1400 Fort Lauderdale...going..going.....gone? - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 1400 Fort Lauderdale...going..going.....gone?

Here is the Radio and Television Business Report from November 2, 2016 spoken/referenced/linked in this thread (above) in full . . . . great history on WFLL and their translator troubles to get you up to speed.

************************************************** ************************************************** **********************

That was not to last, as a growing region led Arbitron to combine the Miami and Fort Lauderdale ratings surveys as listeners found stations with larger AM signals and greater choices on the FM dial.

By 1986, the station lingered in the mid 1-share range. By the mid-2000s, it took on a Caribbean format. It was then a short-lived ESPN Radio affiliate, and also aired Classic Country and Brazilian programming before going dark.

Now broker Mark Jorgenson is celebrating Día de los Muertos by bringing a dead station back to life, as he’s just paid for an FM translator that will more than “revitalize” a station that signed on in 1946 from a houseboat on the New River.

The station is WFLL-AM 1400 in Fort Lauderdale, which boasted the WFTL call letters until 2013, when they shifted to AM 850, then WDJA in Boca Raton, Fla.

In the mid-1970s, as Full Service WFTL, the station dominated Broward County with a 1kw signal covering what was then the metropolitan area.

The addition of W223CB will help return WFTL to serving all of Broward County, in addition to North Dade communities such as Aventura and Golden Beach.

The translator is relocating from Sebring, Fla., as Jorgenson’s ACM JCE IV B INC. is acquiring it from Radio 74 Internationale for $45,000. A 10% deposit has been made to escrow agent Donald E. Martin, P.C.

Jorgenson tells RBR + TVBR that W223CB will take the 100.3 MHz frequency.

That should make iHeartRadio a bit flustered. From April 2010 through March 2014, translator W262AN held the 100.3 MHz signal from a Broward County-based translator and provided Talk WIOD-AM 610 in Miami with an FM home. It was killed after Jim Robinson complained about interference to his Class A Nostalgia station, WLML-FM in Lake Park, Fla., which serves the West Palm Beach market.

Asked about potential interference, Robinson said, “We’ll see what works out. Our main focus is just to get our head in the ring.”

It is also about getting WFLL back on the air, after its tower was destroyed in a hurricane under a previous owner.

“WFLL has had a history of problems, and we have duplex construction going on right now with a shared tower – Multicultural Radio Broadcasting’s Class B WEXY-AM 1520,” Jorgenson adds. “A new transmitter is on site, and we hope to be back on the air in November.”

Jorgenson says he is unsure of what WFLL will air but says “at this point Alpha Media is not involved.”

Alpha Media operates the Jorgenson-owned WFTL-AM 850 and Sports WMEN-AM 640.
    Last edited by southernjock; 01-22-2017 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by southernjock View Post
    The addition of W223CB, formerly W228DO, will help return WFTL to serving all of Broward County,
    in addition to North Dade communities such as Aventura and Golden Beach.
    W223CB, formerly W228DO, will cover Deerfield Beach and Boca Raton.
    Ai4i has Always Been on the Trailing Edge of Technology!

Quote Originally Posted by ai4i View Post
    W223CB, formerly W228DO, will cover Deerfield Beach and Boca Raton.
    You may want to go back through this thread and get yourself up to speed on the subject matter, comprehend it, before commenting and putting down posts.

I did not make this statement. It is from the reporting of A Jacobonson on November 2, 2016 on the Radio and Television Business Report . . . and it is clearly stated as such in the post. Take your opinion with the inaccuracy (there is none) with him.

The sentence you take issue with (that you rewrote) IS:

The addition of W223CB will help return WFTL to serving all of Broward County, in addition to North Dade communities such as Aventura and Golden Beach.

Nowhere in this sentence (or article from the RTBR in full) says that W223CB will cover North Dade communities such as Aventura and Golden Bearch, OR ALL of Broward County. The sentence clearly states that WFTL (WFLL 1400) "will return to serve all of Broward IN ADDITION to the North Dade Communites such as Aventura and Golden Beach".

It is the ADDITION of W223CB that will "HELP RETURN" WFTL (WFLL) to serving all of Broward and North Dade.

Sadly, the excellent coverage maps on the previously linked FCC application have been removed as the application has been updated. However, go to links for W223CB and WFLL 1400 on Radio Locator and you can clearly see that the coverage of W223CB is CLEARLY INSIDE and NORTH of the WFLL coverage area. Nowhere does it reach Aventura or cover all of Broward.

Also your "correction" of the useage of W223CB as being "wrong." If you read the article, which is clearly dated NOVEMBER 2, 2016 ...at the time of the article being written, the CORRECT calls WERE W223CB as they were coming into play by November 16th. The NEW CALLS of W228DO didn't exist yet (until 11/18)

This translator has gone from 100.3 to 92.5 to the current 93.5, which is W228CB.

AND W223CB wasn't formerly W228DO. W228DO is CLEARLY the current and most recent calls and W223CB is THE FORMER call sign.

See the Call Sign History for yourself (its on Radio Rec if you want to see it for yourself)

W223CB - 12/24/2013
    W262DA - 11/16/2016
    W223CB- 11/16/2016
    W228DO - 11/18/2016

This translator (the AM Revitalization Plan) will HELP WFLL, not replace WFLL. I know what translators are and do. So does A Jacobson. Do you? It seems you don't.
    Last edited by southernjock; 01-23-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by southernjock View Post
    I know what translators are and do...It seems you don't.
    That was quite a voluminous reply to my seven innocent little words, "will cover Deerfield Beach and Boca Raton".
    I was not putting anyone down, but I do not think that even George Carlin's seven words elicited a much more hostile response.
    Please, please forgive me for inhaling your precious oxygen, let me crawl back into my dark corner where it is warm.
    Last edited by ai4i; 01-23-2017 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ai4i View Post
    That was quite a voluminous reply to my seven innocent little words, "will cover Deerfield Beach and Boca Raton".
    I was not putting anyone down, but I do not think that even George Carlin's seven words elicited a much more hostile response.
    Please, please forgive me for inhaling your precious oxygen, let me crawl back into my dark corner where it is warm.
    Yeah, I didn't see where ai4i was being hostile toward you, seems like more of a misunderstanding that could have been cleared up with a more proportional response.

Quote Originally Posted by strangelove View Post
    Yeah, I didn't see where ai4i was being hostile toward you,
    seems like more of a misunderstanding that could have been cleared up with a more proportional response.
    Thanks

The big question is... Did all this ever come about? Is 1400 on? If so what are they doing with it?
    Out of the money demo...all the way out!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sheridan View Post
    The big question is... Did all this ever come about? Is 1400 on? If so what are they doing with it?
    As of this past weekend 1400 is not on the air and the application for the translator is pending

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678