• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KXNG Drive Test

R

rbrucecarter5

Up 290, to 6 to 90 - solid to Madisonville, KKXT takes over the frequency at Normangee exit on I-45.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand. I just went through an ordeal with my eyes. Detached retina. Surgically reattached .... then BAD cataracts in both eyes.
I had my final cataract surgery last week and my vision is (thankfully) really great.
I have corrected the call letters for you.

Um, um...question from the peanut gallery.

Is this an analog or digital reception report? You did not specify.

Frank, glad to hear the surgery was a success. I was wondering who that sharp looking man was, who suddenly appeared in your avatar. But, alas, you shied away from it and went back to the tried and true.

I listened to (then) KUHA on a trip up I-45 in April and the signal died just north of Huntsville. Obviously the reengineered KXNG is doing better.

Um, um...question from the peanut gallery.

Is this an analog or digital reception report? You did not specify.

Frank, glad to hear the surgery was a success. I was wondering who that sharp looking man was, who suddenly appeared in your avatar. But, alas, you shied away from it and went back to the tried and true.

Analog. I didn't make the drive. A friend did who does not have HD.

Take it from an Engineer who has been down this road many times, at broadcast power levels, moisture in the transmission line (not coax) would do one or more of the following .... burn up a length of the transmission line, burn up the harmonic trap, damage the PA cavity in the transmitter.

Take it from an Engineer who has been down this road many times, at broadcast power levels, moisture in the transmission line (not coax) would do one or more of the following .... burn up a length of the transmission line, burn up the harmonic trap, damage the PA cavity in the transmitter.

Been there, done that, looked at the charred remains of the transmission line.

What's worse was the spool of new line sitting at the site for 6 months waiting for someone qualified to do the job to come do it.

Good times. (not so good)

What's worse was the spool of new line sitting at the site for 6 months waiting for someone qualified to do the job to come do it.

Worse story: I took over the VP/GM position at a top 15 market combo back in '75 (a move that cost me my last semester at ASU). I found that the FM, a full B, did not talk to anyone. It just had a bad signal everywhere, and even 10 miles from the site, it barely could be tuned.

As just one ingredient of a growing conclusion that we'd have to shut both the AM and FM off for months for a rebuild, a rigger found that the FM antenna, which had run for many years with a broken pressurizer, had a seal leak. The local climate, which shows an average of 48 inches of rain a year and 240 rainy days, had worked to fill the lower three bays out of ten with water. The transmitter still loaded, oddly enough, because the water had burnt off the inner conductor in the array sort of like a wick as it filled with water. Of course, the angle of radiation increased over time to the point it overshot the entire market.

:cool: John Your lucky the Copper Bandito didn't take care of that problem for you, I have had cooper thieves at My tower several times finally with the addition of fences with Bob wire on top, gates and cameras every where plus no cable laying around for bait, no problem in a while, but I am always on alert, they passed twice on a 500 ft roll of aluminum cable laying in the open, they don't want aluminum. A old tower man told me if You paint all your cooper buss and ground leads with aluminum paint in many cases they will leave it alone, at 3 am in the dark it looks like aluminum and with Smith & Wesson lurking in the darkness You better be fast. no time for detailed examination.

:cool: John Your lucky the Copper Bandito didn't take care of that problem for you, I have had cooper thieves at My tower several times finally with the addition of fences with Bob wire on top, gates and cameras every where plus no cable laying around for bait, no problem in a while, but I am always on alert, they passed twice on a 500 ft roll of aluminum cable laying in the open, they don't want aluminum. A old tower man told me if You paint all your cooper buss and ground leads with aluminum paint in many cases they will leave it alone, at 3 am in the dark it looks like aluminum and with Smith & Wesson lurking in the darkness You better be fast. no time for detailed examination.

At a gated mountaintop tower farm with 23 sticks in the middle of a city park, the concern is more over snakes than copper thieves because there's always somebody on duty besides the park rangers.

But it was good to finally get that line replaced and retire the old RCAs.

You mean the rattle snakes didn't get 'em?
Shucks!
Oh? I forget. The park rangers won't let one kill the snakes?????
BTW, I am not hearing any "Legal IDs" only monikers.
What's with that?

I heard the SONG RIDE by TWENTY ONE PILOTS on NGEN radio. Is this a Religious song?

Contemporary Christian stations will sometimes include songs that don't have a strictly religious message when they do have a positive message.

I don't know if that is the policy of NGEN but it's not all that unusual.

Contemporary Christian stations will sometimes include songs that don't have a strictly religious message when they do have a positive message.

You know I was thinking that too. Why doesn't Radio Aleluya play some of these style of songs let's say like TIGRES DEL NORTE? I love the song that talks about those 2 guys in the hospital where one of their daughters is pregnant and the other one is dying? I think it's SALA DE ESPERA? OR that PADRE NUESTRO.
There's this Tejano song IDK who plays it but it says JUAN WAS DRIVING ALL MAD BECAUSE HE HAD AN ARGUMENT WITH HIS PARENTS AND HE GOT KILLED IN A TRAFIC ACCIDENT.

Songs like those wouldn't hurt ALELUYA.

I encountered this type of opposition when I ran a Christian rock show. My answers were that many hymns started as drinking songs, and many hymns contain no reference whatsoever to "God"or "Jesus", and some are quite mindless (Give Me that Old Time Religion). I didn't play things that were obviously wrong like "My Sweet Lord" or "Imagine", but I did play some secular songs that had an overtly Christian message.

I heard the SONG RIDE by TWENTY ONE PILOTS on NGEN radio. Is this a Religious song?

While they do not identify themselves as a Christian band, both members of the duo are professed Christians and their music does have some religious undertones. I decided to look through the log of a Christian CHR/Rock hybrid in a market I used to live in and they're on an hourly rotation, so NGEN isn't too out of the ordinary by playing them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom