Ongoing issues regarding reopening long dead threads

Thread: Ongoing issues regarding reopening long dead threads

Ongoing issues regarding reopening long dead threads

It has long been my understanding that tradition says you never reopen long dead threads on a discussion site such as radiodiscussions.com. The one exception might be when current news impacts that old thread.

Some persons have become somewhat irritated that a new member here has been exploring old threads and replying to topics dead for as long as eight years. I recently attempted to offer a reply to that new member explaining how I understood that tradition. Out of curiosity, I then attempted to reply to a ten year old thread on that same board.

I was under the impression that before that reply would post to the site, I'd see a warning screen suggesting that I was reopening an old thread, asking if I meant to do so and suggesting that it might be a better idea to instead open a new topic. I clicked "submit" but did not see the warning screen expected. I edited the resulting post to apologize for breaking board etiquette and then headed here.

Multiple questions. Is that never reopen old threads tradition as I understand it to be? Are we not to reopen long dead topics? Or am I and others mistaken? If not, wasn't there once a feature on this board that presented a warning before submitting a reply to an old thread? Is that an option worth restoring or adding?

Or, in this new age, is that old tradition no longer valid board etiquette?

The software may be able to generate a warning when attempting to post something on a long-dead thread. I'll find out.
    Until now, it hasn't been a problem (as far as I know).

But am I correct, Frank, that traditional board etiquette suggests that old thread remain dead? Or is that what you mean by it's not a problem?

(And do you ever get a day off from this place?)

I have visited multiple sites this morning. In all cases, threads which are many years old remain active ... even when there has been no thread activity.
    I'll research it more.

No ... I never get a day off.