• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1400 Fort Lauderdale...going..going.....gone?

This is exactly what would work and it's wonderful to hear someone who still cares about radio like this.

Great...make the owner an offer. I bet he'd take the first $200K that walked in the door. The two of you can easily raise that money.

What? You mean my money and not somebody else's?

Ha! Exactly. You & I have talked about those guys outside Knoxville running an oldies station on a similarly challenged AM. A former radio engineer and a few of his friends. There is a similar station outside Boston. It doesn't take much money these days. No reason why there can't be one in every city.

The guy who used to run WKQV in northwest Broward county is a retired millionair, but he has lost all interest in radio. :-(

With all the talk about WFLL 1400 going on one of the two WEXY 1520 towers . . . though this article was relevant to the conversation. Its from the North Jersey.com news site. WEXY, as we known, is owned by Multicultural Radio Broadcasting. The article is about Korean Radio Broadcasting Inc., the LMA'er who purchases and programs WWRU-AM 24/7, have filed the lawsuit against Multicultural Radio Broadcasting, Inc., and allege that MRBI is not doing the proper repair, maintain, and operate the station towers, transmitter sites and equipment for WWRU-AM 1660. Its a good read . . . .

And as for WIRA 1400 AM in Fort Pierce, which, if WFLL 1400 moved too far north (or anywhere out of the Fort Lauderdale metro area and not on WEXY's stick) they'd interfere with WIRA; WIRA is having their own interference issues with their translator at 97.1 causing problems for WOSN 97.1 FM in Vero Beach. A good pick up by Alex Browne over on the R.I U.S Radio by State boards, Radio in Florida, under "WOSN Interference."

Wonder where WFLL 1400 will end up, if ever . . . .

Last edited:
There's is a great story, just published yesterday, (over on R.I) regarding Cumulus shutting down WTOD-AM 1470 in Toledo, Ohio (the Wikipedia Link already updated with the latest on the shutdown).

I mention WTOD's fate, as I feel it is relevant to the WFLL 1400 discussion.

WTOD's fate: they've been on a STA for 13 years, since 2003, and it was set to expire today, Sunday the 25th (Just like WFLL, as you have noted). WTOD has a faulty ground system, and tower issues, multiple CPs in place for repairs and tower relocation. The argument for turning the license in was cost vs. return on the investment, and Cumulus felt it best to just turn in the license and let someone else take a crack at it.

Someone else pointed out that it is Cumulus' second AM shutdown: they also took WTOD 1450 in Hartville, SC as well for the same reasons.

Another person pointed out that we could be seeing more of these standalone AMs shutting down, that its hard to sell them, and that Cumulus did the right thing in turning it in.

So, while this thread and others threads have talked about saving/what would I do with WFLL, is honorable, if a company like Cumulus can't do it, who can? WFLL has no land, no towers . . . . Then you get into the whole rent vs. issue argument. Then, there's the cost of an FM translator to re-brand argument, which seems to be the only way these small AM's can survive--with a translator. Major bucks to spend.

So, the question is, wouldn't it just be better for the owners who got WFLL in the bankruptcy to just turn in the license? And as with the opinion of WTOD, "let someone take a try at it with WFLL."

But I wonder (personal opinion moments, now): If the translators really improve the AM's fortunes: 1340 WPBR has four translators. Beasley's Boca Cluster has three (WNNN has one; two are on WSBR). Is it really, does anyone know, if it improved their financial situtation/ratings? These are all brokered outlets; does that mean they can increase the brokering fees, thus make more money, as result of increased signal being on the "FM?"

I can see if you're flipping the AM to a music format (or real, live-local talk) and translating and re-branding as an FM (WSUV Seaview 960 AM, now known as 95.9 the Palm via a translator as an example; in fact, they're on two translators, using the stronger FM for the "rebrand"), and they are out on the street, doing promotions, handing out swag and building "the brand." But brokered AM? There's no promotion (outside of what the paid host does out of their own pocket) no swag, nothing. I can see Beasley holding on, but how is WPRB running an AM and four translators. The montly cost of operating five sites must be astronomical.

Also have to note: FM rebranding does work -- in the WPB books WSVU from May to June, across four months, went from a 1.0 to a 1.4, and high as a 1.6, for a station, when it was just Seaview 960 AM with no translators, never showed in the books. In fact, it wasn't even a pure music station; they were brokering weekends and evenings to generate income to survive -- and 95.9 The Palm is pure music, no brokering.

Last edited:
There's a finite number of translators available in metropolitan areas. So chances of getting three or four in a populated area isn't good. In any case, you're talking about a major investment for long term return. A stand-alone AM is a hobby, not a source for profits. There are much better investments out there.

On 9-9-2016, granted STA to operate WFLL daytime only and at reduced power.

The CP authorizes to construct co-located facility with unlimited hours, non-directional 1000kw-D/N, and they have to install filters so as to not interfere with WEXY’s directional nighttime pattern. WEXY operates non-directionally during the daytime from one tower, directional at nighttime from two towers.

WFLL has ordered, but not received, the equipment necessary to complete the mods. It’s expected to arrive the last week of September and operations could resume second week of October. But the filtering equipment for both stations to operate in the night time won’t be ready until October 24 (thus, the daytime/reduced power being temporarily granted).

Scroll to bottom of the FCCdata.org link for WFLL's page, to BSTA 20160826AAB 9/9/2016 to link out to the FCC gov page for the full application info.

And tune in between October 9 to the 15th to see if WFLL goes back on the air (during the daytime).

After reading the North Jersey.com news site (see post #25 above) regarding the allegations by WWRU's LMA'ers, wondering about the condition of WEXY's site. And that transmitter building looks pretty small (from Google Earth perspective). Will WFLL's equipment all fit in there?

Last edited:
Ha! Exactly. You & I have talked about those guys outside Knoxville running an oldies station on a similarly challenged AM. A former radio engineer and a few of his friends. There is a similar station outside Boston. It doesn't take much money these days. No reason why there can't be one in every city.

This would be so fantastic to have a station like this in South Florida (especially WFLL). I'd work there, probably for free or minimum wage, and work my tail off to help make it successful. To dream!

And as for WIRA 1400 AM in Fort Pierce, which, if WFLL 1400 moved too far north (or anywhere out of the Fort Lauderdale metro area and not on WEXY's stick) they'd interfere with WIRA; WIRA is having their own interference issues with their translator at 97.1 causing problems for WOSN 97.1 FM in Vero Beach. A good pick up by Alex Browne over on the R.I U.S Radio by State boards, Radio in Florida, under "WOSN Interference."

Wonder where WFLL 1400 will end up, if ever . . . .

Good Catch and update about WIRA 1400 from Alex Browne, again, over on the Radio by State Radio in Florida boards.

The pesky translator for WIRA at 97.1 is off the air, BUT, WIRA has applied for CP for translator at 104.9 in the Vero Beach area. And, turns out, WIRA 1400 Fort Pierce is simulacating WPOM Rivera Beach's Creole format. WPOM 1600? The old Disney station, WMNE? I forgot all about them. WPOM Wikipedia, WPOM website (very nice website), WPOM Radio Locator, WPOM FCCdata.org page.

But now, since WFLL is definitely going on WEXY's tower(s) and it's not moving, no worries about interfering with WIRA.

Last edited:
This would be so fantastic to have a station like this in South Florida (especially WFLL). I'd work there, probably for free or minimum wage, and work my tail off to help make it successful. To dream!

I don't live in the area any more but I too would like to see this happen. Yes the WEXY transmitter building is small but the good news is so are the transmitters these days. I don't think there will be a problem, although I don't think either station will have an aux transmitter on site. That's okay because most transmitters have hot swappable modules anyway.

As I've said here many times I have great memories of working for "The Voice of Broward WFTL Radio 14". 850 will always be WEAT West Palm Beach to me, not even the same market.

Funny thing is the first station I worked for was WAXY when it was co-owned with WEXY. Yep thought I was a big deal when I got that first paycheck with the stations call letters on it. That was short lived when the cute little bank teller asked me: "What's a WEXY-WAXY?" Ego instantly deflated, that's show biz!

You mean the "cute little bank teller" did not ask you,
"What's a WIXX-WIXX"?

"Top Gun in Broward, WIXX"

Last edited:
You mean the "cute little bank teller" did not ask you,
"What's a WIXX-WIXX"?

"Top Gun in Broward, WIXX"

Top Gun would be so politically incorrect now! I remember those days but only as a listener. WIXX-FM used to be WFLM and at first when Tedesco bought the FM it was only on from 6pm till midnight. Maybe they didn't have the lines run to the AM studios or something, I don't remember. I really liked the stations.

All I remember, is that when WFLM became WIXX-FM, they reduced their power and likely their transmitter location, and went from having nice, wide stereo separation, to being monaural.
Other Broward County FM's at the time included WWIL, WMJR, WFTL-FM, and eventually WRBD-FM.
The only south Florida FM's on TV towers at the time were WTHS-FM & WJHR.

All I remember, is that when WFLM became WIXX-FM, they reduced their power and likely their transmitter location, and went from having nice, wide stereo separation, to being monaural.
Other Broward County FM's at the time included WWIL, WMJR, WFTL-FM, and eventually WRBD-FM.
The only south Florida FM's on TV towers at the time were WTHS-FM & WJHR.

Yes, you are correct about WIXX-FM being Mono. They probably didn't want to run a stereo pair of phone lines to the transmitter. However the transmitter didn't move, and the power stayed the same. It was on top of the First Federal Bank building at 301 E. Las Olas Blvd antenna hight was 165 feet and only horizontally polarized using a Gates FM-10B that later saw service at WAFG the Christian FM. Wow talk about useless trivia!

WAXY was stereo due to the fact the automation was at the transmitter site. By the time I got there the Scully tape decks had 14" reels on them when the norm is 10.5" reels. This was so they didn't have to drive to downtown from Oakland Park to do a tape change at noon. They had remote meters for the transmitter at the WEXY studio. More useless trivia, but fun to remember!

Hope someone will let us know when WFLL 1400 comes back on. I'm curious to see what they do with it.

Some may think thus staton will go off the air during Matthew, which is coming towards the Palm Beaches, but close to Ft. Lauderdale.

I meant this station, the hurricane may take 1400 off the air for them.
BTW, I was on a phone, so it was actually autocorrect that made me type stuff wrong. Darn you, autocorrect!

What WFLL really needs is a 250w translator on either of the tallest buildings in Fort Lauderdale or the police tower at the Plantation city police department.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom