at one time, WTSP interfered with WPLG in the analog days, so I thought I was hearing a very "far" DX of WEDR-FM, but it was actually WUJM-LP and not WEDR-FM in Miami.

Last edited:
At first when I heard 99 Jamz, I thought I was receiving a DX from Miami's 99 Jamz, because they are so similar and at one time, WTSP interfered with WPLG in the analog days, so I thought I was hearing a very "far" DX of WEDR-FM, but it was actually WUJM-LP and not WEDR-FM in Miami.

Another LP station just on the FCC Data base as of today is WMTB- 96.7, if I'm reading the FCC data base info right, they will be 26 watts with antenna height - 60 feet above sea level. They have been testing for at least 7 weeks. Their antenna is near the intersection of Arlington Ave N and 11th St N, just west of downtown St. Petersburg.

Thanks Frank, for waking me up! :)

Wow, thanks, I was wondering how they were getting out as well as they were at 60 feet. I need more caffeine; I should have known that! This station is not on Radio-locator yet and previously when looking up the call letters I would come up with an out of state AM station with no mention of this LPFM.

Just for the record, a number of Ivy League universities own commercial FM stations. That includes WBRU, Brown University, Providence, as well as WHRB Harvard and WPRB Princeton. The commercials run on the latter two are minimal but WBRU does run mostly like a commercial alternative station. Some DJs are students but many are pros. WBRU runs community programming on Sundays including music directed at the Providence African-American community. But the rest of the schedule is like a typical alternative station.

And we know Howard University, the nation's top traditionally black college, owns one of DC's top FM stations, WHUR, which I believe has only professionals on its air staff.

And getting back to the original post, NPR stations are clearly improving their ratings in many markets. WUSF may have scored the highest rating for an NPR outlet in a large Florida market. But looking at other NPR operations such as KQED San Francisco, WAMU Washington, KUT Austin and WUNC Raleigh, we see them doing great, in some case being the top station in morning drive, middays and weekends.

Last edited:
Not sure why people are surprised about this. What it says to me is that when people want news/talk, they go to WUSF. They have that format all to themselves. The loser here is WFLA.

TheBigA; I too have thought WFLA is the loser here, but this year being an election year and WFLA being political talk; I am perplexed about their slow downward spiral in the ratings; it is due to them being on the AM band? Would two or three strategically placed translators help them regain traction? They do have a signal on 97.9HD2 (tower in Holiday) which gives them coverage in north Pinellas county and s.w. Pasco county for those that have HD radios.

it is due to them being on the AM band?

It's a big part of it. There are no AM stations in the Top 10 in Tampa.

But also the bellowing of conservative talk has really started to lose traction, especially among a lot of retired folks. They seem to prefer the soothing talk of public radio. That style of presentation is working. They get the information they want without the yelling.

It should be noted that WFLA has also only one, live and local weekday show from 5a-9a. The rest of the day is nationally syndicated and then actually a replay in the evening. ...and AM Tampa Bay is aging too. I mean... who are Jack and Ted appealing too? Followed by Beck, Rush, and Hannity (all strong conservatives without any programs leaning to the left) ...is the lineup really that strong anymore? That's probably your answer as to why they've slipped. In my opinion, when WDAE went to an all live and local weekday schedule from 6a to 6p, their ratings actually increased did they not? In fact, I'm guessing WDAE is actually beating WFLA in many demos and dayparts. And what about 102.5 The Bone and 88.5 WMNF? Where do they fit in here as far as "Talk Radio". So while WUSF seems to be doing really well, I think there's more to it than their programming and style.

WUSF has a much better signal than any of the Tampa AM's. The also carry a lot of network programming (NPR, PRI, etc.) but their overnight jazz programming is locally produced, though I don't know if it's live or pre-recorded/voice-tracked.

Just for the record, a number of Ivy League universities own commercial FM stations. That includes WBRU, Brown University, Providence, as well as WHRB Harvard and WPRB Princeton. The commercials run on the latter two are minimal but WBRU does run mostly like a commercial alternative station. Some DJs are students but many are pros. WBRU runs community programming on Sundays including music directed at the Providence African-American community. But the rest of the schedule is like a typical alternative station.

Yale's WYBC is the perennial leader in the "beauty pageant" ratings in New Haven, although with its Urban AC format it probably is a weak biller. The station is professionally staffed through an operating agreement with Connoisseur Media (previously with Cox before Cox unloaded its New Haven cluster). Another Ivy League commercial FM is modern rock WFRD Hanover, NH. Again, a format with little appeal to Madison Avenue, but I'd imagine in a non-agency market like Hanover-Lebanon-White River Junction, they do OK with locals who want to reach a college audience.

And we know Howard University, the nation's top traditionally black college, owns one of DC's top FM stations, WHUR, which I believe has only professionals on its air staff.

Correct. On a side note, the station was originally owned by the Washington Post (along with WTOP-AM), but the paper donated the FM to Howard in the 60s because it felt there was no future with FM radio. That was also the reason why the broadcasting industry was willing to turn over the lower portion of the FM band for non-commercial educational radio. Had the decision waited a few years, it wouldn't have happened.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom