1400 Fort Lauderdale...going..going.....gone? - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 1400 Fort Lauderdale...going..going.....gone?

In case anyone cares I hear that 1400 is now Spanish simulcasting the Glades Media stations.
    Out of the money demo...all the way out!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sheridan View Post
    In case anyone cares I hear that 1400 is now Spanish simulcasting the Glades Media stations.
    Mike,

Which Glades Media stations?

I haven't tuned in but I imagine 935...that's their Spanish one. WAFC is classic hits and wokc is country and the keys one is rock.

Quote Originally Posted by johntherogger View Post
    I haven't tuned in but I imagine 935...that's their Spanish one.
    Their website does not list a 93.5.
    Ai4i has Always Been on the Trailing Edge of Technology!

My bad. I don't know why I had that mixed up. I really thought they owned 935

Quote Originally Posted by southernjock View Post
    Speaking of WAFC and Glades Media: they are infact, running WAFZ AM1490/FM92.1 on WFLL 1400 AM, for those of you that asked on other threads. If you punch up WFLL on a radio, then pull up La Ley (which brands as 92.1 because of its FM translator), you'll see the programming matches (for those of you that don't speak/understand Spanish). But . . . WFLL has been off more than on lately, so it seems, Glades' programming on Jorgensen's station is just a temp place holder to put something over the air to move the needles while they test the equipment. And WFLL is fully installed and has new home at the WEXY 1520 AM transmitter site.
    Thanks for the response.

I was in South Florida a few days ago on family business. It was just a couple of days so my schedule was tight. Never heard anything on 1400 when I checked. I was smacked in the face with how much the area is changing. It felt a bit like the line from the Neil Diamond song "I Am I Said" ..."New York's home but it ain't mine no more".
    Out of the money demo...all the way out!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Ha! Exactly. You & I have talked about those guys outside Knoxville running an oldies station on a similarly challenged AM. A former radio engineer and a few of his friends. There is a similar station outside Boston. It doesn't take much money these days. No reason why there can't be one in every city.
    The guys "outside of Knoxville" are WKCE 1120 I would assume. The AM is a daytimer, so it is doubtful that there ever was any intention to run that as a stand alone AM - the FM translator was purchased at almost the same time. They ended up with a AM and a FM translator for less about $75K so they may do well at some point considering the relatively small investment.

The only real case to keep a dying AM at this point is to use it as a way to get a FM translator. A 1 KW AM with old equipment and ground systems has a very limited range, and unless it is now profitable a FM is usually the only chance to ever bring it back.

I was in South Florida a few days ago on family business. It was just a couple of days so my schedule was tight. Never heard anything on 1400 when I checked.
    I would do some things that are considered old fashioned. Go to the Chamber of Commerce meetings, super serve Fort Lauderdale and start from there. Get some community involvement. Person to person research, talking to people not filling out surveys or asking canned questions, listening.

There is a large part of the population that's not being served, 50's and 60's would be a definite possibility but I might even expand that to some of the softer sounds from the '70's, '80's and '90's that you don't hear on the radio anymore. It would have to be mixed carefully, no slamming you with something from the '80's and then the '50's. A mix of old pro's and young people who aren't in it just for the money but because they have a passion for it. Face it in today's world there won't be a lot of money in it. I'd still rather work in radio than work at a McDonalds. More than just music though, old radio shows, new radio shows. Something produced by a local theater group or school. There is talent out there and they're better than you can imagine.

Try to keep automation to a minimum. At least one person should be there at all times, even if it's one of the news people. After all if something newsworthy is going on an automation system alone can't cover it. Sure people want to hear music, but they also want to know why traffic is being rerouted on a busy Saturday afternoon. Sure you can get the information on your cell phone but most times it can't tell you WHY.

News Department, hire a couple of real news hounds, guys who listen to the police scanner, cover school board and county commission meetings and are really connected to the community. Face it Fort Lauderdale has a lot of retired talent who aren't ready to hang up the headphones just yet, pros who come from all over the country. They might just want to add to their retirement fund. If they can't make too much, give them some restaurant trade or something.

Sales department, sell direct, keep it small, a mix of old pros and young people all hungry to do something. Management that can motivate, inspire, challenge and make it a fun experience.

Would it work? Who knows? It might be fun to give it a try!
    Quote Originally Posted by ok walters View Post
    The only real case to keep a dying AM at this point is to use it as a way to get a FM translator. A 1 KW AM with old equipment and ground systems has a very limited range, and unless it is now profitable a FM is usually the only chance to ever bring it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by strangelove View Post
    Are they still operating at reduced power? I put on 1400 this morning at around 7:30 on Commercial Blvd. near University and only got static. At one point they were operating at 500 watts, daytime only, which was done to keep the license from automatically expiring due to it being silent for so long.

If Glades Media will be the owner and/or operator, I believe they will need to either have studios in the market (WEXY's new digs?) or get a waiver from the FCC to operate from their studios in Clewiston.

As for WAFC . . . they don't really brand themselves as a South Florida station. Even their imaging says 'we're rocking the Glades!'

I wouldn't mind hearing the Classic Hits format they have on WAFC duplicated on WFLL but if they stick with WAFZ's programming it will fill a niche in Broward.

Getting further off topic, I though Scott Shannon's True Oldies Channel on WAFC was superior to the Westwood One format they currently air. Too bad he gave it up, but he certainly had a good reason!
    Yes, as it was discussed on other threads. You are right "stangelove": WFLL is NOT operating at its full 1,000 watts. It is STILL (when it is on the air) at reduced power at this time, which I believe is 500 watts, as you said. I actually think it's more like 250w.

Glades Media does not own WFLL, nor can I find anything that shows they are going to purchase WFLL. It still shows as a Jorgenson Brokerage station, but unlike WMEN 640 and 850 WFTL, WFLL is NOT affiliated with Alpha Media (under the Palm Beach Broadcating flag).

Not sure what Jorgensen's "deal" is with Glades Media and WFLL carrying WAFZ "La Ley," if that is a permanent move, or temporary . . . and why Glades and NOT Alpha is piping in programming to WFLL.

YES, it would be nice to hear Oldies . . . whether it be Westwood One's oldies, via WAFC, or perhaps, now that Scott Shannon's True Oldies is back to terristial broadcasting via United Station's Network's, maybe they'd like to have a Miami Fort Lauderdale affiliate and WFLL 1400 can carry them.

WAFC is so far out in the sticks (of Clewiston) and barely audible in Northern Broward, via 590 AM (and you need a whip antenna to pick it up, a shark-fin or a windshield antenna doesn't pick it up), that it can't call itself a "South Florida" or even a "Tresure Coast" station. Its over 40 plus miles west of the West Palm market.

As for WFLL 1400's survival: As some else said on another thread (or was it this one), WFLL needs to align itself with an FM translator and rebrand as an FM. If not, and WFLL remains a stand-alone AM, it will NEEDS to broker airtime.

A thought: For a while, Alpha Media continued Palm Beach Broadcasting's 103 The Buzz internet stream (left over from 103.1 The Buzz when they purchased the station from CBS Radio). If they still have all that alternative rock loaded in a file server (it was all programmed locally with Mariah from Country WIRK 103.1 as its PD/MD, is my understanding), Jorgensen should have Alpha pipe alternative rock onto 1400 WFLL, BUT, that is contigent on it getting an FM translator . . . . Either that, or Oldies from Westwood One or United Radio Stations. BUT, with the rejection (for the most part) of that Soft AC version of "alternative" of the Shark 104.3 missing the mark with listeners, they're so hungry for a "real" alternative station (their words via social media platforms . . . not mine), listeners might brave the AM band . . . but with web streams and phone apps, WFLL could over come a lack of an FM translator.

Then again, if you got a bunch of radio old timers that wanted to set it up as a live and local outlet like Knoxville WKCE 1120 -- as a labor of love -- that would be nice, as well. SoFla, with the demise of Magic 102.7, could use an Oldies outlet playing 60s and 70s hits, with maybe a specialty show covering the 50s, with jocks who "talk to" their audience and not yell at them, and "communicate and relate" to the audience. Not everyone is on board with the Latin and Disco leaning version of the "Oldies" offered by 102.7 The Beach, so it could work.
    Last edited by Radio Vagabond; 01-02-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Reached my "edit limit" on previous post . . . . so, new post . . . . I don't see any stand alone WEXY posts/threads . . . seems to fit here.

And since WEXY 1520 is all twisted into the WFLL 1400 tale . . . seen this on another thread . . . . regarding WFLL on the WEXY tower.

Quote Originally Posted by southernjock View Post
    And WFLL is fully installed and has new home at the WEXY 1520 AM transmitter site.

Also, driving down I-95, I noticed WEXY's Blue and Red neon sign blazing. I did travel down Oakland Park and noticed WEXY is no longer in Wilton Manors in that dinky grey house. They are in new digs, tucked behind in a office park, behind Lowe's. I'll take a shot at a guess: Much like Jorgensen still owning and running WMEN 640 and WFTL 850, but having the studios set up inside Alpha Media's complex (the old one time CBS digs at Northpoiont Parkway) with that LMA . . . I wonder if Jorgensen will set up a similar deal with Mulitcultural Radio, that is, Jorgensen will finance the build of studios for WFLL 1400 inside WEXY's new offices . . . and they'll (MRBI/WEXY) will provide "production services" to Jorgensen.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast