• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cheap Radios

I bought 2 cheap Radios to test out, Not made for DXing only for listening

Kaito KA-208 & a Kaide KK-818

The Kaide I bought has a Weird Defect, I let you see & find out what it is

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/pUYAAOSwyQtV3Rm6/s-l1600.jpg

Looks like the "5" in the middle of the FM band is probably TV channel 5 - but the reversing of two channels, and the inclusion of channel 1 is interesting. Maybe it is a China thing ---

I find most cheap radios can be improved substantially with better ceramic filters in the IF, and by putting a better ferrite bar in the AM. I wouldn't describe the radios I modified as being DX machines afterwards, but those nearby regionals that were covered up because of bad selectivity, etc. come right in after the mod. And the IC's used are usually enough to bring in really good FM after a mod. I have had radios go from literally junk to decent performers. One little "you subscribed now here is a free radio" radio went from nothing to almost as good as a GE superadio! The only change - 200 mm AM ferrite bar, 150 kHz FM ceramic filter, good AM ceramic filter, and bigger caps on the amp. Much better than a Radio Shack 12-603, and it uses the same IC.

About the Kaide KK-818

I don't know if it's made like this or not, It starts at 108 MHz on the Left, Not the Right

SW on this is crap, The TV band is based on the China Analog TV

It seems like the Cheap Plastic on the KK-818 start coming off around speaker the glue must of got undone when I put it in my Pocket, Just to see about the Reception out of my room

What Kind of Glue can I use to keep it in place?

Clear silicone seal glue might hold it in place without melting the plastic parts. Just be careful how much you use, don't let it get on the speaker cone.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom