• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How is Rock 98.9 doing?

I believe there is no requirement for kids to carry the meter to school. 6 to 11 year-olds have a very reduced daily "in movement" time compared to adults in order for the household to be in compliance.

Most schools already ban students from using radios in the classroom, I kinda suspected that was a no-go.

I'm chuckling to myself with visions of first grade students carrying a PPM in their lunch buckets... with everything we now know about the flawed PPM technology, we still want to BELIEVE...

The next thing you know someone on here is going to blame the demise of KidStar on PPM!

I've never known of a commercial broadcasters asking for 6+ numbers.

Sort of off topic, but since you brought it up Bill.. I know you've been very clear that you're not a fan of PPM, but I'm curious to hear more details on your impressions. When you say flawed PPM technology, what examples of the flaws and results are causing you to arrive at those conclusions?

I don't have a dog in the fight either way, but am curious, given you've been in this business as long, or maybe even longer than me.

Although diaries aren't always that accurate either (that $1 doesn't buy accuracy), at least the diary model sampled a much larger population base over a period of time. And while I've never paid much attention to a particular book, long-term averaging provided a much higher sample. PPMs provide a more accurate sample of the users, but there is no assurance that the particular panels represent the larger population base. Some panelists keep the PPM for up to two years, and the broadcaster is at the mercy of those panelists, until new ones are chosen. A comparison might be that if we were to arbitrarily select a small group of voters and follow their changing opinions on the Presidential sweepstakes.

One of the problems statisticians have with something like audience surveys is that there are way too many variables. Day-part listening, 50 radio stations, etc. is much more detailed than a simple "who are you voting for".

There is the more recent discovery that talk stations were being under-reported due to the absence of PPM encoding when there is no music to mask the encoding. Voltaire was able to demonstrate those flaws, and Nielsen modified their model to address them.

PPM was an expensive project, much more expensive than Arbitron bargained for. To keep the cost down, sample sizes were reduced, therefore compromising the accuracy of the measurements.

Diaries in areas outside the metro are blended in with PPMs in the metro, producing a combination of long-term panelists and random diary recipients. I don't know how this works out. In our rural market, we sometimes show up in Thurston County on PPMs, but in other counties, we show up in the diaries. I fail to understand what methodology can produce any meaningful results.

Of course I am often wrong about things. I pontificated in the early '70s that FM would never work in Seattle due to the hills.

I lived in Seattle most of my life. Not once did I ever see a kid carrying a PPM. Actually, I never saw anyone with a PPM attached to themselves...is this an urban legend?

I lived in Seattle most of my life. Not once did I ever see a kid carrying a PPM. Actually, I never saw anyone with a PPM attached to themselves...is this an urban legend?

There you have it folks: Crainbebo, a resident of Yakima, former resident of Seattle, doesn't recall ever seeing kids wearing a PPM device. A clear indication PPM dosen't really exist. See Bill? It appears your skepticism was valid!

Hang around playgrounds much?

As I said earlier, children from 6 to 11 have limited carriage requirements. It's unlikely the PPM would be worn by a kid outside the home.

As to folks of all ages, take LA with About 3500 installed PPM devices. The population of the radio metro is 13,000,000 give or take. Do the math on the percentage of people who have meters.

Then consider that panel households are recruited for a period of 2 years, and the average real time on panel is about one year. So the panel turnover is less than 25 people a month in, perhaps, 10 households or dwelling units.

Further, PPM panelists are instructed not to publicize or talk about their participation in the radio survey process.

Women tend to put the meter in a purse or pocket. Men may wear it inside a jacket or suit. Even if someone with one of the tiny meters is near you, chances are you would never notice the meter.

So what do you think your chances of actually seeing a meter really are?

Last edited:
Some people have better things to do than document or memorize 32,313 posts.

Of course, I meant "earlier in the same thread".

There you have it folks: Crainbebo, a resident of Yakima, former resident of Seattle, doesn't recall ever seeing kids wearing a PPM device. A clear indication PPM dosen't really exist. See Bill? It appears your skepticism was valid!

Not only that... the PPM has only been used in Seattle for about 7 years, so prior to the 2009/2010 rollout, there were no PPM devices in Seattle.

Not only that... the PPM has only been used in Seattle for about 7 years, so prior to the 2009/2010 rollout, there were no PPM devices in Seattle.

Only David can take what's clearly sarcasm and craft a serious reply. Bravo!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom