• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Popcorn anyone? Movie theater chain stunt...

When I was in high-school we did a charity fundraiser, staging a rock concert in our school auditorium with a couple of local garage bands. One of my jobs was to go and get the popcorn. I was dispatched to a theater supply warehouse in a seedy part of town, where an elderly gentleman in a moth-eaten sweater was willing to sell me all the popcorn I wanted....pre-popped.....in 30 gallon garbage bags.

Have avoided eating theater popcorn ever since.

No, but I had always assumed theaters popped it fresh onsite.
Apparently they were buying it pre-popped in garbage bags.
Popped who knows how long ago?

Virtually every indoor theater I've been in the past 30 years or so has a big popcorn machine popping away in the front of the snack bar. Some of the drive-ins might have done the garbage bag popcorn back in the old days. Their snack bars always had a very weird smell (which is why we brought our own food to the drive-in).

I've never eaten movie theater popcorn or even watched a movie in a theater since 1975 but for what I hear they charge, it had better be fresh.

I've never eaten movie theater popcorn or even watched a movie in a theater since 1975 but for what I hear they charge, it had better be fresh.

For any concession item to be worth what theaters charge for it, you ought to be getting at least twice as much of it for the price you pay.

For any concession item to be worth what theaters charge for it, you ought to be getting at least twice as much of it for the price you pay.

That depends. If it's full price for the movie, you might have a good point, but when it's a Tuesday special or some other deep discount, they have to make up for their losses somehow.
Even when paying full price, it's the snack bar that's keeping the theater in business, not the price of admission.

Some theaters really do offer a "twice as much" promotion, but only for the popcorn...not often for the pop.
I've even heard of theaters offering free refills of large pop and popcorn, but who wants to get up in the middle of a movie for a refill?? lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom