• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WDUV with fulltime jock staff now?

Wimmmex

Star Participant
WDUV used to only have a morning show, if I recall correctly, with the rest of the day "jockless".

Do I understand that they now have midday and afternoon jocks?

WDUV used to only have a morning show, if I recall correctly, with the rest of the day "jockless".

For years and years this was a low budget, low billing station. Of recent, they have tried to make it competitive in the ratings by slowly adding talent and updating the format. The growth of revenue, from around fifteenth to third in the market, has been considerable.

For years and years this was a low budget, low billing station. Of recent, they have tried to make it competitive in the ratings by slowly adding talent and updating the format. The growth of revenue, from around fifteenth to third in the market, has been considerable.

Interesting posts on WDUV; as with so many other people, I seldom listen to terrestrial radio, even in the car, but may have to give WDUV at try.

The real question may be, are the DJ's live or voice tracked?

The real question may be, are the DJ's live or voice tracked?

Other than the people involved, who cares?

Bing Crosby was the first voice tracker. It didn't kill radio.

Cox doesn't use syndication or out of market talent. So whoever is doing it, they're in Tampa. Whether or not they're physically babysitting the computer is immaterial.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Giselle (afternoons) is physically in Miami at Easy 93.1 where she anchors mornings.

I'm all for DJ employment but one of the great things about WDUV was that it did run automated for decades outside of morning drive, both as an Easy Listening station and later as Soft Adult Contemporary. I would laugh when Radio & Records published its "Drivetime Dominators" lists every year, both quarter hour ratings and cume ratings. In quarter hour ratings we'd see afternoon names such as Pat St. John on WPLJ New York and Bill Lee on WQHT. Then in cume ratings, WDUV would always be among the top stations, but where the name of the DJ should go, we'd only see the word "automated."

A couple of years ago, WDUV added the syndicated Delilah show in the evening, while still playing the usual format. That was the first time there was a DJ outside of weekday mornings. But now it seems the WFEZ morning DJ is voicetracking afternoons for WDUV. And maybe they have someone else voicetracking middays?

Can anyone say if those people are announcing the song titles and artists? That was the one drawback to going automated. I'm sure listeners would like to know who sings True (Spandau Ballet) and similar soft 70s and 80s songs. Or are they only saying that they hope our Thursday is going well and to make sure we listen to WDUV tomorrow morning when they'll be giving away tickets to a Broadway musical coming to Tampa?

As well, the WDUV topic came up on Allan Sniffen's NYRMB just today. Younger-skewing plus a nice bump in revenue was stated as fact -- concurrent with increased 25-54.

It perhaps matters only to AARP-plus lurkers such as I and others with analog radios .... but has WDUV managed to retain most of those older listeners ? The aggregate numbers show a dip (albeit still way in front and in the high single digits). Perhaps Cox has staked out the best of both worlds with this station's direction and perception -- the only-game-in-town theory held by many, along with the red carpet being rolled out for the younger geezers.

As well, the WDUV topic came up on Allan Sniffen's NYRMB just today. Younger-skewing plus a nice bump in revenue was stated as fact -- concurrent with increased 25-54.

It perhaps matters only to AARP-plus lurkers such as I and others with analog radios .... but has WDUV managed to retain most of those older listeners ? The aggregate numbers show a dip (albeit still way in front and in the high single digits). Perhaps Cox has staked out the best of both worlds with this station's direction and perception -- the only-game-in-town theory held by many, along with the red carpet being rolled out for the younger geezers.

WDUV tried to move the median age from 65 to 55. In doing so, they kept fairly stable 12+ numbers while moving from 15th to the top 5 in 25-54. The growth in 25-54 came at the expense of, mostly, those over 65.

There is likely enough local direct and local agency business in their market to make 55-64 of some sales value. 65+ is not particularly interesting unless the only market you cover is The Villages.

In other WDUV news, looks like the HD2 has changed from Oldies to Big Machine Radio (country).

WDUV went to school on the evolution of WFEZ in Miami. When EZ-93.1 launched, the music mix was similar to WDUV. But to improve the demos and go for the big revenue and audience share of WLYF-FM, they skillfully fine-tuned the music to go younger while still having a different AC appeal than Lite 101.5. When you take that approach, you'll sacrifice 12-plus/55-plus, but the 25-54 improvement will more than compensate for that.

It's a bummer for the 55-plus audience, but far more lucrative for Cox Radio.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom