• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

In Search Of...KIPS-LD

R

robertsez

Abraham Telecasting Company LLC has sold two television stations to Omega Media Broadcasting.

The stations are: KIPS-LD, Channel 6 and KOPS-LD, both Beaumont, Texas.

The price is $226,049.

Seller principal Thomas Abraham also owns LPTV stations KVVV, Channel 15 in Houston and KXCC, Channel 45 in Corpus Christi, Texas. He sold KXLK, Channel 23 in Austin in 2015.

Buyer Omega President Daniel Melendez was former general manager of KLVL-AM Houston and operations manager for Celestial TV KQVT, Channel 24, Houston before it moved to Channel 21.

Plans for KIPS and KOPS are to have the stations program local content for the Beaumont market.

###

So, my question is, where is KIPS-LD. 87.7 has been silent for weeks. Why would someone pay $226,049 for two television stations, then not use them in the public interest, convenience and necessity? Perhaps Omega President Daniel Melendez should return the licenses to the Commission for cancellation. Alternately, perhaps the Commission should withdraw the licenses from Mr. Melendez and redistribute them to an individual or company who truly wishes to serve the Hispanic community.

Abraham Telecasting Company LLC has sold two television stations to Omega Media Broadcasting.

The stations are: KIPS-LD, Channel 6 and KOPS-LD, both Beaumont, Texas.

The price is $226,049.

Seller principal Thomas Abraham also owns LPTV stations KVVV, Channel 15 in Houston and KXCC, Channel 45 in Corpus Christi, Texas. He sold KXLK, Channel 23 in Austin in 2015.

Buyer Omega President Daniel Melendez was former general manager of KLVL-AM Houston and operations manager for Celestial TV KQVT, Channel 24, Houston before it moved to Channel 21.

Plans for KIPS and KOPS are to have the stations program local content for the Beaumont market.

###

So, my question is, where is KIPS-LD. 87.7 has been silent for weeks. Why would someone pay $226,049 for two television stations, then not use them in the public interest, convenience and necessity? Perhaps Omega President Daniel Melendez should return the licenses to the Commission for cancellation. Alternately, perhaps the Commission should withdraw the licenses from Mr. Melendez and redistribute them to an individual or company who truly wishes to serve the Hispanic community.

It has been spoken of in other topics here. They are silence at the moment because they are about to start translating from a closer tower to Houston it is even posted on their Facebook page and right now for a few seconds I heard some rock music on 87.7 FM

It has been spoken of in other topics here. They are silence at the moment because they are about to start translating from a closer tower to Houston it is even posted on their Facebook page and right now for a few seconds I heard some rock music on 87.7 FM

Really? Where is this "closer tower to Houston?" Why must they cease broadcasting while this is allegedly occurring?

They can't move their TV tower closer to Houston and still cover the Beaumont market. Try again.

They can't move their TV tower closer to Houston and still cover the Beaumont market. Try again.

Have your ever considered that covering Beaumont was never their intention?

Rock music on 87-7 in Beaumont? Very interesting I've heard a rock pirate in San Antonio recently... Did the rock music have the audio compression turned way too high? Like did it sound like they were overdoing it on the sound trying to get lots of volume?

Speaking of San Antonio you wanna hear about something I think is pretty pathetic? The 99-1 LPFM on the north side. It started out playing Spanish Christian music but for a long time it's been airing silence and it's airing silence right now as we speak... Maybe the FCC can just cancel their license to cover and give it to a better Hispanic broadcaster who won't just put up a bunch of silence and waste electricity on the transmitter. Seriously I don't get why you'd go through the trouble of building a station and just letting it go to waste.

Last edited:
Beaumont is a different market. It is not part of the Houston market.
This thread is about a low power TV station that doesn't cover the Houston Market.

Last edited:
Beaumont is a different market. It is not part of the Houston market.
This thread is about a low power TV station that doesn't cover the Houston Market.

I'll miss C-Dub & Stan. They've been our Golden Triangle representatives here on the HOU/GAL board for many a year. To cast B/PA away to the Texas board is a mistake, and I wish you'd give that decision a second thought, Frank.

We Houstonians adopted our Big Money Texas neighbors back when radio-info was still Doug's original version..and as Neil Sedaka once said, Breaking Up Is Hard to Do. You just can't send them to rot away with the long dormant Lubbock and Tyler/Longview topics on the Texas boards.

Besides, we stole a truckload of their radio facilities, AM & FM. The least we can do is share our sometimes hysterical, often illogical, never a dull moment message board.

Edit to add: Oh yeah, the subject at ✋. KIPS-LD...

D it up, homie. It has been "disposed".

Last edited:
I've always thought of Beaumont, like Galveston as part of the Houston area, not like houston itself but like a suburb. Heck in 10 years they might just be one big city.

Beaumont is a totally different market (141 I believe).
The station that you are writing about is a low power TV station. It's signal doesn't even cover Houston.
Case closed.

Unless things have changed, you can definitely tell you've left Houston before getting to Beaumont. Although the line between the two radio markets has become somewhat blurred over the years with all of the Houston move-ins that still cover Beaumont (or parts of it), it doesn't seem the same has happened with TV.

You hear that, CW? Stan? Robert?

You've been excommunicated.

Enjoy the new digs with Eggsovereasy in Lubbock, snoman, C414, & nuzguy up in Longview.

Oh....

Last edited:
You will continue to see this thread title on the Houston Board. When clicked, you will be redirected to the Texas Board.

You will continue to see this thread title on the Houston Board. When clicked, you will be redirected to the Texas Board.

Fair enough. Now, when are you going to reestablish that avatar feafuring the sharp looking man, sans spectacles?

I've always thought of Beaumont, like Galveston as part of the Houston area, not like houston itself but like a suburb. Heck in 10 years they might just be one big city.

Beaumont is a separate radio market (MSA), and even a separate TV DMA. They have never been combined.

I can only think of one major metro that expanded due to growth, and that was the 1980 combination of Miami and Ft Lauderdale into one market. The listening met the Arbitron criteria for "home market station listening" and the subscribers voted to consolidate the two markets. But that was 36 years ago and I can not think of any other major market example of that. And there is not enough listening to Houston signals in the Beaumont metro to make the cut, anyway.

I believe Dallas and Ft. Worth were separate at one time as well. I'm thinking they combined in the mid-70's but continued to release separate books for a few years afterward. The combining of the two markets likely helped end AM's run there a few years earlier than it did most everywhere else. With few exceptions, AM's were designed to cover one market or the other but not both.

I believe Dallas and Ft. Worth were separate at one time as well. I'm thinking they combined in the mid-70's but continued to release separate books for a few years afterward. The combining of the two markets likely helped end AM's run there a few years earlier than it did most everywhere else. With few exceptions, AM's were designed to cover one market or the other but not both.

Yep, I should have remembered that one. D and FW combined back in the 70's. Look at http://www.dfwradioarchives.info/ for the very striking results. Loads of near-dead AM station.

Last edited:
OK so I repeat myself they claim to be on the air stronger than ever and asking Facebook followers to comment from where are they listening to the station. Well not here in Houston it is completely unlistenable to

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom