1400 Fort Lauderdale...going..going.....gone? - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 1400 Fort Lauderdale...going..going.....gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sheridan View Post
    In case anyone cares I hear that 1400 is now Spanish simulcasting the Glades Media stations.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayR View Post
    Mike, Which Glades Media stations?
    This ONE slipped through the cracks . . . . found this on INSIDE RADIO's November 3, 2016 "Deal Digest." Cut n' Pasting the important part (from Inside Radio) regarding a "new" WFLL development. Jorgensen HAS aligned WFLL with an FM translator after all. Now, it can rebrand as an FM. (It was on the November 4th "Station Sales of the Week" page on Radio Insight as well).

"Florida – Mark Jorgenson’s ACM JCE IV 4 files a $45,000 deal to purchase the Sebring, FL-licensed translator W223CB at 92.5 from Radio 74 Internationale (and the Radio 74 wikipage). Jorgenson tells the FCC he will use the translator to rebroadcast the currently silent WFLL (1400) in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale metro."

Of course, you'll notice the FCCdata.org (link above) page for W223CB links to W228DO 93.5 . . . . Its construction Permit expired on 12/24/2016. Transmitter is out by the Turnpike along Glades Road in Boca. Here's a list at Streaming Radio Guide of all the FCC applications involving Jorgensen's ACM JCE IV. Here's W223DO FCC FM Query page.

Now, the question is . . . what programming will Jorgensen put on it (go brokered, or now that it can be an "FM" will he try a music format) and will WFLL move into WEXY's new studios. So, there you go, it will be (hopefully), WFLL 93.5 FM.
    Last edited by Radio Vagabond; 01-04-2017 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio Vagabond View Post
    This ONE slipped through the cracks . . . . found this on INSIDE RADIO's November 3, 2016 "Deal Digest." Cut n' Pasting the important part (from Inside Radio) regarding a "new" WFLL development. Jorgensen HAS aligned WFLL with an FM translator after all. Now, it can rebrand as an FM. (It was on the November 4th "Station Sales of the Week" page on Radio Insight as well).

"Florida – Mark Jorgenson’s ACM JCE IV 4 files a $45,000 deal to purchase the Sebring, FL-licensed translator W223CB at 92.5 from Radio 74 Internationale (and the Radio 74 wikipage). Jorgenson tells the FCC he will use the translator to rebroadcast the currently silent WFLL (1400) in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale metro."

Of course, you'll notice the FCCdata.org (link above) page for W223CB links to W228DO 93.5 . . . . Its construction Permit expired on 12/24/2016. Transmitter is out by the Turnpike along Glades Road in Boca. Here's a list at Streaming Radio Guide of all the FCC applications involving Jorgensen's ACM JCE IV. Here's W223DO FCC FM Query page.

Now, the question is . . . what programming will Jorgensen put on it (go brokered, or now that it can be an "FM" will he try a music format) and will WFLL move into WEXY's new studios. So, there you go, it will be (hopefully), WFLL 93.5 FM.
    Well, I'll be... This just a lot more interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by strangelove View Post
    OMG...we posted at the same time, but you beat me by a few seconds.
    Their tower on the northwest corner of Glades Rd. and the turnpike looks like WWOG's (99.9) old tower from a bygone era.
    Last edited by ai4i; 01-04-2017 at 07:00 PM.
    Ai4i has Always Been on the Trailing Edge of Technology!

Quote Originally Posted by ai4i View Post
    OMG...we posted at the same time, but you beat me by a few seconds.
    Their tower on the northwest corner of Glades Rd. and the turnpike looks like WWOG's (99.9) old tower from a bygone era.
    Shoot. Have we spoke to soon?? Reading the FCC Correspondence Folder and this letter from November 17, 2016. Dick Robinson WLML 100.3 filed objections to the translator (W223CB 92.5) that it will cause interference. Robinson was granted his request and the application for W223CB was denied? How does a station at 92.5 interfer with a station at 100.3? Is Robinson just trying to knock out the future "competition?"

I guess W223CB 92.5 is the station that WLML was referencing under it's "interference" section, and not another station at 100.3.

But . . . the NEW call sign for this translator is W228DO 93.5. The story continues . . . it stinks. WFLL can't catch a break.

Oh the call sign history for the translator . . . .

W223CB - 12/24/2013
    W262DA - 11/16/2016
    W223CB- 11/16/2016
    W228DO - 11/18/2016
    Last edited by Radio Vagabond; 01-04-2017 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio Vagabond View Post
    The story continues . . . it stinks. WFLL can't catch a break.
    According to the informal objection filed by Robinson this translator was originally going to be on WLML co-channel 262 (100.3 FM) and they used the emails from listeners who complained of interference from the W262AN (WIOD) translator in Tamarac as evidence of likely interference from the new translator which was accepted by the Commission. On Nov. 18 ACM was granted a permit modification for channel 228 (93.5, here we go again!) however the original underlying construction permit expired on 12/24/16. ACM had requested a 6 month extension of the CP deadline on Nov. 1 but I'm not finding any correspondence that indicates whether the request was granted or denied. It could still happen yet. Stay tuned!
    Last edited by strangelove; 01-05-2017 at 12:13 AM.

Time is running out unless they get another extension.....Special Temporary Authority is granted to permit Station WFLL(AM) to remain silent until October 24, 2016. Notwithstanding the grant of this Special Temporary Authority, the broadcast license for Station WFLL(AM) will automatically expire as a matter of law if broadcast operations do not resume by 12:01 a.m., October 25, 2016.
    According to the informal objection filed by Robinson this translator was originally going to be on WLML co-channel 262 (100.3 FM) and they used the emails from listeners who complained of interference from the W262AN (WIOD) translator in Tamarac as evidence of likely interference from the new translator which was accepted by the Commission. On Nov. 18 ACM was granted a permit modification for channel 228 (93.5, here we go again!) however the original underlying construction permit expired on 12/24/16. ACM had requested a 6 month extension of the CP deadline on Nov. 1 but I'm not finding any correspondence that indicates whether the request was granted or denied. It could still happen yet. Stay tuned!
    More EXCELLENT intel... from Radio and Television Business Report from November 2nd: "Could This Buy Bring A Dead Floridian Back To Life?" It's all about the long, once great, then sad history of WFTL/WFLL 1400 . . . the Robinson objections . . . the translator issues . . . all of it. Wished I read this sooner.

I LOVE how the stories begins . . . "Back in the 1970s, this radio station ruled the Fort Lauderdale Arbitron book." Remember those days when WFTL 1400 ruled? THAT's why we're all up-in-arms over the station on these boards. Because it was and it did.

AND . . . the most imporant point the article makes, and right from the mouth of Jorgensen . . . "at this point Alpha Media is not involved." (Alpha Media operates the Jorgenson-owned WFTL-AM 850 and Sports WMEN-AM 640).

Great Read!
    Last edited by Radio Vagabond; 01-05-2017 at 01:34 PM.

From what I've heard WFTL 1400 seemed to have had a pretty good run as a local talk station in the 90s in addition to its heyday in the 70s. Here's a clip from Leonard Nimoy's In Search Of... from the mid 70s that featured WFTL and a creepy phone call during a discussion of the Bermuda Triangle.

From what I've heard WFTL 1400 seemed to have had a pretty good run as a local talk station in the 90s in addition to its heyday in the 70s. Here's a clip from Leonard Nimoy's In Search Of... from the mid 70s that featured WFTL and a creepy phone call during a discussion of the Bermuda Triangle.
    Happy to say I was there that night! That series on the Bermuda Triangle got us great ratings. Listeners really got into it. It coinsided with a book that Charles Berlitz wrote. All the jocks got a copy, I believe I still have mine on the bookshelf.

I also have come to the sad conclusion that the days of WFTL 1400 will remain a memory. The area has changed too much. It was a different place and a different time. I went down there a few days before Christmas for a funeral. I couldn't believe how much the area had changed. You can't do what we once did with 1,000 watts on AM.

I was a rookie, we had great listeners who were interested in more than just music, some called in a panic when there was a storm at night or they just couldn't sleep. God help me if I gave the wrong time, they'd call up to correct me. I did overnights and it was great, without distractions people really paid attention. I was their link to the outside world. As a listener I wish we had that today instead of a computer endlessly playing the hits without human intervention. Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox. Unless you were there you can't imagine how much fun it was! As I said though it was a different place and time and we won't see it again.
    Out of the money demo...all the way out!

Happy to say I was there that night! That series on the Bermuda Triangle got us great ratings. Listeners really got into it. It coinsided with a book that Charles Berlitz wrote. All the jocks got a copy, I believe I still have mine on the bookshelf.
    Were the studios for WFTL/WGLO in that plaza at Oakland and Federal at the time? Where did Ray Smithers, the man in the video, end up?

I also have come to the sad conclusion that the days of WFTL 1400 will remain a memory. The area has changed too much. It was a different place and a different time. I went down there a few days before Christmas for a funeral. I couldn't believe how much the area had changed. You can't do what we once did with 1,000 watts on AM.
    Lauderdale has definitely grown up, much of it happening in just the past 20 years. Parts of the city I used to frequent don't even look the same as they did in 2008 when I moved to Victoria Park. I still think WFTL could hold its own as a Broward-centric station if it were well programmed and was on a FM translator. I'd settle for an oldies station too! We dare to dream...

I still think WFTL could hold its own as a Broward-centric station if it were well programmed and was on a FM translator.
    I'd settle for an oldies station too! We dare to dream...
    They would do very well in...
    Both Cemetery Villages
    Wynmoor Village
    All four phases of Sunrise Lakes
    John Knox Village
    Palm Aire
    Last edited by ai4i; 01-11-2017 at 02:07 AM.
    Ai4i has Always Been on the Trailing Edge of Technology!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast